Toothed Belt Change

Please show us a photo of your service book stating 4 year timing belt interval, we really want to see it!

To help you with your effort, here is a photo of mine, no mention of 4 year belt there...

post_DSCF2650.jpg

And yes, I do seem to know better in this case, here is my track record. Skoda UK broke my first Skoda (Octavia) after 80k miles by not refilling the engine head correctly following timing belt/water pump job. This led to coolant expulsion and leaking head gasket. Took a head gasket job to sort out, with Skoda UK wiggling out of cost cover. I learned my lesson. My Superb has not seen Skoda UK technicians in its lifetime of 6.5 years so far, I service it myself including the 2.5TDI timing belt job at 73k. 106k miles fault free and counting, consumable items only.

Unless you can show us instructions manual that states 4 year belt replacement by Skoda Auto (not the stealer!), the belt only takes inspection at specified mileages and replacement likewise. No time limit on the belt.

Edited by dieselV6

Your "track record" has at last highlighted your misguided views on the 4 year replacement advice and lack of faith in Skoda UK - it will not be possible for you to have an unbiased view.

I was beginning to think that I shouldnt reply to your comments as its the only way to deal with a troll but am now willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Please do stay on topic, how's that 4 year stating service instruction booklet photo coming up?

Hard to have an unbiased view in the face of an incompetent and greedy company demanding customers pay £300+ every 4 years, while no other Skoda dealership in Europe and possibly the world requires users to service belt every 4 years. Part of ripoff Britain culture, that is not to say it should be allowed.

Edited by dieselV6

It would be pointless showing a service book that I've already said was amended by the dealer following Skoda UK recommendations, but I appreciate that you agree to having a biased opinion which means your views are taken with a pinch of salt.

Biased views.. hmmm... I do not work for Skoda UK, just have owned 3 Skodas so far, each from new.

Perhaps you could come clear if you do work for Skoda UK or a workshop that does VW group timing belt jobs, among others? I cannot see the point of your advertising the bogus need for 4 year belt service unless you have vested interest in UK Skoda car owners spending money for unneccessary jobs.

Edited by dieselV6

Guys, don't take the bait, he obviously knows Skoda's better than Skoda themselves and clearly has a grudge against Skoda UK.

We live in the UK.

Skoda UK is our contact for Skoda products sold in the UK.

Skoda UK fund the warranty supplied with Skoda's sold in the UK.

Skoda UK advise the four year cambelt change.

Advising people to ignore the recommendations from Skoda UK is at best foolish, at worst stupid.

As to when you should change your cambelt, this thread shows both sides of the argument. Make your own choice.

Luckily the 1.6 TDi doesn't have a cambelt so this is all irrelevant anyway.

The Honest John website lists all the cars with chain driven cams, and for Skoda is as follows.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/chain-cam/

SKODA: 1.2 litre 3-cylinder petrol engine, 1.2 Litre 4-cylinder TSI, 1.6 litre FSI, 1.4 litre TSI, 1.8 litre TSI 160, 2.0 litre 1,984cc 2-1PS EA888 TFSI.

Means nothing to me as I only know the old 1.9 diesel engine ,which I had in my old Golf as well as my 2007 Roomster Scout and I’m not going to change the belt to 60k. But I would say Steve if your car has only done 12k miles you have nothing to worry about for a few years to come. Remember most Dealerships are only interested in getting as much money out of you as they can. Gone are the days when the Reception Service Manager would come out with you for a test drive, to check performance as he did after a service of my VW Beetle , and stop half way to adjust the ignition timing.

That is until I learnt to do it all myself.

FWIW I have a 2008 Roomster Sprout 1.9 tdi with 30k miles on the clock. I'm not proposing to change the cambelt for quite a while yet, but I will ask the garage to inspect it next time it has a service (local independent garage who I know well, not the Skoda main dealer). Each to his own, you pays your money and you takes your choice. Even if my belt snaps and I have a catastrophic engine failure, it won't cost me as much as I have saved over the years by making my own decisions on service and replacement intervals.

Guys, don't take the bait, he obviously knows Skoda's better than Skoda themselves and clearly has a grudge against Skoda UK.

We live in the UK.

Skoda UK is our contact for Skoda products sold in the UK.

Skoda UK fund the warranty supplied with Skoda's sold in the UK.

Skoda UK advise the four year cambelt change.

Advising people to ignore the recommendations from Skoda UK is at best foolish, at worst stupid.

As to when you should change your cambelt, this thread shows both sides of the argument. Make your own choice.

Luckily the 1.6 TDi doesn't have a cambelt so this is all irrelevant anyway.

"He" obviously experienced no less than 5 different Skoda dealerships from 3 different networks in the UK to date, with consistent experience of utter incompetence. Are "guys" you are referring to Skoda UK technicians? Because no sane person wants to spend £300 on unneccesary service. And as Steve's earlier post points out, Skoda UK advises belt change even when the car has no belt at all! Just goes to show how either poor or ill-intended advice that 4 year belt con is.

Skoda UK is just a salesman, and a poor one at that. Why do we have to stand this ripoff Britain culture when everywhere else in Europe the very same cars are simply sold and belts serviced at mileage, period.

I live in the UK too, it would seem you have overlooked that, it is only through my international travel that I have an overview of other Skoda dealership policies.

And I have outlined a simple way to get your rights through Small Claims Court if the worst should come to the worst and your belt snapped. Filling in an online form and paying £35 for a case that is guaranteed to be won if your belt snapped while within mileage limit is hardly an effort.

Incidentally, the reason why Skoda UK wants this 4 year belt interval is precisely to wiggle out of snapped belt claims altogether. The incidence of snapped belts on factory installed belt drive is very low, most happen after bodged timing belt jobs. Another good argument for not giving a poor quality mechanic an opportunity to mess up your belt drive.

Stop trying to discredit my posts, quite simply, either you are in employment of Skoda UK or a Skoda servicing garage, or you refuse to listen to a perfectly reasonable argument that nowhere in Europe and possibly the world does Skoda ask its customers to service belt every 4 years. It is a misseling con of VAG UK exclusively, and it is high time to kill it off.

Remember most Dealerships are only interested in getting as much money out of you as they can. Gone are the days when the Reception Service Manager would come out with you for a test drive, to check performance as he did after a service of my VW Beetle , and stop half way to adjust the ignition timing.

Precisely, thanks.

Edited by dieselV6

I have bought with my own money 3 new Skodas so far, so I would not say I have a grudge against Skoda, quite opposite in fact, I am a long term Skoda enthusiast. I do detest incompetence of UK servicing network that I experienced so far, though, and do not intend to lose any more money on bogus 4 year timing belt jobs that no other Skoda network in the world advises nor requires.

Would you care to enlighten us if you are in employment of Skoda UK, or a garage? That would set the record straight...

Edit: I'd like to draw your attention to your own post on Skoda UK (in)competence,

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/249181-skoda-uk-marketing-dept-strike-again/#entry2922747

Edited by dieselV6

Just to illustrate my point about dealerships being only interested in making money only this week, my younger daughters Ford Fiesta (new to her after VW Polo ownership of 10 years), developed a fault with the reed switch in the boot (similar to the Rooomster boot switches) whereupon the boot would fly open whilst the car was in motion, apparently a well known fiesta fault. As the car was still within the 3 year warranty she took it to the nearest main Ford Dealership. They rang her later that day to say that one wiper blade rubber was broken, and one sidelight was faulty, and the car needed a new battery. She bulked at the quoted cost of a new battery at £120 but gave the go ahead on the wiper and bulb.

She has never dealt with main dealers before, and someone in her office pointed out main dealer labour rates would cost her. She rang me worried, and I said what’s done is done now. I added that for a car to require a new battery when not even 2 ½ years old would be very unusual as they should last at least 6 years in a petrol engine car. Any way she was presented for a bill for £42 for the wiper and bulb. (My local VW independent would have fitted them free and just charged for parts if combined with other work like an MOT).

I knew the battery business had to be a con, unless there was a serious other fault elsewhere so dug out my battery testing device.

But unbeknown to me my Daughter called in an Auto Technician (the son of a friend in her office); he arrived with a new battery at a discount, tested the old battery with a professional tester and found it to be 90% efficient, so took the new battery back. No charge incurred.

It’s so easy to be beguiled by a smiling service manager, in smart posh surroundings, and I know this wasn’t a Skoda dealership, but do these main dealerships really care about you the customer parting with his or hers hard earned cash.

Had it been a male customer would the outcome have been different.

Because of illness my daughter wanted to give me a rest from servicing her car, and took out a 5 year Service and MOT contract plan. I think she’s going to tell them to stuff it if she can!

Oh and the wiper and light I bet that was a con to, but at least hopfully they fixed the boot lock.

Sorry if ive gone a bit of thread here .

Makes you wonder how many people in the UK have been charged for a cambelt change , when their car doesn’t have a cambelt?

I did hear of a mobile mechanic who did work for my eldest daughter and came highly recommended , and was taken to court over a cambelt he was supposed to have replaced. I wonder if that was a case of a car that didn’t actually have a cambelt and the owner was told later by a third party. Or perhaps he just didn’t change it, after all how many people are going to check. Even at my trusted independent VW garage after a cambelt change I always unclip the cover to make sure the belt is new and shiny.

Yes your right I don’t fully trust anyone in the motor trade!

Would you care to enlighten us if you are in employment of Skoda UK, or a garage? That would set the record straight...

What makes you think that I am in someway connected to Skoda?

I am repeating Skoda's recommendation to change the cambelt at four years.

A thread was started with the OP enquiring when they should change their cambelt.

I said four years.

You say different.

I trust Skoda more than I trust you.

I own two Octavia's. Both out of warranty. Both with full Skoda service history. Between the two cars I have had almost £4,000 of work carried out for free as gestures of goodwill. They didn't have to. They were under no obligation to contribute. But they did, because they recognise customer loyalty. As a result I change my cambelts at four years.

Needless to say, whatever I think, or you think, the interval for changing the cambelt on your Skoda is four years.

It's quite simple really.

Feel free to ignore it and share with others why you choose ignore it but don't lambast me for offering up the official advice issued by Skoda.

• Like 1

Exactly, you are blindly repeating VW Milton Keynes sales pitch. I actually bothered to seek information outside the salesmen headquarters...

Edited by dieselV6

Taken from the 2012 Elsa Win service manual ror Skoda;

Every 150 000 km– Toothed belt for camshaft: replace (3 cyl. PD diesel engines) as of MY 2007

? Chapter

– Toothed belt for camshaft: replace (4 cyl. PD diesel engines with DPF fitted in the series)

? Chapter

No mention of having to replace at 4 year intervals, this is from the cfficial VW/Skoda service manual

• Like 1

Exactly, both car manual and factory service manual state same thing, the only thing tha has changed ca 2007 was that belts and tensioners got upgraded and as a result belt replacemenet mileage increased.

Taken from the 2012 Elsa Win service manual ror Skoda;

Every 150 000 km– Toothed belt for camshaft: replace (3 cyl. PD diesel engines) as of MY 2007

? Chapter

– Toothed belt for camshaft: replace (4 cyl. PD diesel engines with DPF fitted in the series)

? Chapter

No mention of having to replace at 4 year intervals, this is from the cfficial VW/Skoda service manual

Seeing as neither Skoda or Skoda UK have used ELSA Win for many years I'd treat that with a pinch of salt.

So what service manual do Skoda use nowadays? Seeing as Elsa Win is up to date with latest models and all.

By the way, timing belt at mileage limit (and not 4 year bogus time limit) is also usurprisingly listed in Bentley manuals for VW and Audi....

The issue as to if Skoda use Elsa Win or not does not detract from the issue that an official VAG publication which is up to date,recomends timing belt replacement based solely on distance covered with no mention of time.

Can anyone show me documented evidence from VAG that the timing belt be changed at 4 years, because I have checked and can find nothing to support this claim.

Edited by freelanderman

Seeing as neither Skoda or Skoda UK have used ELSA Win for many years I'd treat that with a pinch of salt.

+1

Replacement schedules come from the Service Advisor Cambelt Replacement Guide. This is the only official source for this information and takes into account any differences in different regions/markets. This is produced by Skoda - not Skoda UK.