Budget coilovers, or lowering springs?

whats delued? Dont know that one.

drive awful? bounce all over the road? You need to fit them properly, or improve your driving, mine dont seize as i used copper grease, mine dont bounce......at all!

If you are stupid enough, like your mates to drop them all the way to the bottom, then you deserve a bouncy ride.

Even at top theyre a 30mm drop, so down to 50mm - still fine.

Oh and by the way you arent just insulting me here! There are hundreds of other members with them that are happy, and you have called us stupid, and whatever delued is haha.

If they have broken parts in the first two years the warranty looks after them. Have a think before typing insults

Not being funny andy, but in all fairness to carl, hes right in what hes saying, i've got joms on my car improves the look as well handling on the car and i'am comfortable with the way it holds the road, the only bouncing i get is from the councils lack of care and attention to the road surface

My budget coilies are fine aswell. No bouncing at all and were fitted with copper grease also. So not expecting them to sieze anytime soon.

I have seen cars on this forum that have been done on a budget and car that have loads of money spent on them and you cant tell the difference.

Each to there own i say.

KW's ....mmmmmm are they not a bit...... chintzy?

End of the day my car realistically would struggle to achieve a grand, so why would i put half that into suspension, hence the jom route for me.

also hence the budget bumper/spoiler i just picked up, and the DIY spraying of them, looks absolutely mint for the £100 total spend.

You and that dam chintzy buddy...lol

JOM are from what I have read and seen best bang for buck on budget.

But to OP, don't go mad at lowering them as the std rebound is what these will suffer on like much if not all budget collies. So they will be good for 30 maybe 40mm which is where you are expecting. But start going any lower and will have a crashy type ride.

Also OP has an estate so weather that changes expectations not sure.

i had to do that so the wife would sign off on it.

Just lie like i do..............then leave receipts lying around and get the 3rd degree lol......

• 2 weeks later...

I have the jom plus coilovers on mine and the rides quiet soft for coilovers,

I just find that the rear end is abit lower than i would like even with then wound all way to top

Not being funny andy, but in all fairness to carl, hes right in what hes saying, i've got joms on my car improves the look as well handling on the car and i'am comfortable with the way it holds the road, the only bouncing i get is from the councils lack of care and attention to the road surface

Well, I'm sure he won't take offense, but you two should also remember that you are running DIESELS, as opposed to actual vRS's, and haven't actually had Jom's fitted for long enough to base your opinions on a long term "live-in" as such.

This also doesn't necessary equate to how well they are going to perform on the Original Posters vRS ESTATE.

The vRS' have a very different set-up, roll a lot less (and understeer like $h!t), and respond in a different way to coilies than standard Octavia's. So unless you have actually compared your standard setup in good working order, to a standard vRS setup in good working order complete with vRS anti-roll bar/drop links etc, and then onto the Jom's, this doesn't really give a valid comparison. Estate's are even more skitzy, and respond even more violently to harsh back-ends without enough rebound damping, and this isn't exactly an area where the Jom's excel.

Personally, on an Estate, I wouldn't do it. But again, this is just one opinion. YMMV.

Thats a valid consideration, they have improved our/my diesel/s no end. But i dont have first hand experience of them on a vrs.

I have now done 6k on mine and they feel exactly the same as they did new, so still happy.

Edited by Lofty79

@demonufo

What Ever..... hes asking opinions and mines is as above, and my car gets atleast 50k put on it a year in the last month with 7k put on it so..... i might not have my joms fitted "long Enough" but i've done 7k miles with them! thats what i'am basing my opinion on.

But in fairness to what you've said i aint got a vrs but i dont think there would be that much off a difference as the bodies are the same and roll aint greatly different

• Like 1

Just fitted a set of secondhand weitecs coilovers and I'm really impressed with them, stiffer but not too stiff. Handles really good like Audi sports suspension but not as harsh

Sent from my Galaxy S3, not a Crapple!

@demonufo

What Ever..... hes asking opinions and mines is as above, and my car gets atleast 50k put on it a year in the last month with 7k put on it so..... i might not have my joms fitted "long Enough" but i've done 7k miles with them! thats what i'am basing my opinion on.

But in fairness to what you've said i aint got a vrs but i dont think there would be that much off a difference as the bodies are the same and roll aint greatly different

Bodies aren't the same, Estate vs Saloon, and the vRS anti-roll set up feels a whole helluvalot different to standard setup, and behaves radically different too.

I wasn't having a go, merely stating that Your Mileage May Vary (and will) greatly to that of the OP if he were to do the same.

I have vmaxx coilovers on mine which at the time where the cheap option and are probably the same as Joms as most budget coilovers are built in the same factory anyway but mine have been on the car about 7 years and had no issues and to be fair my car is fairly low but ride is fine,mainly because the bumpstops are cut down which is usually the main reason for horrible bouncy crashy ride on really low cars because if you dont cut them down the car is pretty much resting on them and on the front of mine i removed the helper springs so I could wind the adjusters up more so I use more of the damper travel rather than bottoming out the shocks and to be honest the height I run then expensive coilovers would be a waste of money

DSC_0489-1.jpg

DSC_0493.jpg

And the wife's car is on Joms with the same mods as mine and again the ride is fine to be honest

DSC_0529.jpg

Edited by dsmithmobile
  • Like 1