door card fabric bit

theo_k

Hi everyone. In the picture below where the red bit is, the fabric has come loose in my car, not ripped or scratched. If I take the door card off, can I get the white fabric with the plastic off the rest of the door card? And then use some kind of a fabric glue and glue it back?

Has anyone a door card laying around to have a look for me? Maybe a picture from the back side of the door card?

dcarde.jpg

Hi everyone. In the picture below where the red bit is, the fabric has come loose in my car, not ripped or scratched. If I take the door card off, can I get the white fabric with the plastic off the rest of the door card? And then use some kind of a fabric glue and glue it back?

Has anyone a door card laying around to have a look for me? Maybe a picture from the back side of the door card?

dcarde.jpg

the back to the fabric is a premoulded plastic, which is plastic welded to the door card, to remove you will need to get it out first by heating or chisiling out the welds, if the fabric has come loose (like it did in mine) then the only way is to remove the whole thing, i replaced with leather, not sure you will get the material off the plastic either as its bonded, and almost welded on on the edges, i recon once you get it off you will never get it looking the same as it will stretch/damage on removal.live with or retrim basically

• 8 years later...

Thread revival time. It's astonishing that every time I Google an issue with my MK1 vRS, no matter how trivial, there's a Briskoda thread (or 10).

Has anyone tried injecting glue through the fabric to solve this 'sagging' issue? Two of my door cards are doing this, so I may attempt it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, snoopdowg said:

That's right, someone suggested using a heat glue gun but I'm not sure how effective that would be.

Anyway I have bought myself a Skoda yeti now and parked up my Fabia

I'm currently taking apart door cards and trying to solve the sagging problem. Eventually I'll have to get around to reattaching the centre section and, if I find a solution, I'll report it back here!

12 hours ago, nutters_uclan said:

Whilst true in most circumstances, I'm not sure how many people have the set up to redo plastic welds!

I've just used a soldering iron to plastic weld bumpers in the past.  Usually you can just melt the 2 sections together. If you need to let in additional plastic you need to make sure you use the same type of plastic. The type is normally stamped on the panel somewhere, eg ABS etc. 

• Like 1

I use tywraps as filler rods when making bodge repairs to many different types of plastics, many of us have them in various thicknesses and colours, well black and white and maybe some silver ones for wheeltrims.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, a1topdog said:

I've just used a soldering iron to plastic weld bumpers in the past.  Usually you can just melt the 2 sections together. If you need to let in additional plastic you need to make sure you use the same type of plastic. The type is normally stamped on the panel somewhere, eg ABS etc. 

Good tip, cheers. Did it knacker the soldering iron doing that?