How can I tell categorically that my aircon is working (considering it's winter!)

grecianite

Hi,

For around 4 years not my aircon on my vRS has not been working. I got a dealership to diagnose (at £70) and they said it was the compressor. I bought a compressor on Ebay for £40 and had it fitted on Friday. WIth the gas recharge, fitting etc it came to £180.

According to them it's working, but how can I check? I switch it on and I get cold air anyway, one thing I did notice was that the revs did not change when the aircon was switched on, before i am pretty sure they picked slightly - maybe this is a winter thing, or an efficient compressor?

I was wondering what you guys would do to check that they have fixed? I have factored in that the replacement compressor might be dodgy.

Thanks,

John

Sit in the car with the engine and blowers off, breathe until it steams up, then see if it clears quickly using cool air rather than hot. Since cool air will still be pretty moist from the outside, if it clears in a reasonable time (i.e. a minute or two) then your AC must be working in order to remove the moisture that's present in the air.

Shouln't the rad fans kick in too? It's a common fault on the Golf mk4 that the resistor fails for the rad fans so the AC doesn't work (or something liek that).

I know the fans on my Fabia never kicked in, and my AC was broken. . .

Make sure the outside temperature isn't that cold. The Air-con doesn't operate below 3 or 4° C.

That's a good point, it's not dropped to that point yet near me so I'd forgotten. It is true though, operating the AC when its too cold can cause freezing in undesirable places (i.e. inside the AC system) so it switches off automatically for safety.

Shouln't the rad fans kick in too? It's a common fault on the Golf mk4 that the resistor fails for the rad fans so the AC doesn't work (or something liek that).

I know the fans on my Fabia never kicked in, and my AC was broken. . .

Not sure about fabia, but that defiantly happened with my old rover 75 diesel... Fans came on when AC operated.

I've never noticed the revs change on mine when you put the AC on - I presumed it was just because the PD engine is so torquey it doesn't really make any difference...

Not "any" lower - the 'bing' only occurs over a 10 degC temperature range:

The outside temperature indicator will appear with a snowflake symbol and a

warning signal sounds* when the outside temperature lies between +5°C and -5°C.

I find the definitive way of checking if an AC compressor is working, is one pipe coming off it will be warm and the other ice cold with condensation dripping off of it.

• Like 1

You can often buy thermometers from places liek pound shops in the garden section, or garden centres. Then you can measure it exactly.

Checking the compressor pipe sounds like a good idea too but only if you can get at it!