Those of you with DPFs removed...

Talk to me please!

I have just about enough cash to get mine removed from my car as it's doing my head. No blockages, but sick of it running like crap!

Talk to me about it, I will be having it removed - nothing else, no remaps etc!

• Has it improved MPG? If so, how much?
  • Has it improved performance?
  • Everything running okay?

Cheers

Luke

Besides higher performance maps, I have had the stage 0 shark map on my car and it's great. Economy up, feels nicer to drive. No hassles. G450 sensor (unreliable part) mapped out too as a bonus. Highly recommended.

Really hard to quantify, I would estimate mid single figure percentage improvements? I suspect it depends on car, driver and usage. Put it this way, couple of weeks ago I filled up after 630 miles. I reckon that's pretty impressive on a pd170. That was mainly motorway, not driving for economy and I think equates to 52mpg.

That does sound good, although I have got 620 miles on mine - similar journeys but I reckon the vRS is a bigger car over mine (Leon FR).

I would like to see into 500s more round town.

On a run to Warwick and back yesterday at 'motorway' speeds :giggle: I got about 48mpg with our 4x4 2.0 PD Estate - after a visit to Shark earlier this year...

You've had a DPF delete on a 4x4 Octavia?

I've heard this requires quite a bit more work as some of the 4x4 gubbins need to be removed to access the DPF, is this the case?

You've had a DPF delete on a 4x4 Octavia?

I've heard this requires quite a bit more work as some of the 4x4 gubbins need to be removed to access the DPF, is this the case?

Yep I have - I think I was one of the first, if not the first, Octavia 4x4 they had done but I could be wrong. The guys at Shark would confirm but I think I'm right in saying it's steering rack, propshaft and various other bits but not the transfer box and even then it required some brute force to move things enough to get the DPF out past everything.

Luke,

My PD170 vRS is giving me trouble with its DPF, I too am getting a little fed up of the rough running during the increasingly regular regen attempts.

I've spoken with a few guys off here that have had the DPF's removed on theor PD170's (all at Shark) and they have nothing but praise.

Better MPG by around 5mpg, much more drivable (smoother power delivery and easier to drive smoothly in stop-start traffic) and no issues either.

All have had MOT's too since without issues. VOSA recently confirmed to another member on here via email that evidence of a DPF removal (whether it be a straight through pipe or having the DPF opened and gutted) is NOT an MOT failure. It just needs to pass the soot test.

I haven't had mine done (yet) but from what I've heard and read - go for it!

Thanks all for your replies and thanks Silver for that information.

I defo want it doing now, just so it just gets rid and doesn't cause issues in the future too.

Yep I have - I think I was one of the first, if not the first, Octavia 4x4 they had done but I could be wrong. The guys at Shark would confirm but I think I'm right in saying it's steering rack, propshaft and various other bits but not the transfer box and even then it required some brute force to move things enough to get the DPF out past everything.

Mine was done by Jabba & they took the transfer box off, Im guessing they decided against brute force or perhaps they havent got as big a hammer as Shark :giggle: Def worth doing though

I think it completely depends on what driving you do and what you want from your engine.

If i didt do my job (looooads of urban driving) and i didt want the stage two i would of kept my DPF on. The only time it burns more fuel (noticeably) it when it regenerates and if it a healthy DPF and you do a mixture of driving then you shoudlt see a regen and less then 800 or so miles, it would take forever to pay itself off.

However if you do want to push the performance further and/or your DPF is starting to clog up too often then get it off! Mine increased by about 15bhp once it was off compared to normal. I now get 150miles+ extra out of a tank, purely because it was regenerating that often.

I liked the idea of having a diesel that didt smoke..you should see it now, i put my boot down this morning, caught my hand on the bumper and my hand was black! (this is with a maps aswell though)

Guest liverpoolphil

Suggest you talk to Ben @ Shark. I believe he has done a number of these

Mine was one of them, best £450 I've spent on a car!! Total transformation, much smoother delivery throughout the rev range, better fuel economy.

The only time it burns more fuel (noticeably) it when it regenerates and if it a healthy DPF and you do a mixture of driving then you shoudlt see a regen and less then 800 or so miles, it would take forever to pay itself off.

The DPF regens every 300-400 miles whether it needs to or not. This is part of the programming on the PD170.

For me this is every other day.

They say you shouldn't notice the car performing a regen. I buy this as we've never noticed one on the wife's PD140.

However my PD170 is a different story though, only in that the throttle response changes and things get much less smooth which is very noticeable in slow moving traffic or setting off through 1st and 2nd.

Due to the mileage I do my DPF is regenerating every other day so I'm experiencing the negative effects of a regen too often for comfort.