Fabia Vrs Oil Fix

Hi mstafford, I would very much like to read a coherent narrative of your experience with your vRS.  Sadly, this thread which you started some 15 months ago now runs to 28 pages and more than 820 posts, it isn't very easy to follow and I don't know how I can download the entire thread and edit out those posts which don't add to the story.

Would you be willing dispassionately to write up what exactly you have been through and star a thread devoted JUST to your experience and interactions with Skoda?

I for one would be very interested and I suspect that I am not the only one :)

• Like 1

I have just been told due to my car having burnt out exhaust valves I'm getting a new engine after 16700 mls. Such cack engines VW have made :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Here's mine..

IMG_0189_zpsdf2fbe86.jpg

• Like 1

I think it was No.2, yes.  I'll have to check back.

EDIT:  Just checked back; yes it was cylinder 2.  Both cylinder 2 and 3 showed signs of scuffing of the bores when the engine was opened up; No.2 worse than No.3.

Edited by philhoward

Hi mstafford, I would very much like to read a coherent narrative of your experience with your vRS. Sadly, this thread which you started some 15 months ago now runs to 28 pages and more than 820 posts, it isn't very easy to follow and I don't know how I can download the entire thread and edit out those posts which don't add to the story.

Would you be willing dispassionately to write up what exactly you have been through and star a thread devoted JUST to your experience and interactions with Skoda?

I for one would be very interested and I suspect that I am not the only one :)

When I started my thread 15months ago before I bought my car I called SKODA and asked was there still an issue with oil usage and engine failures to which I was told " no this is a past issue and has been resolved with a new updated engine called the CTHE rather than the troublesome CAVE"

I believed this and proceeded with my car order. After the first 1500miles with no oil usage of note the car started to drink it by the liter every 400 to 500 hundred miles. I had the car in and out of the dealers 3 times and on each occasion they had it for a week to complete and oil consumption test. After the third test I was told the car was not using any oil at all ( 12 litres already used at this stage ) and I was just bewildered with there response.

I called SKODA uk and explained to them that I wanted it on record that I would now only top up oil as per handbook guidelines so 500ml per 1000km and I was confident that the engine would fail due to it having a lack of oil in it.

3 months later which brings us to last week I was traveling on the motorway and the engine warning light came on and the car started to shutter quite badly. I called SKODA assistance and they called out the RAC and when they plugged in the laptop it showed up cylinder 2&4 deactivation. I got the car back to the dealer and waited a week of it to be diagnosed before being told it needed a new engine and I would have to wait another 10days for the engine to arrive and be fitted.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I covered about 350 miles when they conducted my oil comsumption test, they told me their technician pumps the data into a spreadsheet and it calcuates usuage against mileage with a "special formula". Not just a standard excel spreadsheet then?! A "special one".

I done the driving myself and the test period was about 2 weeks. I ensured normal driving, so driving the car how it is meant to be driving to ensure an accurate result.

I would imagine if they did one 300 mile run in it then oil consumption would be minimal compared with ten 30 mile runs through town and in traffic etc which would be a true reflection of oil consumption. I suspect if they did the mileage for you then they would treat it like they do when they calculate efficiency figures. Rolling Road, steady 55mph, ambient temperature, no gradients or weather to contend with etc etc.

• Like 1

We have the Invoices and Official Oil consumption test results done only in the past 4 months in threads on here,

one where the Technician thought 1 litre of engine oil weighs 1000 kg.

Skoda are having that redone after rejecting the Owners Claim of High Oil usage,

They are not in any position to calculate anything,  they need to take some still going OK but burning OIl into the SKODA or VAG 

test facilities and get correct results.

The Revised the engines late 2012,  launch the Ibiza Cupra with the New Engine in 2013, and yet we already know of 3 Briskoda Members 

with the Revised Engine failing.

THey take the Mick and some Dealerships and Technicians might know the whole story,

others are making it up as hey go along.

Skoda & the Volkswagen Audi GRoup know the whole story, but then they are not telling.

Maybe the next 'Volkswagen Audi Group' Annual Report might mention in their Warranty Claim and failure figures.

george

I hope this helps.

It does, thank you although I would just love to hear Skoda's take on this.  I hope that the new engine helps you!

[a Skoda]  Technician thought 1 litre of engine oil weighs 1000 kg.

Maybe Skoda use "Heavy" oil man? ;)

Edited by vxh26

I done the driving myself and the test period was about 2 weeks. I ensured normal driving, so driving the car how it is meant to be driving to ensure an accurate result.

I would imagine if they did one 300 mile run in it then oil consumption would be minimal compared with ten 30 mile runs through town and in traffic etc which would be a true reflection of oil consumption.

Exactly right and the same as my experience. I think this is very important to note for anyone undergoing a consumption test.

Just dropped my car off at the dealers to get the oil test completed.  I was supposed to do 600 miles but I actually did 690 as I was awai in Plymouth this week which pushed my mileage up a bit.  The skoda guy at the dealers said the test results might not tally up now that I'd gone over the 600 mile mark.  He also said he doesn't think there's anything wrong as the oil light would have come on before this if there was a problem.  Just got to wait and see what the test results are now, I shall be asking for a copy of the results as well and I'll post them here when I get them.

The Oil light would possibly not come on if it was even 1 litre low from the 3.6 litre capacity,

so that shows how much he knows.

When you go back ask if he is a Trained Technician and can he show you where he gets his information on Oil Warning lights.

(my car was driven for 520 miles by my son over 3 weeks, and used 1.2 litres of oil and no Low OIl Warning light, 

or Low Oil pressure light came on.)

As to if you have done 690 miles instead of 621 miles (1000 km),  where Skoda/VAG say you might use that amount.

if it is using much more than 0.5 litres during your driving, it is still a FAIL.

Nobody should need to be topping up oil every Tank & a Half of petrol once a car has been run in.

Not really even while running in.

??

Did you check the oil level when they gave you it back 690 miles ago and today before leaving it with them?

• Like 1

The Oil light would possibly not come on if it was even 1 litre low from the 3.6 litre capacity,

so that shows how much he knows.

When you go back ask if he is a Trained Technician and can he show you where he gets his information on Oil Warning lights.

(my car was driven for 520 miles by my son over 3 weeks, and used 1.2 litres of oil and no Low OIl Warning light, 

or Low Oil pressure light came on.)

As to if you have done 690 miles instead of 621 miles (1000 km),  where Skoda/VAG say you might use that amount.

if it is using much more than 0.5 litres during your driving, it is still a FAIL.

Nobody should need to be topping up oil every Tank & a Half of petrol once a car has been run in.

Not really even while running in.

??

Did you check the oil level when they gave you it back 690 miles ago and today before leaving it with them?

I didn't check the oil cos they had put some sort of clip and tape on the dipstick and I was told if I removed it the test would be invalid.  I did ask how I knew how much new oil was in there and they just said you'll have to trust us.  Not the best answer but not sure what else I should have done.  Garages just confuse us non-techy car people with statistics and big words if we question them, looks like I need to make friends with some mechanics!

Thanks.  That is the best way for them to do it.  

If they are accurate, and the difference of you doing an extra 60 miles will not effect the result.

We do need to trust them,

but please get a Copy of the 'Report for the Consumption Test', They are sending it to Skoda.

It will have the Quantity & Weight of the Oil in and Oil Out.

It will be your Record of the Consumption, & if they have a problem in supplying you with that,

then get it from Skoda UK, they are paying for the test,

but the car is yours, and it is for them to confirm if your vehicle is using too much oil or not.

At Garages you are usually speaking with Service Desk staff,or Salespeople and their Technical Knowledge is 

often only about how to use Keyboard and a Phone maybe a calculator.

If they say otherwise ask to see their Certificates and NVQ's

So unless a Qualified Motor vehicle Technician is telling you Technical Details, its all taken with a pinch of salt.

Even then you double check, because you can not always trust them.

Got my car back and after looking at the paperwork I'm even more confused!

I was billed for one hours labour, a sump screw and 6 x litres of oil for a total of £115.91.

Here are the test results:

Oil Consumption according to workshop manual - 0.52 litres per 1000 km

Filled Oil quantity before test drive - 2350 grams

Drained oil quantity after test drive - 2145 grams

Test Drive Start 5957 miles

End 6652 miles (695 miles)

= 1000+ km driven

Calculated oil consumption is 0.42 l/1000 km

I have the scanned paperwork but not sure how to attach the jpg to my post!

Now I'm no mathematician but 2350 grams is only 2.75 litres (1 litre is 854 grams I think) so the car was not filled properly in the first place.

Just need to get all my facts right for when SUK call me back to discuss this.

Ian

• Like 1

I just my car back today and after reading the post above I totally agree that the people in the dealers don't have a clue, if you go through to SUK ask to speak to the tech dept as the person calling you is just a case handler and is not usually technically qualified and they will be the first to admit this.Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Got my car back and after looking at the paperwork I'm even more confused!

I was billed for one hours labour, a sump screw and 6 x litres of oil for a total of £115.91.

Here are the test results:

Oil Consumption according to workshop manual - 0.52 litres per 1000 km

Filled Oil quantity before test drive - 2350 grams

Drained oil quantity after test drive - 2145 grams

Test Drive Start 5957 miles

End 6652 miles (695 miles)

= 1000+ km driven

Calculated oil consumption is 0.42 l/1000 km

I have the scanned paperwork but not sure how to attach the jpg to my post!

Now I'm no mathematician but 2350 grams is only 2.75 litres (1 litre is 854 grams I think) so the car was not filled properly in the first place.

Just need to get all my facts right for when SUK call me back to discuss this.

Ian

Something is not right here. Are you sure all the figures you have quoted are correct?

NB.  Density of engine oil 856 kg/m3 or 856 grams/litre sounds about right

Something is not right here. Are you sure all the figures you have quoted are correct?

NB.  Density of engine oil 856 kg/m3 or 856 grams/litre sounds about right

I posted the documents I got from the garage here in post #14:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/305123-vrs-oil-consuption-test-and-dealers-saying-you-must-pay/

I'll be discussing this with SUK when they call me back in the next couple of days.

Edited by zom414

After missing each other for 3 days I finally spoke to my case advisorat SUK.  She said that the test results were fine and within tolerance for the engine so I wouldn't be getting my money refunded.  I said that I wasn't happy with the test as I didn't believe it had been carried out correctly.  Stated the oil weight and how much should have been in my engine for the test and she queried if I'd got all this information from the net and if I had then I shouldn't trust any of it and only trust what the technician tells me.  I told her the oil capacity was in the actual handbook but she wasn't really interested.  She's going to contact the garage now to see what they have to say about the test.  In the meantime I have spoken to the dealer and asked for a detailed test report which I'm hoping will contain more that the couple of hand written figures I received at the time.  She also denied that there any problems with the engines in the VRs.

Why do I feel like I'm going to be banging my head against a brick wall?

• Like 1