Columbus firmware upgrade

Gents, thanks for your replies so far. I put the phone in pairing mode (iPhone 5) and the Columbus could find it but when it tried to pair it said it was not a compatible device. The Bluetooth module is 5NO 035 730 C. Reading the pinned thread I think I need the D module to get it to work with iPhones? If I was to update my FW would V6 maps allow 7 digit postcodes?

Also I'm surprised that model doesn't work with an iPhone - it should allow connection via HFP, which I thought iPhones used, according to this:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Telephone_Retrofitting

Ok, so I went for the safest FW upgrade to start with - 381x - which has worked fine and I can now see the 'Version Information' option under the Radio Service Mode i.e. when you press the Setup button for about 10s. Here are my details;

Delivery Part Number: 3T0 035 680 B

HW-Version: H41

SW-Version: 3814

Map Version: 7074

So peeps...how far can I safely go in terms of FW revision...??

It looks like I have 'B' revision (disappointing) and therefore an upgrade to 402x would be a risk? Although I note that 'adamal' mentions earlier in the thread that there are A and B revisions of 402x...?? I'd also appreciate a reminder on how the map version...mappings...work i.e. what version maps am I currently running and presumably maps aren't dependent on FW revisions as such...??

Look forward to your expert thoughts!

Edited by wawilkinson

Thanks Chris, really good to know the correlation between map version and CD numbering!

I'm just searching around for the best place to 'purchase' the maps and may possibly settle on v8.0 (CD 7690) for my current 381x firmware?

Be interested to see if the experts concur? ;)

Edited by wawilkinson

Mine is actuall an 'A' revision unit (says so on the label) but now shows in the menu as I have updated it to 402x (it has showed 'B' suffix since I updated to 2xxx a couple if years ago.

In my experience you can go to the latest 402x firmware if you wish.

Mine is actuall an 'A' revision unit (says so on the label) but now shows in the menu as I have updated it to 402x (it has showed 'B' suffix since I updated to 2xxx a couple if years ago.

In my experience you can go to the latest 402x firmware if you wish.

Do you have a decent link for 402x firmware...I've found it but want to be sure it's safe!

No issues for me either. Revision A unit in my case too, just needed to locate the firmware specific to that revision. Started with a google of RNS510 4024 revision A. Can't remember where I ended up but didn't take long to find. My specific one partitioned the hard drive as music:maps:poi in the ratio 75:20:5.

As kb says yr version will say rev B in the part number, even if its an A, following yr upgrade to 3814. Safest way to check is via vcds. If not lever off fascia with a spatula, take 4 torx screws out, slide out unit and check part number on back. If its a genuine B its different software you need to if its an A.

Adam

Ok, well I'm an eager person...I have kicked off a 402x upgrade already, so fingers crossed that will go on smoothly too!

Once done I think I'm going to aim for v8 maps initially.

I appreciate all the advice so far and judging by the year of my car (mid-2010) and the years of yours (KB 07/ Adam 08) I should have a genuine B unit and be ok...

Fingers crossed! :|

Safest way to check is via vcds. If not lever off fascia with a spatula, take 4 torx screws out, slide out unit and check part number on back. If its a genuine B its different software you need to if its an A.

Easier to pop off the dash top box and have a look as the label is nearly always on top of the HU casing and can be seen from there.

No screws and only a hazard switch to contend with (which may not need to be removed).

Oh no....I've broken it...ONLY JOKING...!! ;)

All worked fine, navigation, media, BT and radio all working perfectly and now upgraded to 402x firmware!

Maps are still at the same level (7047) clearly, so I think the next task is to get up to v8 maps, then I think I'll be happy....for now!!

I've got the image for v9 maps, I had it on DVD but gave it to another guy last week. You can download it yourself and burn it to a dual layer DVD using the slowest speed for extra reliability.

To do that would be illegal...

Oh no....I've broken it...ONLY JOKING...!! ;)

All worked fine, navigation, media, BT and radio all working perfectly and now upgraded to 402x firmware!

Maps are still at the same level (7047) clearly, so I think the next task is to get up to v8 maps, then I think I'll be happy....for now!!

where did you get the firmware from, as the links on my-gti are broken

Firmware is legally free (AFAIK) and is circulated quite freely and openly on the net.

Map data is not so openly given (wonder why - because it is copyrighted?) and is downloaded from file sharing / torrent / whatever you call them sites.

Have a look on the 'VW Navi' forum there will be links from there. A guy called 'Josi' is very reliable - so anything he posts will be legit.

I've been thinking about the whole maps legality thing...I don't condone Skoda owners downloading and burning copyrighted material to DVDs, although I also don't agree that the official copies cost in the region of £200 but Navteq make the maps and license/sell them to VW so VW have the right to charge whatever they want for them...

However, I mentioned earlier in this post that my local Skoda dealer, who is a franchise like most Skoda dealers, offered to update my firmware and maps for £30 and no one complained about copyright then...it was seen as a 'good deal'...so what's the difference? The franchised dealer has no more right to sell the maps at a cut down price (and keep the CD/DVD) than you or I as Skoda owners (probably less right in fact).

So though I don't condone Skoda owners sourcing the maps from alternative locations that could be illegal, we should also not condone dealers effectively doing the same!!

• Like 1

So though I don't condone Skoda owners sourcing the maps from alternative locations that could be illegal, we should also not condone dealers effectively doing the same!!

I absolutely agree, albeit from a slightly different viewpoint. When software became commonly distributed on CD and DVD/ROM, everyone expected to get a physical copy of the media, although they were aware (or should have been) that what they actually owned was a licence to use the software that was personal to them and (usually) for one computer only. Nowadays, software purchases via downloading is commonplace, but the same licensing principles apply. Leaving aside multi-seat and network licenses, most consumers are happy to buy their software in this manner, in spite of the lack of physical media provided (other than as an extra cost).

When I bought my first Skoda (Octavia Elegance) in 2004, it came with the sat-nav maps loaded (by the dealer) and the software disk was in the glovebox. This was also the case when I bought my current Superb II from the same dealer in 2009. Some members seem to feel that the physical disk has no value, as the maps are already loaded, in spite of the possibility of a future need to reload them if any software/hardware problems occur with the head unit. I believe that a disk should be provided with each sat-nav head unit, as the licence must relate to the use of software that has been loaded from a disk. Others may feel that it's OK for Skoda to have one disk from which they load all sat-nav head units in their showroom. Actually, that probably equates to having a multi-seat or network licence copy of the media, but at the very least I would expect a copy of the licence to be provided to the consumer - I believe that to be a legal requirement.

So what about costs? My two Skodas each came with a disk, ordered at purchase. Cars nowadays seem not to come with disks, yet the maps are loaded from a disk by the dealer. Surely this must mean that it is the dealer who is saving money by not providing customers with disks? If the dealers are retaining one disk and loading all subsequent head units with it, then they are in breach of copyright legislation unless the disks provided to the dealers are purchased under a multi-user licence. I've seen no such licence displayed anywhere at my dealer, who - AFAIK - still provides a disk. For a dealer to load head units with a single-licence disk is - at the very least - questionable behaviour. To charge for doing so is downright illegal, as far as I can see.

If Skoda dealers are fraudulently using single-user disks to load a number of head units, is it any wonder that their customers see nothing wrong with obtaining the data from un-licensed sources via torrent downloads?

Firmware is a whole different story. Most manufacturers of electronic equipment have products that use firmware which can be updated. This is particularly true of smart TVs and telephones, DVD HD recorders, etc. and facilities are provided by the manufacturer for the consumer to upgrade the firmware as improvements are made to it. This is good practice and excellent customer service, especially as the process is almost impossible to get wrong. The head units contain a computer which can also have its firmware updated (within certain limitations relating to build year and head unit revisions), yet dealers seem to be generally ignorant of the process, reluctant to investigate it and generally dismissive of the fact that VAG firmware works across a wide range of fitted equipment in a variety of models and makes. I would go as far as to say that a majority of dealers don't know the difference between software and firmware to begin with, although I would love to be proved wrong in that assumption. Until firmware updates become part of regular maintenance - without cost - it's nowhere near to customer service. It's quite fortunate that there are very few "bricked" units caused by DIY updating, but there should be no need at all for consumers to have to resort to DIY downloads, burning, etc. in order to get the very best out of their expensive electronic purchases. Other major brands cope with it, why can't Skoda?

Ray