Possible design fault?

MikeW

This is the 'lock carrier D' (radiator support to us!) from the ETKA parts list for my 13 June 2012 build Elegance 75PS Greentech. Note no separate cover is shown. As I stated on 1st October (page 3), the parts list wording states this carrier (180 805 588 D) is used up to 24/10/2012. From 25/10/11 (this must be a misprint and mean 2012) it is replaced by 180 805 588 F.

The subject is open for discussion!

post-95038-0-60022800-1350345037_thumb.jpg

Edited by CortinaGT

I'd give them a week.

A week would be poor customer service but yeah let's give it a week. If they haven't replied in a week I won't be happy !

Another theory, the up!!! Doesn't need a cover ( presumably ) because there isn't a grill as such. So as they are all built at the same factory have they put the cover on some ups!!! Instead of some Citigos by mistake ?

• Like 1

A week would be poor customer service but yeah let's give it a week. If they haven't replied in a week I won't be happy !

Another theory, the up!!! Doesn't need a cover ( presumably ) because there isn't a grill as such. So as they are all built at the same factory have they put the cover on some ups!!! Instead of some Citigos by mistake ?

This is the theory that gets my vote. I don't think it's anything too technical, just a **** up somewhere on the production line. Think I will open a bottle of plonk to celebrate when we put this one to bed.

If that's the case do you think the recall fix will be some cling film over the hole or something?

Hi, I'm due to pick up my Seat Mii at the weekend. I'll have a squint through the grille and report back on how the view of the alternator looks to see if there are issues across the sister cars

• Like 1

Hi, I'm due to pick up my Seat Mii at the weekend. I'll have a squint through the grille and report back on how the view of the alternator looks to see if there are issues across the sister cars

That will be interesting to see what the Mii arrangement is - maybe it will be a third option lol

I'm very interested to see what the arrangement is in the Mii

Wow.... what a post !!!! Skoda really do need to answer this question. As said the simple answer is that the car needs the cover or it does not, i doubt there is any other alternative, Its just shocking that the dealers seem so clueless. I guess with any new model that there are issues that the first few thousand owners always have to deal with until they are sorted out and the next years owners don't have to deal with..... look at the Iphone 5 for that !!

Just come back from the dealers after a visit for something unrelated.

It was a different guy to the one i spoke to before and I asked him about the alternator issue cover, he was unaware of it and looked very puzzled. But he's agreed to talk to somebody senior at Skoda UK about it, so hopefully we'll find out soon.

• Like 2

I have received this email from Skoda -

on 13th of October we received your email, in which you ask us about front plastic cover occurence on Škoda Citygo models.

We examined your queries and passed it for direct handling to our representation in UK. The importer organization representing

the brand Škoda is entitled to respond to all queries, comments, claims / complaints of customers in accordance with current

legislation of your country and warranty and claim conditions as well as with the approved repair technology.

Kind regards,

Richard Cejnar | PST - Pé?e o zákazníka, Customer Care, Kundenbetreuung

I'm not sure what that means exactly !? but I think that means Skoda UK will be contacting me !?. Well its progress I suppose !

Ive only read the last page of this, but have been looking under the bonnet of my g/f's new citygo, and the hole is needed to feed cold air to the air intake (I assume someone has already noted this in a previous page?)

plus, I really doubt that any water that gets in there would do the alternator any harm....

Ive only read the last page of this, but have been looking under the bonnet of my g/f's new citygo, and the hole is needed to feed cold air to the air intake (I assume someone has already noted this in a previous page?)

plus, I really doubt that any water that gets in there would do the alternator any harm....

If this is the case why do approx half of all Citigos have a cover over this 'hole' ?

this, I did not know, as I said in the previos post , I have only read the last page! *sigh.

This is the great mystery, why half the Citigos have an alternator cover and half haven't. We can't seem to get any answers off of dealers or Skoda ! Very fustraiting !

Picked the Mii up today and despite the horrible weathe had a look and grabbed a couple of shots. The Mii has a narrower grille I think than the Citigo so the problem is lessened. Having looked in the engine bay there does seems to be a cover in front of the alternator and you cannot see it through the griile

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

Picked the Mii up today and despite the horrible weathe had a look and grabbed a couple of shots. The Mii has a narrower grille I think than the Citigo so the problem is lessened. Having looked in the engine bay there does seems to be a cover in front of the alternator and you cannot see it through the griile

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

I can see something silver through your grill in the picture. I think that's your alternator so you haven't got a cover.

Bazves now I've seen the full pics of your Mii grill that does look like it has the cover. Look at my grill a couple pages back and that has the shiny metallic parts (aircon pipes) I believe showing like yours to the right of the pic.

Mick

Mystery Solved ! Response from Skoda below -

Thank you for your recent contact, regarding your ŠKODA Citigo.

In your email you asked to whether or not your vehicle should have an alternator cover fitted. I can confirm that specification

of the Citigo has been slightly modified.

All Citigo's built before the 16 August 2012, were fitted with a silver air conditioner hose. To stop this being seen through

the front grill, the black cover you photographed was fitted.

Citigo's built after 16th August 2012 are fitted with a black air-conditioner hose, so there's no longer a requirement for the

cover to be fitted.

Please be assured that there is no impact on quality, reliability or component longevity from the cover not being fitted.

If you require any additional information please do not hesitate to contact me on the details provided below.

Thank you for choosing a Citigo and I wish you many miles of happy motoring.

Kind regards

Kate Laws, Customer Relations Manager - Executive Office

• Like 2