09 VRS Ltd Edition 2.0 Tsi Engine Gone Bang!

Take all your info to whatcar/auto express/sunday post etc and when you tell them about it say it has happened to quite a few cars and they should be interested in it. Get them to write an articale on it slating skoda about it and its amazing what can happen.

Agree. a few years ago I phoned up Auto Express ( I think!) and told them that I believed my alloy was bubbling in a place that would be difficult to reach area for it to suffer that quickly from a stone chip & subsequent corrosion, and although Skoda basically told me to do one, as soon as they knew the issue was going to press they couldn't bend over backwards quickly enough and I got a phone call from a SENIOR customer care consultant, Joe Van Kesteren who quickly agreed to changing the wheel and giving me 50% off my next service.

And this is for an alloy, which as we all know, are unbelievably difficult to get an admission of fault out of ANY car company.

Just saying.

Hi all,

Can anyone please suggest who its best to contact (other motor codes) in respect of this issue, who needs to know?

This cant heppen to anybody else, so want to ensure that everyone knows about it.

Cheers

Dan

Perhaps contact Chris Mason who blogs @ motorcodes:

http://blog.motorcodes.co.uk/

He might be a good contact; or the SMMT http://www.smmt.co.uk/

• Like 1

I would suggest that you try to speak to someone senior at SUK as I'm sure that they won't want any bad press over this issue. Unfortunately due to the way that it fails, I can't see it being a VOSA recall as it isn't a safety issue. The problem is that the tensioner will drop back too far when the oil pressure drops when the Engine is turned off. The timing slips and then the whole lot meets up when you next try to start the car.

Good Luck - remember you are in the right - it is a clear design issue with the part (IMHO).

Paul

You need to get it in writing that the dealers diagnosis is that the tensioner failure was as a result of a manufacturing defect.

Once you have this you can prove Skoda UK have lied.

This will also be the backbone of your evidence for any legal proceedings.

Since you say that the dealer is as angry as you in one thing, they may be playing the game, trying to appease you at the same time as supporting Skoda UK. Skoda UK have much more power over the dealer than you do.

You need the dealers findings confirmed and written down and signed on headed paper. A tough call but an important requirement.

• Like 1

Its my 25th Birthday today, I win £40 on a scratchcard, and get the phone call from Skoda saying they are paying in full!

Best birthday present ever! Lol

Thanks to all for all the assistance given so far, and please let me know If anyone needs any advice if this should unfortunately happen to them.

Wow! Agreed - a fabulously lucky day for you. Buy some lottery tickets quick (and give me 10% of your winnings :giggle: )

Have a good one!

• Like 1

If SUK are reading this thread - it shouldn't have taken this long to get to this point.

All we as the buying public want it that you stand by your product - if there is a design flaw - we the purchasing public should not be out of pocket - especially £4K for a replacement engine.

These things happen - but how you deal with it is what matters :sun:

Paul

Its my 25th Birthday today, I win £40 on a scratchcard, and get the phone call from Skoda saying they are paying in full!

Best birthday present ever! Lol

Thanks to all for all the assistance given so far, and please let me know If anyone needs any advice if this should unfortunately happen to them.

Awesome, glad it's sorted mate :) Happy Birthday!

Im bloody extatic, the right result.... took 6 weeks to get there but got there in the end!

Merry Christmas to all! :-)

Congratulations on your result from Skoda UK!! Happy Birthday to you too!!! It's actually my son's 14th birthday today as well!!

Many happy returns to you!

• Like 1

On the 22nd of December 2012 my wife went to start my 09 tsi VRS, wouldn't start. The RAC came and ended up taking to the Rayliegh Skoda dealers, South East Essex Group.

Spoke to the workshop manager this morning and he is suspicious that it might be a "timing jump" and may be a major job, I'm now assuming a new engine after reading this thread. My car was 3 years old last October and has only 27000 or so on the clock, never been modified or "raced". I am expecting the worse.

Chris

On the 22nd of December 2012 my wife went to start my 09 tsi VRS, wouldn't start. The RAC came and ended up taking to the Rayliegh Skoda dealers, South East Essex Group.

Spoke to the workshop manager this morning and he is suspicious that it might be a "timing jump" and may be a major job, I'm now assuming a new engine after reading this thread. My car was 3 years old last October and has only 27000 or so on the clock, never been modified or "raced". I am expecting the worse.

Chris

I have messaged you, if you need any help give me a shout, having gone through this with Skoda UK and Essex Auto Group Skoda, only happy to help!

• 2 weeks later...

Chris

Any news on the above?