iPhone 5 or Next iPhone...

Fabia_19

Ah I forgot to add, the less time working on the actual task the more battery one would save. so running 5 seconds of 2 core 1ghz is more power consuming than running 1.25 seconds 4 core @ 2ghz. There are clever reasons for it but I'll rattle my brains a bit later if your bothered, but brain is still on 1st gear as coffee hasnt kicked in. :D

I don't understand the desire to have any of these smartphones Apple, HTC, Samsung or otherwise. The fact that people are prepared to pay hundreds of pounds for such a device every couple of years astounds me.

You've all been sucked into believing that you 'need' this app or that app or that you 'need' constant access to email or bookface or briskoda.net. How on earth did we cope before....... Save yer money or spend it on something more fulfilling instead.

• Like 1

It's all pointing to the 21st September and both me and the wifey will be preordering one as soon as announced :).

Chris

You are already set to spend high on £1000 on 2 phones based on nothing more then hype, marketing and the fact its an Apple. No reviews, no trials, no comparing it to other products...nothing but pure hype.

This amazes me, this is the dictionary definition of what apple is all about...illogical irrational decisions to buy something against virtually all common sense. It's a new phone, with a few 'new' features (compared to their old phone, not the competition) for a huge price tag premium. The competition do it all...arguably, better and at least cheaper!

Its madness!? Or am just to much a fan of windows mobile 7/8 and android?

edit; Sorry, the above sounds tad harsh. I mean no disrespect/offence by it...just a subject I feel for due to the recent Apple vs Samsung court case and the damage it will do to consumers/the competition if Apple get away with it.

Edited by Guest

Ah I forgot to add, the less time working on the actual task the more battery one would save. so running 5 seconds of 2 core 1ghz is more power consuming than running 1.25 seconds 4 core @ 2ghz. There are clever reasons for it but I'll rattle my brains a bit later if your bothered, but brain is still on 1st gear as coffee hasnt kicked in. :D

It's fine, embedded systems is something I understand well, I was just keeping the topic at common level.

Either way though, if you've got a big fast CPU, you're going to need the pipelines, out of order execution, cache and other items to support it.

Long and short if the software guys need to be smarter on how they do things.

I don't understand the desire to have any of these smartphones Apple, HTC, Samsung or otherwise. The fact that people are prepared to pay hundreds of pounds for such a device every couple of years astounds me.

You've all been sucked into believing that you 'need' this app or that app or that you 'need' constant access to email or bookface or briskoda.net. How on earth did we cope before....... Save yer money or spend it on something more fulfilling instead.

I do agree, I only have a smartphone because work got me one as they wanted me to be on mail.

My own phone is an old E51 that's been going for years and still has much better battery life than the smart phones.

As you've said, imagine what else that £500 + 10 per month + contract could buy you. I mean that's a lot of coke and hookers! :giggle:

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Having worked in tech for over 10 years I'm just not interested in minor iterations especially when covered in a sickly Apple gloss. I don't know why people are suckered into it. What's most important is "can it do what I need to", and "does it offer anything that can make my work easier to manage".

I've used plenty of Iphones but never felt the urge to buy one, it offers nothing that interests me that my knackered old Blackberry can't do.

The Nokia Lumia interests me for the camera quality/trickery, and I'll be interested to see how seamless it is with an Exchange server.

Other than that....it's just a phone people, what's the big deal.

• Like 1

If you don't want one that's fine, but for a quid a day you can get a huge amount of use, enjoyment and convenience from a smartphone.

Sure, we coped fine without them, but having an interactive navigation system, camera, communications, games, music and so on in your pocket is just brilliant.

When we go out on a day trip having a map and Internet access is incredibly convenient and makes for a more enjoyable and less stressful time.

If you don't want one that's fine, but for a quid a day you can get a huge amount of use, enjoyment and convenience from a smartphone.

Sure, we coped fine without them, but having an interactive navigation system, camera, communications, games, music and so on in your pocket is just brilliant.

When we go out on a day trip having a map and Internet access is incredibly convenient and makes for a more enjoyable and less stressful time.

I concede that they do give value for money as they combine several gadgets into one.

I'm rather baffled by the heat the Apple issue generates-there are some real haters out there. I understand the apple business model which involves trying to lock customers into interlocking equipment and services. I find their devices pleasant and convenient to use and accept that the price includes buying in to their effective business model.

Unless their new dock is reverse compatible I fear they are making a mistake.

It isn't anything to get het up about though.

You can have a lot more fun with £500 + your extra £20 a month for the insurance and data.

That'd be one of:

- A proper p*ss up in vegas including flight, food,hotel and hookers :p every couple of years.

- A few driving days

- A few experience days

- A nice holiday somewhere warm.

- etc.

It doesn't cost that much to own a smartphone though.

If you go for a new iPhone on a 2 year contract you'll pay about £35 a month - £840 over two years.

Sell the handset at the end and you'll get a couple of hundred quid back, so say £640 for 730 days use - less than 90p a day.

Buy a good basic Android handset for £100 and go on a £12 a month SIM only deal and you'll be paying 50p a day for a smartphone which is cracking value.

I was only thinking of the iDevice.

Others are cheaper, I just don't understand why people spend that much on iDevices, plus all the extra bits and the extra insurance and the this and the that and the apps and the etc etc etc.

I'd rather have a cheap phone or non-iDevice and a nice holiday every couple of years regardless.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

The difference in cost between an iPhone and a cheapo Android is 40p a day which won't get you much of a holiday at first. If you want a posh Android like a Galaxy then there's almost no difference in running cost over two years as the Apple has much better residual value.

Insurance and software are going to cost you money if you want them no matter what device you have.

The difference in cost between an iPhone and a cheapo Android is 40p a day which won't get you much of a holiday at first. If you want a posh Android like a Galaxy then there's almost no difference in running cost over two years as the Apple has much better residual value.

Insurance and software are going to cost you money if you want them no matter what device you have.

eh? I just did a quick comparison on vodafone the network I am with. My plan is £24 a month, the nearest comparable iphone one is £6 a month dearer. Over 2 years that's £144 (and the iphone plan has less allowances). Now granted you'll not jet off to the Carribean on the saving but £144 is not small change to most people.

eh? I just did a quick comparison on vodafone the network I am with. My plan is £24 a month, the nearest comparable iphone one is £6 a month dearer. Over 2 years that's £144 (and the iphone plan has less allowances). Now granted you'll not jet off to the Carribean on the saving but £144 is not small change to most people.

£144 is not small change and if you change your phone every couple of years, then it's costing you a good amount.

At £30 per month contract the iDevice isn't going to be free either.

I'm not saying people can't buy them, but I really don't get the must have the latest version of iNess every 6-12 months or I'm a failure in life mentality.

And when you compare the resale value of a two year old iPhone (200 quid or more) to a two year old Samsung (100 quid if you are lucky) you'll get back most if not all of your 144 pound difference.

isheep.jpg

LOL, nice.

Nah I'll stick with my Samsung thanks. I don't sell my old phones anyway, I tend to move them on to family members. My wife is running my old HTC desire but it is rooted and running jelly bean so technically is more up to date them my Samsung :think: And she is now Sim only at £6.90 a month. Bargain

Edited by domhnall

The whole apple issue is simply clever marketing. Marketing which tells you facetime is all new,never done before, and ONLY on iphone*. They could have people queuing round the block at midnight for a turd in a box with their marketing techniques.

The same will happen tomorrow. IF the screen is 4" widescreen as rumoured, cue how wonderful the new screen is, and graphs and stats behind Mr Cook that any other 4" screen is rubbish, and how most new phones are smaller making the iphone 5 bigger etc etc.

For me that's the killer, and why I wont buy one. I dont buy stuff because it's sold as the biggest or best. I buy it because it fits my budget and needs. I can get something that does the same, and more, for less money so dont need to pay a premium to have what everyone else has.

*video calling on any other device is an illusion. Sequences shortened to make it look faster than your current phone.

• Like 4

It really confuses me how some people get so worked up over what other people want to spend their own money on.

Regardless of whether you like it, the iPhone sells in it's millions. Because people want it. Deal with it - you don't have to buy one yourself but getting so upset at everyone else who does just makes you seem spiteful.

Edited by Mort
  • Like 1

It really confuses me how some people get so worked up over what other people want to spend their own money on.

Regardless of whether you like it, the iPhone sells in it's millions. Because people want it. Deal with it - you don't have to buy one yourself but getting so upset at everyone else who does just makes you seem spiteful.

It's just like the Petrol vs Diesel rants you get on here. There is no right answer for everyone. If you like Apple products or petrol engines then buy them. If you don't, then there's a Windows machine or diesel just waiting for your cash.

There are plenty of facts that you can't really argue with (Apple kit and diesel cars hold their value better for example) but what you do with that information is up to you.

• Like 1

The whole apple issue is simply clever marketing. Marketing which tells you facetime is all new,never done before, and ONLY on iphone*. They could

*video calling on any other device is an illusion. Sequences shortened to make it look faster than your current phone.

100% agree on this with you. I use "face time" on my Nokia E-7 all the time via Skype and Fring, talking to my boy who is in Vancouver. Not to mention that my Nokia is Finland Made, not Chinese :) I own iMac and iPod (both 5 years old) but I would not fork out £500+ for a iPhone. For this money I could go for two weeks in Spain :rofl:

Thought I'd throw this in as it's an interesting read: http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-19557497

It is, and it's fairly hard to disagree with many of those points.

That said, Apple has never specifically targeted market share in either PC or phones. At the end of the day they are a business who are there to make a profit and they would prefer to do that by selling fewer phones at a much higher margin than the competition.

Whatever peoples feelings there is a tinge of sadness with todays launch being the first new iPhone after the death of Steve Jobs, whatever people thought of him everyone had to agree he was a modern day P T Barnum, who revolutionised CEO's giving presentations taking it down from a guy in a suit behind a podium reading a script to the more informal type of presentation we see today.

• Like 3

Thought I'd throw this in as it's an interesting read: http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-19557497

Well, as I've mentioned above I do own Apple products, but I have to agree with this article... I think that everything is summarized in the following:

"To use a car analogy, six years ago the iPhone was like a sexy new flagship model from BMW or Porsche. Today it's a Toyota Camry. Safe, reliable, boring. The car your mom drives. The car that's so popular that its maker doesn't dare mess with the formula."

I read with huge interest Steve Jobs autobiography and the guy have to be admired for his vision and personal strong belief that he is right. Yes he was a BIG PITA most of the time but he was genius in his own way. He ruled the company with his heart, now the accountant stepped in so...the old Apple is gone.