Nissan Leaf drivers....

Mike Wrightson

I trialled one for two weeks, they are actually OK as a means of getting from a-b.

Not a driving fun car though.

Zippy silent acceleration, but speed limited to 99mph.

If it's an electronic limit then there is probably a way to remove it :)

Wonder if you can get a remap on an electric car? Tell the computer to ramp up the power to the motor sooner rather than gradually.

Were you able to spin the wheels at all in it? I would have though that in a car that has all it's torque instantly available this would be possible but depends if the car is programmed to give the motor it;s power gradually or not.

Phil

Electric car like the leaf make sense for commuting the problem is you still need another car for long journeys.

Yup.

That's why, with current technology, I would only ever consider a plug-in hybrid (Prius plug-in or Vauxhall Ampera) to use for the commute but then the ability to fill up with fuel and set off on the long journey.

Phil

• Like 1

Oh and BTW. I thought they had some speakers outside to generate some noise at low speeds?

Phil

I wonder if you could change the noise that they made. ;) V8 Ferrari for instance.

Oh and BTW. I thought they had some speakers outside to generate some noise at low speeds?

Phil

They do, but it's a very quiet noise that is no real help at all and I think it only worked under 30mph... so a bit pointless really.

Regards to performance they are quite brisk setting off, yes I was able to spin up the front tyres but the electronics soon cut in to stop such sillyness when you are suposed to be saving the planet.

No idea on removing the 99mph top speed limit, but it would result in the range plummeting. Sensible driving saw a range of 80 miles, but I got 45 once or twice.

I was testing it for work doing about 500 miles per week, so had to do a bit of mid-day charging.

If they were better to drive and had 20% more range I would seriously consider one, as it would then suit my use.

However, I'd also probably get bored of it after a few months and sell it...

Complete waste of time & money, & when you take into consideration the damage to the environment of manufacturing the batteries,& how do you recycle them, once they no longer hold their charge.

Stop ploughing money into EV & develop hydrogen fuel cell.

• Like 2

Stop ploughing money into EV & develop hydrogen fuel cell.

This, 100% this, so much money wasted.

I bet 1/2 the money they spent on EV's would pay towards making hydrogen exctracting cheeper and then petol stations can add a H pump to the forcort. stupid reaally isnt it.......... it is easyer for the goverment to tax Hydrogen than it is Electricity lol

This, 100% this, so much money wasted.

I bet 1/2 the money they spent on EV's would pay towards making hydrogen exctracting cheeper and then petol stations can add a H pump to the forcort. stupid reaally isnt it.......... it is easyer for the goverment to tax Hydrogen than it is Electricity lol

You only agree coz he's your dad and will spank you for arguing with him ;):rofl:
  • Like 2

On the plus side a cars tax bracket is at present decided when its registered. So buy one of these overcomplicated milk floats, rip out the washing machine motors & shoe horn in a lovelly sounding V8 complete with side pipes & cruise round paying no tax. That all assumes the car can take the weight of a real engine

You only agree coz he's your dad and will spank you for arguing with him ;):rofl:

Knew someone would say something like that. you barstuard

On the plus side a cars tax bracket is at present decided when its registered. So buy one of these overcomplicated milk floats, rip out the washing machine motors & shoe horn in a lovelly sounding V8 complete with side pipes & cruise round paying no tax. That all assumes the car can take the weight of a real engine

Not true, any leagal engine covertion if falling outside of the pre regestered tax band needs to be tested by the DVLA and re classified...... Sorry.

Knew someone would say something like that. you barstuard

Not true, any leagal engine covertion if falling outside of the pre regestered tax band needs to be tested by the DVLA and re classified...... Sorry.

So are you saying every car tuned needs to be checked as emissions will have changed ?????? ,

Err no, that's not true. There is no mechanism in place in the UK for a vehicle to have its CO2 emissions rating changed, regardless of any modifications. All the DVLA care about is what CO2 rating the vehicle had when new. You do have to inform them of an engine change but they never change the CO2 band as a result.

Electric car like the leaf make sense for commuting the problem is you still need another car for long journeys.

That's what I thought.

But when I had one to use it became clear that when we did any distance it was as a family most of the time, so we used the Yeti.

So the Leaf was used all week to commute as the main car while my wife used the Yeti to pop out with our son a few times.

Then come the weekend any long trips were done by the regular car. As we'd be leaving one car at home anyway, so no hardship with it being a Leaf.

For a two car family an electric car does make sense if it fits into your pattern of use.