hi a newbie need convincing

ken b

hi looking to downsize motor fed up with present car very expensive to run mpg tax insurance only do around 60000ml per year do most milage on my beloved fjr1300 my car at present is a vectra 2.2 cdx petrol and as i getting on in years its harder to get in & out of the garage hence smaller car have been looking for a new car criteria is quite hard 5 door hatch sunroof electric rear windows flattish loading area cruise control heated seats the main contenders bmw series 1 £23.000 ford focus titanium £21.000 audi a3 £22.000 skoda fabia monte carlo 1.2 tsi 105 petrol £13.500 i know its a no brainer but its the badge i dont want to upset anyone i just need convincing . im the sort of guy that visited my local skoda dealer derek slack mbro on many occasions and parked in the car park just looking then leaving without getting out the car i done this three four times the last time a salesman grabbed me thought i was stealing a car bit by bit but persuaded me into showroom and introduced me to the fabia you can get everything i want need and more but the stigma we even had a little test run great he pulled up lifted the bonnet and showed me the engine stamps vw vw vw but i left with thoughts in my head skoda skoda skoda after 3 weeks i saw a monte carlo red on the road looked stunning so rang up slacks asking for a extended test drive which i got and quite enjoyed although the engine sounded rough untill i was told it was only a 3 cylinder job left still not convinced a month passed untill now browsing the web found this site and a de badging bit looks quite interesting at the last meet at slacks was told the car i was interested in with all the toys etc would provisionaly take 16 weeks is that a realistic time looking for good comments to help me sorry its been long winded and not punctuated but thick looking foreward to your replies good or bad many thanks ken b 62ish deaf oap

£13,600

2012 (61 reg), Hatchback

Trade seller, distance: 45 miles

• 2,776 miles
  • Manual
  • 1.6L
  • Diesel

5 Doors, Manual, HATCHBACK, Diesel, 2,776 miles, PANTHER BLACK, 1 Owner(s), CD Player, Air Conditioning, Electric Windows, Alloy Wheels. New £20595 Including.£750 Sat Nav …

See all 283 cars from Mja Car Sales

for the money you want to spend something like this might be better for you as you seem to have a problem with the skoda badge .all i would say is the skoda will lose less money

bill

Hello Ken, welcome to Briskoda. I think maybe you should do some research into Skoda & if once you've read actually Skoda history, not communist occupied stuff, but real Skoda, & current stuff (like Which magazine voting Skoda Yeti the most reliable car on sale in the uk this week) you still have the same fears, then Skoda is not for you & you can go buy something inferior else that you can bare to be seen in! :giggle:

The stigma is the best part, people have these pre conceived ideas from the cars of many many years ago. Lets face it, these people are naive and generally clueless when it comes to cars.

Wait until people say wow that's really nice, didn't except it to be that nice, wow it's got four wheels etc etc.

Why not look at a mk1 Fabia? The vRS is cheap to run/tax/insure they're quick and best of all can be picked up for sub £5k easily. The elegance comes with heated seats etc if that's what you're after.

Oh and welcome :)

Hi and welcome aboard.

Back in 2002 and looking for a new car i never thought about Skoda as i had in my head all the jokes that went around about Skoda and to me was a joke badge. My wife convinced me to go for a test drive and once we got back from the test drive we ordered one i fell in love with it, good quality and good value for money. I am now on my 2nd Fabia and won't look at another make as i have never had a problem and now there is no joke about the badge as everyone now knows that Skoda are no joke.

But if you feel that the badge is a joke to others and more worried about what other think than what the badge actually means then it is not for you.

• Like 1

This sounds like you dont really need convincing someone else does, otherwise you wouldnt have come to a site where there is a considerable bias towards this product.

If you went to BMW, Ford or Audi forums you would get the same positive feedback.

Maybe you should look at the he JD power results for the last 5-10 years & compare manufacturers that way, This will then give you a closer look at real world perceptions of Skoda, rather than a biased view from the forums.

Coming to Skoda alternatives :nerd:

You werent keen on the Monte 105 engine.

Have you considered an Octavia 1.4tsi ? ( maybe estate for flat load & underboot storage) ? this should give you the same space as your current car, along with an approx real world 40MPG possibly more if driven carefully

Hope you find what youre happy with regardless of brand.

• Like 1

Hello Ken, and welcome.

Looking at a badge on a car and assuming it's bad because of what

you may or may not have heard in the past is a bit of a blinkered attitude really.

I see by your age that you would have been an adult during the 70s and 80s

when Skoda developed its mother in law joke status. A lot of water has passed

under the bridge since then, but the mud has stuck with the whole reputation thing.

This is mostly down to people of a certain age who remember all the wisecracks.

A lot of the young lads who are getting into these cars nowadays are too young to have

been around when this was the popular belief and are therefore not affected by the stigma.

Let me ask you a genuine question, is this any different from assuming all black people are lazy,

all asian people are dishonest businessmen, all italians are cowards, all germans are nazis,

all jews are tight etc etc??? That's what many TV comics were saying at around the time

the Skoda jokes were doing the rounds. Of course not right? But a lot of people still hang on to

those beliefs out of fear of change.

I know a car is an inanimate object and thus doesn't have feelings to hurt so not quite the same.

I mean, an Octavia doesn't care either way if you buy it or a BMW.

But not buying one because of what Les Dawson or the bloke down the pub might have said in

the 80s is just ludicrous.

It's just the same pre programmed attitude of distrust that keeps racism alive and well.

And like racism it's based on hearsay from others who often have no actual real experience

of the people thay are slagging off.

I like to decide what to believe myself, I certainly wouldn't let the opinions of

others sway me either way. I had a VW before my Skoda but now since owning a Skoda I consider

the Skoda a step up from the VW I used to have.

I say give one a chance, (Maybe not a 3 pot :p they sound funny)

• Like 1

From grr666: I like to decide what to believe myself, I certainly wouldn't let the opinions of

others sway me either way. I had a VW before my Skoda but now since owning a Skoda I consider

the Skoda a step up from the VW I used to have.

very true

I say give one a chance, (Maybe not a 3 pot :p they sound funny

the 1.2 htp sounds lovely when revved actually Gary. and again, people slated 3 cylinder engines but I drove one & made a decision on it's own merit. :rock:

Hello Ken and welcome along :thumbup:

As said, people's stigma surrounding Skoda is the best thing, it means all we current owners have pretty darned good cars which others don't know about :)

• Like 1

I was thinking of writing something about Skoda, but got stuck on the Vectra.

You drive one of the most slated cars out there and are worried what people think of the Skoda badge.

You can't really care what people think that much!

• Like 4

I was thinking of writing something about Skoda, but got stuck on the Vectra.

You drive one of the most slated cars out there and are worried what people think of the Skoda badge.

You can't really care what people think that much!

Good point.

I am a recent convert to Skoda. My shortlist was 5 series BMW estate and E class Merc estate. A colleague at my wifes co. had a Superb Elegance estate as a company car and loved it. I went to see it, then went for my own test drive, then I ordered one. Everybody, and I do mean everybody I speak to say what a great car it is and how good the build quality is.

I am now smug when I drive it because a) its a cracker, B) it saved me over 15k comparing the BMW and Merc, c) not many people have seen the light and haven't got one, d) enthusiastic dealers [very lacking in the other two] e) I feel sorry for all those uneducated people who do not realise what a truly great product the Skoda lineup has evolved into.

When I looked for my first car in Feb 2011 (only really wanted something cheap that worked), my mum pointed out a Felicia for sale and I said "I'm not buying a Skoda!" I bought myself an Audi 80 and ran it for a year.

After it broke down once, I started looking for a newer car and I chose the Fabia in the end, even though everyone at work made all the jokes. I fell in love with it after the test drive though and I've not had any serious issues with it so far, few niggles but then I did buy a 9 year old car.

Once you realise how "VW" they are, the Skoda badge is actually a good thing, VW reliabilty with a much lower price. No brainer really

When I looked for my first car in Feb 2011 (only really wanted something cheap that worked), my mum pointed out a Felicia for sale and I said "I'm not buying a Skoda!" I bought myself an Audi 80 and ran it for a year.

After it broke down once, I started looking for a newer car and I chose the Fabia in the end, even though everyone at work made all the jokes. I fell in love with it after the test drive though and I've not had any serious issues with it so far, few niggles but then I did buy a 9 year old car.

Once you realise how "VW" they are, the Skoda badge is actually a good thing, VW reliabilty with a much lower price. No brainer really

I think you've missed the point? Skoda's are arguably better built & proven to be more reliable than VW or any other brand in the group. Again harping back to the Which Report. Most unreliable: Audi A5, most reliable Skoda Yeti :thumbup:

Things are constantly changing in the Auto industry. Yes they all component share, but the days have gone when buying a new Skoda was a cheaper way of getting 'VW reliability' now days, Skoda are leading the way, design flare, quality & BETTER reliability at a more affordable price. Take a look at the latest Top Gear magazine glossy new car review thingy. Most of the Skoda range is the 'editors choice' even the ageing Octavia, which he refers to as 'one of the best cars for sale in the whole world'!

Imho it's Seat who are the lowest of the brand now. Who makes all the 1.2 tsi engines for the whole group? Skoda. Who makes all the DSG gearboxes for the group from the end of the year? Skoda. Who makes the new Toledo for Seat? Skoda. Who wins the majority of the surveys? Skoda.

Just my opinion obviously! :think:

• Like 1

hi looking to downsize motor fed up with present car very expensive to run mpg tax insurance only do around 60000ml per year do most milage on my beloved fjr1300 my car at present is a vectra 2.2 cdx petrol and as i getting on in years its harder to get in & out of the garage hence smaller car have been looking for a new car criteria is quite hard 5 door hatch sunroof electric rear windows flattish loading area cruise control heated seats the main contenders bmw series 1 £23.000 ford focus titanium £21.000 audi a3 £22.000 skoda fabia monte carlo 1.2 tsi 105 petrol £13.500 i know its a no brainer but its the badge i dont want to upset anyone i just need convincing . im the sort of guy that visited my local skoda dealer derek slack mbro on many occasions and parked in the car park just looking then leaving without getting out the car i done this three four times the last time a salesman grabbed me thought i was stealing a car bit by bit but persuaded me into showroom and introduced me to the fabia you can get everything i want need and more but the stigma we even had a little test run great he pulled up lifted the bonnet and showed me the engine stamps vw vw vw but i left with thoughts in my head skoda skoda skoda after 3 weeks i saw a monte carlo red on the road looked stunning so rang up slacks asking for a extended test drive which i got and quite enjoyed although the engine sounded rough untill i was told it was only a 3 cylinder job left still not convinced a month passed untill now browsing the web found this site and a de badging bit looks quite interesting at the last meet at slacks was told the car i was interested in with all the toys etc would provisionaly take 16 weeks is that a realistic time looking for good comments to help me sorry its been long winded and not punctuated but thick looking foreward to your replies good or bad many thanks ken b 62ish deaf oap

hi again thanks for your comments and after some deep thought ive decided that this friday im going to order a fabia monte carlo 105 but now cant decide petrol /diesel any thoughts most welcome also checking the web have found a site called orange wheels very good discounts with all my bits cruise control/elec rear windows/heated seats/sunroof/armrest/ spare wheel & maxi dot £13,368 ive give up on the sat nav after reading some reports on this site will stick with my portable garmin zumo 550 off motorbike.thanks again anybody used or got any thoughts about orange wheels i will be popping along to derek slack with my findings to see if they can pricematch will keep you posted as outcome

Hi again Ken

The answer is simple really specially if you are still looking at cost.

If you are going to do more than 18k miles a year then it should be Diesel, otherwise its Petrol.

Even in a CR diesel short journeys are not good( these dont have the dpf issues that the PD engine had) & the additional cost for the car + fuel will work out more in the long term either per month or per year, plus you wont get any better resale with low miles on the diesel.

I am sure more people will confirm mu thoughts above & hope this helps

Hi Ken,

Also go to 'drivethedeal.co.uk' to compare internet price.

After this, get on the phone to you local dealers and get the price you see on the net - keep trading one dealer off against another to get the internet price, don't pay a penny more - they want you business I can assure you, after all it's October, slow time for selling cars. Dealers look on potential customers not only for the profit on the car but also the likelyhood you will use them for servicing, etc, going forward. I would recommend getting your deal on the phone rather than sitting in the showroom, you probably feel more obligation when sitting across from a nice salesman.

Worked for me, got the internet price direct with local dealer.

Hope this helps and good luck...

Griffo

Come on Ken, Skodas are the same under the body as a VW or a Seat or an Audi, just like a Vauxhall is a Opel or a Saab and a jaguar is a ford etc etc etc. Skoda never really deserved the reputation they once had, but modern cars are all pretty damn good these days, I've not long since bought a 2002 octavia estate. it's essentially a mk4 golf estate, same engine, same running gear etc etc etc, but the equivalent golf would have cost me double. it's a no brainer.It really just comes down to the badge on the front, and anyone who would judge you or your car based on a badge is a shallow ignorant fool.

incidentally, i think my octavia may be the best purchase I've ever made.

good luck mate, whatever you decide.

hi again thanks for your comments and after some deep thought ive decided that this friday im going to order a fabia monte carlo 105 but now cant decide petrol /diesel any thoughts most welcome also checking the web have found a site called orange wheels very good discounts with all my bits cruise control/elec rear windows/heated seats/sunroof/armrest/ spare wheel & maxi dot £13,368 ive give up on the sat nav after reading some reports on this site will stick with my portable garmin zumo 550 off motorbike.thanks again anybody used or got any thoughts about orange wheels i will be popping along to derek slack with my findings to see if they can pricematch will keep you posted as outcome

hi again well i dont need convincing anymore i popped over to my local dealers derek slack today and walked out after ordering a skoda fabia monte carlo i showed the qoutes from orange wheels / drive the deal he tried rubbishing them as expected but couldnt match the price untill i started to walk then suddenly he started to give me freebies the sun is going to shine a lot brighter through a free sunroof get my drift so if the salesman s telling the truth he recons very late december / early january i will be a proud owner of a skoda cant wait comeing up 63 first new car

• 2 months later...

hi well i bought, waited 12weeks and picked up my fabia monte 105 tsi petrol yesterday at 12 noon drove it straight home and into garage went to match cracking result won 4-2 vs blackpool got back in around 11pm ish slightly tidderly had a look around the car had the fabia & tsi badges off no time low heat hot air gun back looks tidier now went to bed thinking on ways off getting the front rear badges off, woke this morning set the back out for abbey my dog and set off to get used to the car wow wow wow how wrong can somebody be the car is a wonder nippy as hell and basically a go cart with a body shell on first on the agenda fill up the tight wads had put according to the maxidot 55 mls to refuel full tank some £46ish later away everywhere various speeds not to vicious different roads / surfaces + motorway miles tried the cruise control basically got used to it showed it off to family and every last one of them drove it and all commented what a cracking motor my nephew even offered me the full price i paid for it if i didnt want to keep it he,s 29 and he could not belive it was only a 1.2 engine so punchy plenty of poke well in total i managed to do some 168 miles and only used a quater tank the computer thing (might not be doing this right ) but says im averging 43.4mpg i now know ill get nothing like that after its run in because the speeds will increase and the turbo will be working a lot harder than todays ride out but on todays run what fuel i put in and have left will well do im so so pleased only a pity i didnt find the monte sooner so i can only say sorry and for someone with such a stigma about a badge im a true convert in fact i have no intention of removing the front rear/ logo,s but must paint the brake drum & caliper black so once again sorry and thanks for the comments recieved good & bad only problem i bought it on a pcb scheme and said i would only do 8000 mls per year that just might be pie in the sky now but more than possible will be keeping car after the 3yrs uless i die in the meanwhile

• Like 1