comedy moment at the dealers

Grantson

Earlier this afternoon i went down to the jet wash and gave the car a wash, One of the rear mud flaps came off when i was blasting unter the back bumper.

When I was done i went to look ans see how to reattach it. I noticed the 3 bolts that should be holding it on were nowhere to be seen so i swung past the dealers on the way home.

Salesman: (wearing an it quarter to 5 what do you want expression) Hi how can I help you?

Me: Well bit of a strange one but i was washing the car one of the mudflaps came off & I noticed that the bolts that should hold it on are missing...

Salesman: So how can i help you?

Me: erm I would like the bolts please.

Salesman: Oh right ehh.. Call back on monday and speak to the parts guy...

:wonder:

Most parts departments close early on a saturday; sales guys probably wouldnt have a clue or give much of a monkeys about some mudflap bolts; its not commission on a car sale :-)

Turning up at the dealers at quarter to five on a Sat expecting the sales guy (who couldn't give a dump) to magically produce some mudflap bolts is quite funny. I suspect it gave the sales guy a laugh on his way home..... ;-)

• Like 2

What exactly were you expecting.

And as partsman my self i wouldnt want a salesman or any other person with in our stores we are held responsible formstock being correct so We hate anyone being in there that shouldnt.

While i thought that it was a long shot at that point on a Saturday it was more the having to ask for parts twice for it to sink in & the sales guy to give me the parts dept's number.

Mind you local VW garage had someone there that could look up ETKA and find parts bins there when the garage was open unless it was a sunday

What's missing in all this, and what nobody here seems particularly concerned about is, that the owner does not appear to have received any expression of sympathy or concern. It's called empathy, putting yourself in the other person's shoes and showing that you understand and share the distress of the customer (or anyone else for that matter). The person receiving the complaint should ask themslves 'How would I feel if this had happened to me, and what sort of response would I expect?'. Empathy is a fundamental skill for everyone involved with customer service, and indeed for anyone aspiring to be a decent human being.

Sadly it seems to be an emotional skill which is beyond the repetoire of many in our society, so that it is a common occurence that complaints are not met with a response that takes ownership of the problem and demonstrates regret. The response we should receive is along the lines of: 'I'm sorry to hear that you've had a problem'. 'I'm sorry, we appear to have made a error'). The missing 'sorry' response is often followed by the 'fob off' (not my department, not our problem). Organisations (and countries) where lack of empathy is a problem tend not to prosper.

Even the best organisations make mistakes and the skill is to manage them well and learn from them. The clever organisation/country recognises the value of the complaint. It is an opportunity to demonstrate that you are a caring and efficient organisation seeking to delight the customer and earn their continuing loyalty. It is also a check on the current effectiveness of your organisation's systems and procedures.

Clever organisations recruit people with emotional intelligence and assist them to develop excellent customer service skills. These organisations learn from their mistakes and review and change their procedures to avoid any recurrence. Fortunately more and more British organisations are realising the benefit of such an approach, and as customers we should seek them out. When we complain and receive an unempathetic response we should complain up the line and suggest that this is not a very clever way to run a business. If nothing changes we should take our business elsewhere. Accepting poor customer service only encourages it's continuance.

LOL....I think you need to get out more....LOL

It's really sad to see that, when one individual here takes some of their precious time to write a lengthy post to educate us all about customer service, all they get in return is they get mocked by a select few... Nice!