Opinions please?

lowedb

I'm a Superb Mk2 owner but have been looking at a second car. I've been surprsied how new / low mileage a Roomy we could get for the budget of around £5k.

So I've seen a few diesels, 1.4s and 1.9s with under 60k miles, and 06 / 07 reg ish. The spec level 3 seems to give us the options.

I've driven both engines in the past, but only on almost new models, and it was a while ago. So, which would you choose, and is there anything else I should think about with what I'm considering?

I have owned Roomsters with both engines and to be honest I am absolutely delighted with the 1.9. I've had mine for nearly 5 years now and have no intention of changing soon. I found the 1.4 to be a little short on power, particularly when attempting to overtake. As far as I can remember there wasn't much between them on fuel economy so I'd go for the 1.9. The level 3 spec is great too.

I, too am delighted with the 1.9. Masses of grunt and very economical. Mine always does more than 50MPG.

I test drove the 1.4 and noticed turbo lag and engine vibration. I thought the 1.9 nicer to drive.

Manufacturer's figures show little between the two engines on fuel economy. I say go for the 1.9.

Whichever diesel you choose, check cambelt (and preferably water pump) were changed at fourth annual service.

That's great, thanks. I was kind of thinking the 1.9 too, I think that's what we had. The 1.4s were only in the Fabias I think.

Good tip about the cambelt too.

• 3 weeks later...

According to DVLA, the 1.9 was available with and without DPF, however the DPF version actually moves into band F, the non DPF being in E. That said, I've not seen any for sale claiming they do have the DPF.

According to DVLA, the 1.9 was available with and without DPF, however the DPF version actually moves into band F, the non DPF being in E. That said, I've not seen any for sale claiming they do have the DPF.

Interesting. I have a non-dpf, but am in tax band F

Interesting. I have a non-dpf, but am in tax band F

Weird.

I have just dug out the 2009 brochure I looked at before buying my Roomy.

All 1.9TDI models are listed as Tax Band E. None are listed as having DPFs.

Mine is Band E. I've just taxed it for £120

Weird.

I have just dug out the 2009 brochure I looked at before buying my Roomy.

All 1.9TDI models are listed as Tax Band E. None are listed as having DPFs.

Mine is Band E. I've just taxed it for £120

Good to know. Think I will be ringing up the DVLA shortly and posing the question to them then.

I paid £135 earlier this year.

Yes been to look at one today, and it was a Band F, though no mention of a DPF.

Very dissapointed though. Described as immaculate, but full of scratches, upholstery needed a clean, two alloys need properly refurbing, and the front tyres were very different patterns, probably because they took a chunk out of one when they did for the alloys.

Dealer wouldn't budge on price either. I'll give you £200 off for no PX, but you'll have to pay the £135 for the tax if I do. £65 off a car that was low mileage, but had worked ever so hard for every one. No thanks.

Maybe I should pay a bit more and get a greenline 2?

Are you not interested in private sales? I think you can get much better deals that way, plus as it's a somewhat niche car the odds are that it's been well taken care of - as opposed to the one you looked at which seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

With some good haggling over the state of the alloys (mine were kerbed too) and a set of worn rear tyres, the price I paid came down by nearly 20%.

I did travel 150 miles to get it, but at over a grand cheaper than dealers were selling higher mileage ones for, it was well worth it

I might consider a private sale, but the only one I've seen advertised so far within a sensible distance had outstanding finance. It was cheaper than a dealer, but that's no good when the finance company pop round and reposses it.

Well still not finding much of interest, so if anyone spots any 1.9 level 3s, or if anyone has any search suggestions (other than the obvious ebay / autotrader / E&M / Gumtree) then give me a nudge. Needs to be reasonable for Midlands, Devon or Scotland are too far!

Can I please jump onto this old thread and ask similar question re opinions of last of 1.9 PD 105 or first of 1.6 CR105, I've had the 1.9TDI (110) in a Passat auto and 1.9 PD 130 in an Alhambra and loved both versions. I only cover about 8k pa now but the Alhambra is coming up 9 years and 100k and it's probably time for it to go.

I fancy the look of the Scout but they seem much pricier than the SE or SE plus equivalents. Is there a reason for this? Also is the 1.2 TSI 105 worth a look in view of my current mileage?

Hi Greenfieldboy and welcome to Briskoda.

The later 1.6 diesels have a Diesel Particulates Filter whereas the earlier 1.9 diesels do not - to the best of my knowledge.

I expect your 8,000 miles per year includes a lot of short journey and about-town use. If so, a Roomy with a DPF may give problems.

I specified the Scout because I preferred its appearance (interior and exterior) and I wanted roof rails, alarm, and all the extra electronic wizardry fitted to the Scout (e.g. Electronic Diff Lock, Anti Slip Regulation). The only downside is the tyres are wider and have lower profile than tyres fitted to other models. This gives the Scout a slightly firmer ride.

I love diesels and have owned them for many, many years. But the 1.2TSI is so good, and so diesel-like in its performance, it will be the engine of choice in my next Roomy. Take one for a test drive. You'll love it!

Can I please jump onto this old thread and ask similar question re opinions of last of 1.9 PD 105 or first of 1.6 CR105, I've had the 1.9TDI (110) in a Passat auto and 1.9 PD 130 in an Alhambra and loved both versions. I only cover about 8k pa now but the Alhambra is coming up 9 years and 100k and it's probably time for it to go.

I fancy the look of the Scout but they seem much pricier than the SE or SE plus equivalents. Is there a reason for this? Also is the 1.2 TSI 105 worth a look in view of my current mileage?

The 1.2 TSI 105 is definately worth a closer look. I have gone from 1.9 TDI Roomster to 1.2 TSI 105 DSG Roomster (via a Yeti 1.2 TSI 105 DSG), and I don't really ever miss the old diesel. I am getting ~43 MPG when commuting mostly short trips, and I am seeing close to or even over 50 MPG on longer streches of A roads cruising at 50 mph. And no DPF to worry about.

Thanks for the advice, it seems the Scout I had seen was a 90 and not a 105 so going to give it a miss (and it was red so my sarcastic mate would be humming 'Postman Pat' at me permanently)

Think I'll try and test drive an SE Plus with the TSI 105 DSG but for the mileage I do I can live with the manual. My old B5 Passat TDI 110 was an auto and I loved it but got the Alhambra PD130 manual as all the autos were only 115s (if you can follow that) - what's the view on options worth/not worth having?

Options worth having, in my opinion:-

1) Spare wheel in place of goo can. A £50 option when I bought mine

2) Roof rails. Expensive to retro-fit

3) Centre rear headrest. Yes - it's an option!

4) Panoramic sunroof, although I think it's standard on SE. I love mine.

Just spotted a Scout near me. I assume the 90/115 question is only for the 1.6CRs and this is a 1.9.

So was ESP standard on the Scout version? If not, is there an easy way to tell. In a photo, there are two switches to the right of the heater controls, and in the last car I saw there was only one. Is this the ESP switch, or is it that this Scout has the manual heating / air conditioning and has more switches to the right?

If its has ESP, it's heading to the top of my viewing list.

So was ESP standard on the Scout version? If not, is there an easy way to tell. In a photo, there are two switches to the right of the heater controls, and in the last car I saw there was only one. Is this the ESP switch, or is it that this Scout has the manual heating / air conditioning and has more switches to the right?

Excuse the electrical mess below. View of centre console displaying ESP on/off switch and rear screen demist switch to the r/h side.

FYI 2008 Roomster Scout PD105 aka PD150 ;)

IMAG0076.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, will go this weekend!

BTW, is the radio out to upgrade it? If so, what did you fit in it's place.

And no need to excuse it, I do far worse to my own cars and other peoples whenever I get chance.