Vrs vs Mk4/5 Golf

Djaniero

Hi guys,

I went to look at vrs last weekend. Really nice car, but I was slightly concerned about rear leg room (I have to transport family around from time to time on long journeys....so have to sweat 4 people comfortably)

So I'm swaying more towards a mk4 or mk5 gt tdi instead. Has anyone owned the both the vrs and either of the golfs??

Is there much difference between them in regards to rear leg room??

Thanks

The Octavia has more rear legroom than a Mk4 Golf and it will be the same as the Mk5.

I was in exactly the same position as you just a month ago. Heart wanted another Fabia vRS, head decided upon a Mk4 Golf GT TDI (The 130 version)...

Despite the Golf being a bigger car, it weighs approx 70kg less than the Fabia

Same engine code as the Fabia, and same power/torque etc.

The Golf is excellent at muching up motorway miles, but pretty dull with some 'spirited' driving. Bigger boot, and more rear legroom though

The Fabia was also excellent on the motorway, but was much more lively and entertaining crossing A roads and B roads. Didn't really like to seat 4 adults for too long though. It is a bit cramped in the back

The missus also had a Mk5 GT TDI (140bhp) and was much nicer to drive than the Mk4, but again, doesnt really inspire confidence on country roads, but very refined and easy to drive...

Would still like another Fabia when the bank balance allows it though ;)

On the rear legroom thing, I have a friend who is, lets says 'bulky'.

He has a much easier time sitting in the back of my fabia that my friends Mk4 Golf.

Also, I'm stunned that the fabia weighs more than a mk4 golf!

I couldn't put the young lad's car seat behind the drivers seat whenever I was driving. Always had to go on the opposite side of the car, behind the missus.

Don't have that issue with the Golf...

Mk4's I think are rubbish

Fixed for you!

I had a GTTDI 150 - worst car I've ever owned! Horrid suspension, interior quality (on this example anyway) and engine. Unrewarding to drive, rubbish noise and looks (you can see I was a fan!). Good gearbox though!

No-one seemed to find it massively spacious in the back either.

I preferred my Fabia (although it was a petrol), to the Golf in every way.

Edited by TriggerFish

Golf mk4 is only a tiny bit bigger in the rear for passenger space, it's not that much of a gain over the fabia.

The Golf has a much bigger boot than the fabia though.

Driving wise, both the fabia and golf are wallowy blamonges (sp?!).

The mk5 Golf is a much bigger car for rear passengers. Dynamically also a better car with it being a newer generation!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input peeps.

Not too keen on the Leon FR interior in comparison to the gt tdi and fabia.....just imo.

I had my mind made up to go for the mk5.....but funilly enough I keep seeing some seriously cool looking vrs's about.....They look better than the golfs imo:S.......decisions..........decisions:(

I'm 6'0ft, and usually sit quite close to the wheel (I used to do track days etc, so like to sit close so I have a better feel of the car).

Do any of you carry 3 passengers on a regular basis?

In all honesty I will mostly just be carrying 1 extra passenger, then every so often 3 passengers.

My fabia has new door seal kit in it! and hardly any road noise at all! but noticed a big redution in noise when i changed tyres too so tbh that might have something to do with it too! had a 1.8T golf mk4 aswell as VRS fab and fabia is much nicer to drive and rear leg room dif is minimal both are poor imo but they are not big luxury cars! boot is the only thing that majorly differs as the golf does have a much bigger boot! but the golf was awful and i mean awful to drive! as much as this is a swear word on a skoda forum...... my focus st170 was the nicest car ive driven in that category of cars haha but if i were u id go fabia cheap to insure cheap to run quick enough and feels solid plus bits are mega cheap for it too! apologies for the essay if you wanna know anything more pm me cheers

Deffo Leon FR for looks and if you can afford it/find one, the newer interior. The Furby is a Polo in size. Last feedback I had about being in the back is poor legroom, but it is also noisy (wind/road).

Furby is polo chassis, but with a bigger body.

I often carry 2 in the back, and no big complaints. Completely useless for 3 in the back for more than a few miles though!

@BlueRobin....makes sense but don't think I could ever bring my self to buy a Saab lol (bit boring)

@LeftonVRS - I was swaying more towards the mk5, but what made the mk4 so awful to drive? Pm me if need be....I like eassays when it comes to cars:)

I got a quote earlier today on the fabia and its the exact same as the mk5 gt tdi. I questioned why this was and my insurance company said because they have similar bhp.

@Benjiman - That gives me some hope then...i.e 2 comfortably in the back. How tall are you? When I said 3 passengers I meant 1 in the front 2 in the rear......wouldnt even try and get 3 in the back like you said....pointless.

Thanks again guys