After returning from the too brief Euro trip, we have realised a few things might be nice to have on the Fabia.

As some of you may have guessed, I am IT restricted, so can't readily search for stuff.

How do you get hold of under seat storage for the Fabia, how much, is it dealer only (i.e. are there after market copies), easy to fit?

Same for sunglasses holder, which I think my Dad has had fitted to his estate in place of the hard plastic panel behind the rear view mirror.

Are there any other smally bits like this that are easy to get, inexpensive and easy to fit? And worth fitting?

I have also thought about the stereo. I have the standard (Swing?) with single CD slot and MDI cable, so not too bad, but is there a DAB option upgrade? Are the other interface cables (MDI to USB, MDI to mini-USB for other MP3 players) easy to source? I looked on fleabay and saw a few, but wasn't sure on quality and which to go for.

As for the stereo, again, I have searched on fleabay and seen some VAG head units, but they seem almost as pricey as a new one from a dealer - will they readily swap one out at a service for example?

The last one was a spare wheel. Having survived the continent without incident (or spare), I really ought to get one, just in case, especially given the local roads' propensity to create sink holes in front of me...what are peoples thoughts - dealer bought alloy? Dealer bought spare steel? Used alloy? Used steel?

I am grateful for response - all food for thought and staves off the boredom of doing actual work while the office is in the midst of a heatwave!

2 days and no bites...

I am now even more miffed, as Mrs PDIBK has had her company Golf delivered...yes, it's not hers and the Monte is mine. Yes, it's worth more anyway. Yes, it's not as cool...

But there are som ereally good bits inside that I may have to lever out of hers and sneak into mine:

Better stereo (VW DAB unit, touch screen)

Bluetooth connectivity

Sunglasses holder

Multifunction steering wheel (can you retro-fit these?)

Arm rest...

Now where are my screw drivers?

Arm rest is an accessory, about £120

The kenwood upgrade maybe worth a look. Its does away with the mdi and cost £900ish fitted

But includes sat nav bluetooth and usb/aux port for usb sticks or mp3 players

If you keep the stadard radio you can get other cables from the dealer :)

I have a Superb and it came without a spare wheel and with a can of tyreweld. I have just bought winter wheels - new steel rims and 16" tyres - which are as close as possible to the rolling circumference of the Themisto 18" alloys and 225/40s that it came with, so that the speedo isn't out by a significant amount.

Point is, I'll be using one of those for my spare until I get a matching spare alloy and tyre for the 'summer'. Not having a spare wheel worries me when I have the family in the car. Also bought the jack set.

I found the sunglasses holder in the ceiling a bit useless - they drop out when trying to get at them while moving along so I now put mine in the cup holder or the armrest!

I agree about the sunglassed holder - not much use unless you have ones that fold pretty flat. Neither my BLOC or Oakley glasses fit in the Fabia or Octavia sunglasses holder.

The space under the seat is available along with a lot of other accessories (arm rest) here http://www.theskodashop.co.uk/category/Fabia_2007_____,b.html?sortBy=FeaturedDesc

I bought my iPhone MDI cable for £5 fom ebay (£28 in the dealer) and there are ones for USB etc available on there too. Im thinking about getting this HD and a new MDI cable for it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-FreeAgent-GoFlex-Ultra-portable-External/dp/B003NE5GZO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345559010&sr=8-3

Thanks guys - I can't open fleabay at work, but I'll take a peek later. Good to know on the glasses front - Oakleys for me means they probably wont fit.

The underseat storage would have been really useful on holiday to securely stow all our documents etc. instead of leaving them in a tent or just in the door bin.

£900 seems a lot for a stereo (to me), but £399 might be achievable.

I'll revisit the MDI options on ebay and even try the laptop one that came with Mrs P's Golf.

I have put a lot of the bits on your list in my Fabia.

The sunglasses holder works fine for my Bloc sunglasses - about £28. Get from dealer and give them your number plate so that the can order the right colour. No tools required, you can fit it with your bare hands in less than 2 minutes.

Storage under the boxes under front seats are the same for MkI and MkII Fabia -I fitted them myself £9.13 each from http://www.theskodashop.co.uk/ (Horton Skoda Lincoln) or part numbers 6Y0881577A47H -left and 6Y0881578A47H-right. A bit fiddly to get at the screws but a fairly simple job.

I changed my stereo to a RCD 310 DAB bought from eBay for £150 with code from a VW dealer. The stereo had been removed at delivery so that satnav could be fitted. RCD 310 is very similar to the Swing so everything will work including your MDI. You will need a separate aerial for the DAB or replace your roof aerial completely (which is expensive and time consuming). I bought a JVC J1 which is a thin aerial on a piece of film glued to the inside of the windscreen. You might have to pay attention to aerial choices as not all are capable of receiving L band as used in some European countries (but not in the UK) Check out http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/.

I have a full size spare alloy wheel -it cost me about £200 for the wheel with tyre and the tool kit. However my Greenline has skinny wheels, don't know if the Monte Carlos are too big or not to fit.

Edited by greenstripe

Thanks greenstripe. I might see if I can fit my glasses in my Dad's holder, then buy. Get the dealer to fit at first service.

Horton's were my first Skoda dealer, where we collected our Octy estate many moons ago.

Monte wheels are HUGE (205/40/17s), so probably wouldn't fit. My concern is as per other people's on here - no spare, so I may go for any wheel that fits at the right price. Not too bothered about aethetics, as the original wheel would be off for a refit etc and then back on the car.

I think Dad got the under seat boxes fitted too, so I'll give them a whirl.

I'll look into the DAB issue.

Idea for spare wheel problem- why not try the breakers for Golf / Polo etc space saver. You'd have to check stud spacing and rolling diameter but will be really cheap and probably brand new! Ask them for jack & tool kit too as they probably put them in recycling skip.

Bloke at Skospares

http://www.skospares.com/index.php

is really helpful - just tell him what you need and he'll advise & supply. Carriage reasonable.

P.S. Fitted under seat boxes after last Christmas, keep a lot of junk from door pockets as well as private & secure. Cheap so do it!

( you may find the fiddly screws easier to start if you undo the 4 spline bolts holding each seat in. )

I fitted the sunglass holder, dead easy job. Got it via one of the online skoda dealers, can't remeber which one, but you can search online for it (when you have access) or just phone the parts dept and get the to.

I'm interested to hear about fitting the underseat storage as I do miss that from the mk1 elegance we used to have.

Thanks guys. Apparently Dad has the glases holder, fitted for free and cheap to by, after the dealer tried to charge him for his first service (on a service plan...). He said the bloke was gone 5 minutes.

He has storage boxes, but can't be bothered with the hassle to fit, so I may liberate them from him, or the passenger one at least. that way, I can fit one, tell him how easy it was and then buy him another.

I'll look into wheels - there is a breaker nearby and a lot of SEAT and VW (nearest dealer is SEAT).

cheers for the heads up on the seat drawers! just ordered some from my dealer. My favourite extra bit for my monte, although not at all as major, has been replacing the huge dealer tax disc holder with a clear static one. simple and cheap, looks tidy!

• 1 month later...

Picked up a sunglasses holder from my local dealer, after having them order it in for me. Just come to fit it and it's the wrong colour, and doesn't look like it has the clips for the alarm sensors.

I can not see how they could have done this as i gave them my reg number :S

I have a monte with dark grey roof lining and plastics

Any help welcome

Not sure about the colour. But the clips for the alarm sensor bar do look different on the blanking plate and sunglass holder, but it does fit.

As above, the clips for the alarm sensors are different as are the ones that hold the unit in to the headliner, on the sunglasses holder it's all a bit more solid feeling than the blanking plate.