sat nav options?

Hyeung

Hi,

I understand there 2 types of sat nav options available for the yeti?

Can someone advice me as to what the differences are between them? Also, can i confirm they both optional extras, and are they only available in certain specs?

Thanks,

Hung

There are 3 types of Sat Nav for the Yeti. The first is the Amunsden which is only available on the SE Plus, the second the Amunsden + which is only available on the Urban, this unit benefits from DAB and the third is the Columbus unit available on the SE and Elegance models (non DAB).

Hope that helps.

Is there any plans to roll out the Amunsden+ on other

Specs I.e elegance?

Out of the 3 sat nav options, what's the views on the better one?

I assume the Columbus is the only one that's avaiable as an optional

extra at 1.5k.

As far as I am aware (small fish big pond) there are no immediate plans to introduce the Amunsden + as an optional extra through the range.

The Columbus is the only one available as a factory option at present.

With regards to the better of the units, the easiest way is to try and find 2 cars with the differing units to find out, a hands on approach is generally easier than trawling through posts etc.

Maybe there is a couple of members local to you who have the contrasting units? Alternatively, look at a Superb Elegance (Columbus as standard) and Octavia/Superb SE Plus (Amunsden as standard) to get a feel for each system.

As far as I am aware (small fish big pond) there are no immediate plans to introduce the Amunsden + as an optional extra through the range.

The Columbus is the only one available as a factory option at present.

With regards to the better of the units, the easiest way is to try and find 2 cars with the differing units to find out, a hands on approach is generally easier than trawling through posts etc.

Maybe there is a couple of members local to you who have the contrasting units? Alternatively, look at a Superb Elegance (Columbus as standard) and Octavia/Superb SE Plus (Amunsden as standard) to get a feel for each system.

Many thanks on your input! Lee is it?

Cheers

Edited by Hyeung

I have experience of both the Amundsen and the Columbus units. In my opinion the Columbus is a far superior unit to the Amundsen. That is why it is such a high priced option for 'Factory Fit'. My current Yeti had the Bolero unit in when I bought it and this is also a superb unit but lacking amongst other things Sat-Nav.

I bought a Columbus unit off Ebay and fitted it in place of the Bolero. Fabulous unit - Sat-Nav with 7 digit postcodes and speed cameras already loaded, DVD player, Hard Drive and with the Bluetooth already fitted it all blends together excellently.

Peter

There are 3 types of Sat Nav for the Yeti. The first is the Amunsden which is only available on the SE Plus, the second the Amunsden + which is only available on the Urban, this unit benefits from DAB and the third is the Columbus unit available on the SE and Elegance models (non DAB).

Hope that helps.

My SE Plus has the Amundsen+ but without DAB. Not sure if there are other differences.

John

I have experience of both the Amundsen and the Columbus units. In my opinion the Columbus is a far superior unit to the Amundsen. That is why it is such a high priced option for 'Factory Fit'. My current Yeti had the Bolero unit in when I bought it and this is also a superb unit but lacking amongst other things Sat-Nav.

I bought a Columbus unit off Ebay and fitted it in place of the Bolero. Fabulous unit - Sat-Nav with 7 digit postcodes and speed cameras already loaded, DVD player, Hard Drive and with the Bluetooth already fitted it all blends together excellently.

Peter

For what it's worth, I have found the Amundsen in my SE Plus perfectly OK. It doesn't have DVD or storage.

John

Hi,

There is another route that is cheaper and more flexible. Fit a Tomtom / Garmin or whatever you have yourself. Full fitting

details can be found here - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/175307-skoda-yeti-sat-nav-installation/

I will be putting my Tomtom in tomorrow. The result will be a system that is easy to update, is much much cheaper than the Skoda option and has the added benefit of detecting those static tax collectors that you normally find on blind bends, halfway down a hill or cunningly hidden by the undergrowth!!

Thanks for all your feedback.....as I'm keen on the elegance spec and want the integration, I think it's going to be the Columbus option for me. I'll probably be happy enough with the Amundsen if this was available for the elegance.

Its strange why the elegance spec is not just the addition stuff over the SE Plus.....which would have been ideal.

Updating a Sat Nav why because the council has that annoying habit of moving all the roads around during the night

No they don't and I have the older update on my Columbus and have only once in 10 months found myself on a road that did not feature on the Columbus and then all I did. Was use those things at the side of the road called "Road Signs" as all new roads have them along the side of the road telling you where to go.

Hi,

There is another route that is cheaper and more flexible. Fit a Tomtom / Garmin or whatever you have yourself. Full fitting

details can be found here - http://www.briskoda....v-installation/

I will be putting my Tomtom in tomorrow. The result will be a system that is easy to update, is much much cheaper than the Skoda option and has the added benefit of detecting those static tax collectors that you normally find on blind bends, halfway down a hill or cunningly hidden by the undergrowth!!

Most hearterly agree, I have an Amundsen in my Greenline as well as a TomTom Go 730, there is no comparison, TomTom will always come out top.

The TomTom maps are free if you know how to share them.

You can change the operating system whenever you like.

There are addon applications for offroad.

You can make up your own POI sets

If you find a wrong turn indicated, you can correct it and the TomTom remembers it

It goes on and on

If anyone is interested, I have a Brodit proclip (http://www.brodit.com/product.html?id=604395&pn=prod&brand=Skoda&model=Yeti&year=2010) that I took out of my Yeti Elegance when I got my new SE Plus which has the Amundsen as standard. MynTomTom is now in my M-B 190.

It fits on the UK driver's side windscreen pillar. Fitting instructions are on the Brodit site at the above link.

You would need to buy the appropriate mounting for your device.

I'll send it free of charge to the first person to pm me If anyone wants it.

John

Updating a Sat Nav why because the council has that annoying habit of moving all the roads around during the night

No they don't and I have the older update on my Columbus and have only once in 10 months found myself on a road that did not feature on the Columbus and then all I did. Was use those things at the side of the road called "Road Signs" as all new roads have them along the side of the road telling you where to go.

New roads do open, junctions do change, one way streets do alter.

What happens in 3 years time, say, with a new owner?

My Garmin takes 5 minutes to up-date. How long will it take you to up-date your Columbus?

Technology develops; hardware and software both change. The satnav in my XT should have been updated three times (I believe) during the six years we've had it. At around £150 a go for the CDs. So we are quite used to driving across large blank areas of screen - e.g. the south-east approach to Milton Keynes (if you really have to) or the new Dorchester-Weymouth road .

Local roadsigns may not help if you are driving through completely unknown territory.

Card-driven built-in satnav is OK, because you can take the card to the computer for updating; otherwise, the Garmin/Tom Tom type standalone has a lot going for it. IMHO the standalone can usually be fitted in a better position than the Columbus/Amundsen/X-T built-in type, which have a screen far too low to be driver-friendly.

Thanks for all your feedback.....as I'm keen on the elegance spec and want the integration, I think it's going to be the Columbus option for me. I'll probably be happy enough with the Amundsen if this was available for the elegance.

Its strange why the elegance spec is not just the addition stuff over the SE Plus.....which would have been ideal.

I always thought the SE+ was a bit like the business-man specials from Ford and Vauxhall - for which satnav is now derigeur - only of course a Yeti is not commonly a motorway pounder salesrepmobile. So the SE+ is the "Family" special (eg rear seat trays) as well as the repmobile special... whereas an Elegance owner would presumably be the boss in Skoda's eyes (who can either afford a Columbus unit, or doesn't drive to customers)... :)

PS: I no longer use a dedicated satnav but use a smartphone - many have GPS these days, and satnav software ranges from free (NavFree - quite good in the UK) to pricey (TomTom). Previously I used an iPod Touch with a GPS mount (actually still do if I want to have different opinions on a route), and of course still carry an atlas too as backup (yes I'm in IT - always have a backup!).

My problem with most stand alone sat nav's and even my iPhone, is the screen size. I can barely read it.

An iPad would be fine running TomTom. (9.7" screen)

Failing that the 6.5" screen of the Columbus is a good alternative for me personally. Plus it puts directions right in front of my eyes on the maxidot display, which is brilliant.

... whereas an Elegance owner would presumably be the boss in Skoda's eyes (who can either afford a Columbus unit, or doesn't drive to customers)... :)

I'm a boss who traded an Elegance for a specced up SE Plus!

John

My problem with most stand alone sat nav's and even my iPhone, is the screen size. I can barely read it.

An iPad would be fine running TomTom. (9.7" screen)

Failing that the 6.5" screen of the Columbus is a good alternative for me personally. Plus it puts directions right in front of my eyes on the maxidot display, which is brilliant.

Funny enough I tried the WiFi iPad plugged into the iPod GPS holder via an extension cable - works fine but might be difficult to mount!