Who`s RON are you using in these tough times?

Hey guys, had the pleasure of being robbed today whilst out in my vRS!! thing is I actually handed my money over whilst grumbling to myself in broad daylight and others followed suit and queued behind me ready to do the same this happened in the local Shell petrol station. Anyway I better not get started too much on this point otherwise I will be bouncing all over the place in anger and moving on to other political issues.

Being serious now, I have always ran my car on V Power 98Ron but today noticed its pushing the £1.50pl mark whilst normal 95Ron fuel is "Only" £1.38pl now the car tells me it needs 98Ron fuel so it feels well at all times. Is the car telling me this as it likes Champagne rather than sparkling wine, and is living outside its means?

I firmly believe it makes a difference to the performance even if its minimal and have had no issue using it in the past, but finances are starting to rule my head now and don't think I can justify the £0.12p pl or £7.20 I think on a 60ltr tank.

Have your habits changed in these tough times? and have you noticed any major difference or any other more serious mechanical problems?

I run mine on shell v power. Only because i have a shell points card and i get free fuell vouchers every now and then.

And i sneak a sly tank onto my works fuel card aswell now and again.

Thats a daft thing to own up to mate!

Called steeling I think unless its your busness?

And i sneak a sly tank onto my works fuel card aswell now and again.

Reminds me of someone I used to know who filled up his wife's car with company petrol and he fiddled his journey records to suit.

The company asked him why his company car did exactly the same mpg every week and why it didn't vary from summer to winter!

Mine's mostly had V Juice in my 4.5 years of ownership. She feels better and does return slightly higher mpg, but it doesn't account for the full 8p increase. I have measured it with a spreadsheet and experiments in the past and I found that on V Juice with mixed driving I was getting 3-4p of my 8p back (although at the time the premium was only 7p, it's gone up some point in the past 24 months).

At the moment I use regular coz I'm skint, but as the cold sets in and I start to think about heading to Italy, I'll be back on the good stuff I suspect.

• Like 1

V-Power is 99 RON by the way (OP mentioned it as 98). You get some good discount vouchers if you're in the V-Power Club!

I don't live anywhere near a Shell station any more, so I use Momentum 99 RON instead.

BP/Sainsbury's is 97 RON, so only gets used now and then.

Weirdly V-Power in Germany is 100 RON...

I was actually gonna ask this question myself, so im glad its came up, I was running mine on Shell V power, since running standard Shell fuel cars become a little erratic, on idle, and doesn't feel as smooth, problem is I also put an induction kit and straight through centre pipe on in between fuel changes.

what's people views on supermarket fuel, 2 breakdown recovery guys have both steered me away from it in the past so I have always used Shell,

From the responses here it seems deffo worth increasing the Ron, but just not 100% sure I want to put supermarket fuel in my car after what the recovery guys was telling me

its all the same, comes out the same tank.

only things that adiffer are the additives, shell and that have more cleaners n stuff in where supermarket is not a piled full of stuff.

I use Sainsburys aas ther are nearly next door to me and I find Momentum gets drunk faster than beer lo0l, 95 makes mine flat and lathargick n crap running. sainsburys 97 is a good all rounder, best eco and responce.

mine was mapped on Vpower back when it was cheaper lol, never used it since

Mines only ever had vpower

Well ..... Its had £20 off esso once

And its had £20 of the tesco momentum or whatever it is :D

The tesco stuff is meant to be great.... But ive always had a shell garage a stone throw away, and now i have like 3 shell garages within a mile ish lol

Have had my vrs just over 5 years now and I've always ran it on v power,tried some Tesco momentum and I felt it didn't run as well,have never ran it on normal unleaded,I only do 2000 miles a year in it so I don't have to worry too much about fuel prices.

I work for my father in law so he doesnt mind

The taxman will though, and he will come after you with a ferocity never matched by ANY employer, if he suspects anything.

Probably best keep schtumm!

• Like 1

The taxman will though, and he will come after you with a ferocity never matched by ANY employer, if he suspects anything.

Probably best keep schtumm!

TOO Late - HMG have spies EVERYWHERE. Biggest crime in UK LTD today is to try and avoid any tax, by any means .Even if it's legal .And as for any motoring offence , NEVER whisper anything, or the special experts wil be on yer trail. Paranoid, perhaps ,but how can they justify paying a self professed ex RN Nuclear Submarine Captain to get results on certain offences .

Edit- ( as in Asda, WOOPS,missed the smily) :sweat:

Edited by VWD