Toothed Belt Change

Hi, My 08 Roomster 3 petrol 1.6 has only done 12k. Bought it early in the year from a local Skoda dealer with only 9k miles and because of it's age I deliberately asked about the timing belt change. Was advised that it wasn't needed because of the low mileage.

Got some roof rails fitted last week and noticed on the bill a reminder that the belt will need changing at the next service because of it's age. Bit cross really, Doesn't need to be changed if they have to pay for it but it does if they dont.

Decided to check to service intervals in my schedule and it says this.

At 90,000 km, then every 30,000 km

-------------------------------------------------

- Toothed belt (4-cylinder petrol engines, except 1.6 litre/77kw engine)

It says nothing more about toothed belts except at higher mileages and certainly nothing in the yearly sections.

Do I challenge them? It's an expensive item and I certainly don't want to have to do unless it is really needed.

Unfortunately it doesn't qualify the bit about the 1.6 litre engine (which mine is). It either means don't bother at all (which I doubt) or that that info is missing from the service intervals.

I think now it is 60.000Km or 4 years.

My first Skoda was an '02 Octavia 1.6 Mpi. Back then the manual stated cam belt change at 90.000Km or 6 (I really cannot recall) years. After a few years Skoda changed that and revised it to 60.000Km or 4 years. I performed (at dealer's workshop) cam belt change at 7 years and 47.000Km. Cam belt was fine, no sign of wear BUT water pump was almost destroyed. There were only 3 flaps (I don't know the exact word) on the round / spinning wheel.

A few months ago a friend of mine had his '08 Roomster 1.4 petrol cam belt changed and guess what. His water pump was fine but cam belt had signs of wear. So it's up to you what to do.

On the other hand they should be ashamed for not replacing cam belt on delivery. It really costs nothing to them.

Any idea why the first belt would last 90,000 km and subsequent ones only seem to last 30,000km?

It is the same as brake fluid change. First change after 3 years and then after 2 years.

Edited by stratosg

I've only just bought my Roomster (1.9tdi) and it says "toothed belt changed at 59000miles" in the service book. I take it the toothed belt is the timing belt and not the alternator belt? The car is on 66k miles now and worried that it actually needs doing.

Just got back from having cambelt etc changed. Done at Unit 18, very helpfull and went the extra mile. Everything they took off was in perfect condition, as good as the new stuff they put back on. That was after, just over 4years old. I fell better for having it done, not so the guy whose Skoda was in there after the cambelt had snapped, they think it could cost around £1300 to fix it all. So we decide what to do and when to do it, with our informed choices, nobody right, nobody wrong. B)

• Like 1

My service book says cam belt change at 4 years old so just been changed at a cost of £299.

And which service book is that? Skoda UK conman service book?

So far, all service books at 3 Skodas I owned stated timing belt mileage, never time. Please stop misleading this forum users that they need to run into service every 4 years if they have a low mileage car. Nowehere else in Europe does Skoda ask car users to service belt every 4 years

New cambelt will last as much as old cambelt, the instructions actually state INSPECT the belt at 90000 then every 30000, not replace it, frankly this whole thread reads like April's Fool joke.

• Like 1

I've just checked my service book as well. As dieselv6 states it doesn't say anything about every 4 years. There are different timings listed for various engines (V6 diesel says change at 60k) but it says INSPECTION at 90k, then every 30k. Not that an older belt lasted 3x longer than the new ones, but that you don't need to check it as often for the first 90k.

Cambelt change is marked as every 120k. Though Skoda dealers (and VAG independents) strongly suggest changing it every 4 years - perhaps overhyping a small number of failures to get more business traffic - I will get mine changed around the 4 year mark just for peace of mind as it's my only car and gets daily high mileage use - but to each his own

Skoda "recommended" to me that I have this done at my Roomster's 4 year service, but I declined due to the additional £££s it was already going to add to an expensive service and my car was very low mileage. That was over a year ago and the car has been fine. But it's really a judgment as to what you want to spend money on to avoid potential risks.

Skoda "recommended" to me that I have this done at my Roomster's 4 year service, but I declined due to the additional £££s it was already going to add to an expensive service and my car was very low mileage. That was over a year ago and the car has been fine. But it's really a judgment as to what you want to spend money on to avoid potential risks.

That's exactly how I feel.

And which service book is that? Skoda UK conman service book?

So far, all service books at 3 Skodas I owned stated timing belt mileage, never time. Please stop misleading this forum users that they need to run into service every 4 years if they have a low mileage car. Nowehere else in Europe does Skoda ask car users to service belt every 4 years

New cambelt will last as much as old cambelt, the instructions actually state INSPECT the belt at 90000 then every 30000, not replace it, frankly this whole thread reads like April's Fool joke.

Irrespective of whether the 4 year interval is a con or not it is what Skoda UK stipulate.

Feel free to ignore it but don't expect a gesture of goodwill towards an out of warranty claim in the event of a failure.

The only 'joke' in this thread if your attempt to discredit the good advice being offered by others.

The only way to be 100% sure of the exact interval for a cambelt change is to ring Skoda UK Customer Services on 08457 745745 (option 4).

• Like 1

I've just had the timing belt/water pump done on my Felly, relative to the 4 year interval not mileage as I'd just hit the 50k mark. I'm aware of belts failing at any point within the typical/expected life cycle, but 4 years is an attempt to arrest failures which by in large statistically occur beyond that period. Premature failures can sometimes be more attributed to cars that are stood up for periods of time as opposed to being run on a daily basis. The guy who's worked on all of my Skoda's has just retired after around 50 years of exclusive experience of working on/repairing them and he endorses the 4 year/60k rule (accepting recommendations can vary model to model). I'll go with him but others are free to self determine ;)

• Like 1

Irrespective of whether the 4 year interval is a con or not it is what Skoda UK stipulate.

Feel free to ignore it but don't expect a gesture of goodwill towards an out of warranty claim in the event of a failure.

The only 'joke' in this thread if your attempt to discredit the good advice being offered by others.

The only way to be 100% sure of the exact interval for a cambelt change is to ring Skoda UK Customer Services on 08457 745745 (option 4).

4 year Timing Belt change is Skoda UK con. They cannot force you to change the belt every 4 years, because Skoda Service Manual says change the belt at mileage, not time.

The thread was reading like April Fool's joke because people were seriously confirming that the 2nd and subsequent belts would last 3x shorter than the factory belt. This was, and still is, ridiculous. And asking people to spend £300+ every 4 years just because Skoda Milton Keynes said so while Skoda Auto never did is not good advice, it is actually bad advice. If timing belt snaps before first mileage inspection, in case Skoda UK tries to wiggle out of the claim. you have a guaranteed won Small Claims Court case that you can file online and attach a scan of service schedule page and mileage recorded at last MOT/photo of odometer. If it snaps between inspections, you have a claim against the workshop that inspected (or it is your fault if you DIY like I do).

The first good advice in this thread was actually my advice: inspect at intervals specified, then replace at mileage.

The only way to be 100% sure of the exact interval for a cambelt change is to look it up in the Service Schedule book that came with your Skoda, and not to phone Skoda UK salesmen.

And finally, regarding advice, why won't you do a search for my posts on this and the Superb's forums. I have likely helped more people with my posts than the number of people who have read this thread so far.

I also noticed that since Roomster forum is not frequented too often by technically savvy users, the amount of posts "recommending" unneccessary maintenance and expense is considerably larger than e.g. in Superb's Mk1 or Octy Mk1 forums. Perhaps moderators should look at that, and put a sticky that the 4 year belt replacement interval is Skoda UK "invention" only that has no legal nor practical grounds.

Edited by dieselV6

The only way to be 100% sure of the exact interval for a cambelt change is to look it up in the Service Schedule book that came with your Skoda, and not to phone Skoda UK salesmen.

The service book supplied with a vehicle is only accurate on the day it is printed. This is why Skoda include a note within it that says you should contact your local retailer for the latest service requirements. It is their disclaimer.

The blanket 4 year interval has been common place for sometime now.

As I've said before, whether you choose to ignore it is your choice, however if you are unlucky enough to suffer a failure then Skoda UK won't be under any obligation to contribute to toward the cost of repair, Small Claims Court or not.

Incorrect, Skoda UK will be under legal obligation to contribute heavily toward the cost of repair if your belt has snapped before first inspection is due and/or if Skoda has inspected the belt.

The service book is accurate the day it is supplied with the car, if there are changes you get them as amendment pages, I have 2 amendment pages that came with my Roomster manual, they mostly cover fuse location changes.

Unless there is a recall, which hardly ever happens on belts, the service book will stay accurate.

This "standard Skoda UK blanket 4 year timing belt interval" is a standard VW UK con. In no other country in Europe Skoda asks to service belt at a time interval, only at mileage. Please do your research, I did, and so did others on this forum.

UK dealerships have no legal nor technical basis for the 4 year belt replacement. It is much like "mortgage payment protection" racket that used to run in finance industry. It operates on principle that gullible customers will accept costly servicing requirements at a time where the car they own is still relatively new.

Once again, please stop scaremongering and repeating VW Milton Keynes sales pitch. The timing belt needs to be inspected and/or replaced at mileage intervals prescribed in the Service Schedule. It most certainly does NOT need to be replaced every 4 years.

Edited by dieselV6

Hmm, who to believe, you or Skoda UK.

I know where my vote is going.

Don't accuse me of scaremongering, that'll be you telling people to ignore the advice from the manufacturer, you know, the people who designed the car. Your advice is worth no more than anyone elses.

There is about as much chance of Skoda UK contributing towards the cost of a cambelt failure on a car over four years old with the original belt as there is of you stopping telling people "to do their research".

Oh, and the adendums to the manual are added when the car is new, so I'll say it again, the owners manual is out of date the day the car leaves the factory.

The only accurate way of determining the most up to date cambelt interval is to contact the manufacturer. Guess what they'll say. Yep, change it at four years.

Edited by silver1011

Don't accuse me of scaremongering, that'll be you telling people to ignore the advice from the manufacturer, you know, the people who designed the car. Your advice is worth no more than anyone elses.

There is about as much chance of Skoda UK contributing towards the cost of a cambelt failure on a car over four years old with the original belt as there is of you stopping telling people "to do their research".

Skoda UK is not the manufacturer, it is just a bunch of sales guys that have a non exclusive agreement with Skoda Auto to sell Skoda Auto cars and, from repeated direct personal past experience, are supported by not particularly good technicians.

The people who designed the car are Skoda Auto, not Skoda UK. Skoda Auto is the car manufacturer and it does not specify 4 year belt interval anywhere in the world. Once again, nowhere outside UK that 4 year timing belt con is allowed/mandated.

When you are phoning Skoda UK, you are not contacting the manufacturer, for this you have to phone Czech Republic.

The fact that Skoda UK does try to wiggle out of the snapped belt claims is only due to ignorance and complacency of customers. Filing a court case against the dealership / Skoda UK costs £35 and takes about half an hour on HM Courts website, costs are far less than the cost of new engine block. Skoda UK has no legal basis to mandate 4 year belt replacement. Know your rights, especially that they are easily enforceable.

Re 1.6 belt not actually being there, well, that just confirms that the early posts in the thread make no sense.

Edited by dieselV6

Just to add to this, if anyone is getting their cambelt changed, it is worth changing the water pump at the same time.

Also, ask the garage to show you the old belt. You will then (a) be able to see how worn it looks for yourself and (B) ensure that the garage have actually changed it.

Hmm, who to believe, you or Skoda UK.

I know where my vote is going.

Oh, and the adendums to the manual are added when the car is new, so I'll say it again, the owners manual is out of date the day the car leaves the factory.

The only accurate way of determining the most up to date cambelt interval is to contact the manufacturer. Guess what they'll say. Yep, change it at four years.

+1

Skoda UK is NOT the manufacturer, it is a sales outlet. Skoda Auto based in Czech Republic is the manufacturer and does not mandate nor suggest 4 year belt replacement interval. Stop scaremongering.

+1

This coming from a guy who first lied on this thread in post #4 about 4 year intervals being in service book, then edited his own earlier post to remove the lie, thankfully it was already re-quoted in my post #8:

http://www.briskoda....e/#entry2940782

The amount of vested interests on the Roomster forum is staggering.

Edited by dieselV6

Skoda UK is NOT the manufacturer, it is a sales outlet. Skoda Auto based in Czech Republic is the manufacturer and does not mandate nor suggest 4 year belt replacement interval. Stop scaremongering.

This coming from a guy who first lied on this thread in post #4 about 4 year intervals being in service book, then edited his own earlier post to remove the lie, thankfully it was already re-quoted in my post #8:

http://www.briskoda....e/#entry2940782

The amount of vested interests on the Roomster forum is staggering.

I did not lie about the 4 year interval being in my service book but considering it had been added by my dealer I accepted that it probably wasnt in everyones service book so removed it from my post but having seen VAG recommendations I decided that the information was correct.

If you wish to save spending money by not following the recommendations then by all means go ahead - just dont try and say that you know better than the people who are responsible for giving guidance to UK owners of Skoda vehicles.