SKODA Insurance

Franco99

I have just received the renewal notice from SKODA insurance for the Yeti. Nothing has changed and having paid £225 last year, they want £290 this year! LloydsTSB and Hastings both come in at under £200, so I rang SKODA to see if they could come down to around last year's figure. Their response was to do absolutely nothing in order to retain my business. Has anyone here had a similar problem?

I think they are all the same, you are now just a policy number and no more. I have just left my insurance company after 13 years without claim, they wouldn't budge on price either, so I switched, and next year I'll do it again if they try a fast move by saying I got a new customer discount.

I have experienced this every time over the last 3 or 4 years on virtually all my insurance not just the car, they offer to reduce it only if I reduce my cover and/or up my excess. Daft when like for like insurance saves me 1/3 after talking to the Meercats or the singing fat bloke. My insurance company changes every year. Oddly I am with Skoda insurance this year as the overall package was hard to beat.

+1 Hairball

Cant remember the last time I renewed with the same company.

Last year I reduced from my 04 Octavia estate to a Hyundai i10, and my current company at the time wanted MORE money on a fully comp / 9 yrs NCD £250 policy.

I shopped around and got the same cover for £130 with RIAS.

I have just received the renewal notice from SKODA insurance for the Yeti. Nothing has changed and having paid £225 last year, they want £290 this year! LloydsTSB and Hastings both come in at under £200, so I rang SKODA to see if they could come down to around last year's figure. Their response was to do absolutely nothing in order to retain my business. Has anyone here had a similar problem?

Have you cancelled and got another quote as a 'new customer'???

Kitten and I did that this year and saved £230.00 :clap:

Skoda insurance is just a name, it is underwritten byanother company as per just about all insurance product unless going to one of the underwriters direct. They'll have a tolearance that they can flex the policy between either reducing or increasing their comission, but ultimately the price you pay is the underwriter price + a percentage.

• Like 1

Skoda insurance is just a name, it is underwritten byanother company as per just about all insurance product unless going to one of the underwriters direct. They'll have a tolearance that they can flex the policy between either reducing or increasing their comission, but ultimately the price you pay is the underwriter price + a percentage.

Absolutely correct. All these "companies" advertised are just acting as brokers for a few big name underwriters. I always shop around every year to get the best deal.

Skoda Insurance is underwritten by Allianz - I'm currently with them and, having driven nothing but fleet-provided cars for a number of years, am not looking forward to the annual insurance negotiations.

I have experienced this every time over the last 3 or 4 years on virtually all my insurance not just the car, they offer to reduce it only if I reduce my cover and/or up my excess. Daft when like for like insurance saves me 1/3 after talking to the Meercats or the singing fat bloke. My insurance company changes every year. Oddly I am with Skoda insurance this year as the overall package was hard to beat.

Like you - have to change each year although I don't always pick the absolute cheapest but the one that seems to offer best balance between cover and premium. I am with John Lewis this year because they offered good cover and £20 worth of vouchers so brought the net premium down to amongst the cheapest.

just renewed after a quote of 500+ now with rias, using the as was fortis co came in at 260, p**sed off with the process of serching etc so just went with rias, their quote seemed acceptable, the cover was more than saga were offering, my old co!

Have had a couple of quotes from Skoda insurance after using their free policy when collecting new cars ...they always come up with very expensive quotes for me, probably £100/150 more than my usual insurer (The Caravan Club).

I came to the conclusion a few years ago that whilst I might be able to save a few quid, no-one else provided the service that Frizzell-LV did, or could manage to provide exactly the same cover, so I stick with them.

Skoda 7 day drive away cover is currently handled by Swinton (who have very badly spoken people to take the details) the insurance is underwritten by Covea, their cover notes have a fancy watermark with the insured persons name and reg number of the car.

Quite natty really.

But you have to watch the excesses and they only allow the owner of the vehicle to drive.

With my Scooby, with even minor mods on it, I've been pretty much limited to Adrian Flux for insurance, but for my daily runner which is standard, I always use the comparison sites (Meercat, Money Supermarket, Go Compare etc) as they always save me about £100 on whatever the existing insurer comes up with for a renewal quote.

Seems to be worth the hour or so spent filling out the online forms on these websites.

I did laugh some years ago when insuring my Subaru (before modding it) and one insurer's website asked for the best quote I'd had so far, which was about £800. Went through all their questions and at the end the site presented me with a quote of £2300 and asked if I'd like to proceed. :rofl:

I used skoda for the first year as their new for old policy for a write off in the first year of ownership means my 4 year GAP insurance policy is deferred for a year giving me 5 years of overall protection. Had a bad allianz experience in the past where they round off your no claims which means it currently stands at 9 years when it should be about 15. Will make sure this does not happen again if I decide to move at renewal.

I wished I'd known Skoda had an insurance deal. eSure came to £300 this year which is pretty good for central London, so I doubt they would have been that different, but I'll find out next year, worth a go.

I was talking about the costs of the Yeti to a friend who was amazed it was so cheap compared to his 8 yr old Honda CRV. Over the first 3 years it's cost less than £1500 per year for insurance, servicing and MOT (which is strictly in the 4th year, plus I got a £150 of accessories included in a 2yr service deal so I kind of got got a free roof rack). RAC renewal to full recovery / rescue was very good too, £145 for 2 years, the whole deal, home start etc and inc Euro trips.

Fuel and tax, that's another story, any ideas of how to save there would be appreciated.