Microsoft Security Essentials

Moist Von Lipwig

I used to swear by Kaspersky's Internet security, used it for six years. I switched to MSE after the last Kasperky licence ended in October lat year. I've found it quick to scan, light on system resources (and Kaspersky wasn't exactly resource hungry) and unobtrusive. I haven't had any complaints since installation on both machines almost a year ago. I wouldn't swap back, at least not for the foreseeable.

I've run it on an xp machine with zone alarm for about a year now.

Did a trial Norton install and found the machine had numerous infections which MSE didn't even twitch at. I certainly wouldn't trust it enough to do anything like online banking myself after that.

Have been using MSE for a good while now on our 2 laptops, no issues and unlike others doesn't try to take over and no popups ect.

MS have a vested interest in keeping there products and users protected, aftermarket vendors will be playing catch up IMHO.

• Like 1

don't trials sometimes give you false positives though, to get you to pay for the full version? Not that I'm cynical or anything ;)

Already thought it was, hijack this showed something I wasn't happy with, Norton sorted it.

Luckily nothing major. I'll stick to a paid app now thanks.

I've got MSE on two netbooks and three desktops and have had no problems for as long as it has been on there. It is infinitely better than the likes of AVG IMHO. I also occasionally run malwarebytes as well just to be safe though...

I use it. All AV software has its weak points (we pay a fortune for McAfee at work which is appalling). At least if I'm using a free AV solution, when it eventually does let something through (which can happen no matter how much care you take) I'm not left being ****ed off because I've paid 50 sheets a year for it.

I use it on 2 netbooks and my PC and have done so since it was released.

Never had a virus and as above it is very light on resources and very good to use on a netbook.

Phil

Windows 8 comes with MSE as standard, no need for any other AV software.

MSE is good enough to pass government PCI testing, and is deployed at work on the servers here. No problems at all, works perfectly well and has a small footprint.

Having seen first hand AVG let through viruses that MSE has detected and removed after being installed on the infected PC, I know which I would rather be using.

A lot of the technology behind MSE is a part of the commercial Microsoft ForeFront technologies. I have found it to be very good and has found stuff on old hard drives that neither Norton AV, AVG and several others had never found.

I use it in combination with SpyBot, and Malwarebytes.

• Like 1

Windows 8 comes with MSE as standard, no need for any other AV software.

MSE is good enough to pass government PCI testing, and is deployed at work on the servers here. No problems at all, works perfectly well and has a small footprint.

Having seen first hand AVG let through viruses that MSE has detected and removed after being installed on the infected PC, I know which I would rather be using.

Should you really be using MSE in a corporate environment? Dont you need to use the proper version.. endpoint protection or whatever its called :p

• Like 1

MSE recommended to me by a trusted computer professional. Used it ever since. No problems and no virus infections. It also does not slow down PC speed.

I've used this for nearly 2 years

Think of it this way; what are the most obvious things malways does? Slows your computer, annoying popups etc..sounds a lot like most paid for AV software

None of that with MSE. Just sits quietly in the background and does it's thing. Plus it's free and there is no scareware when your license runs out after a year.

The only bother your going to get is if you try your hardest to get infected. Be sensible and MSE will have your back.

Should you really be using MSE in a corporate environment? Dont you need to use the proper version.. endpoint protection or whatever its called :p

Yep, only allowed for up to 10 installs in MSB environments. You have to buy Forefront if in enterprise...although I think forefront may have be discontinued now.

Used it for a while when it first cam out (I think windows update foisted it on me and I found that the definitions update would frequently slow my laptop to a crawl. it was elderly though.

Ive installed it on afew machines for people since, I may take another look at it

Use MSE on my desktop (lappy came with free McAfee) no problems so far but I'm pretty paranoid anyway and run a pretty hardened Firefox setup.