Active Bonnet

How does this provide protection unless it has an airbag?

NCAP says extra clearance between bonnet and hard areas in engine bay. Eh, the bonnet already is hard, and if you fall onto the bonnet, you arent going to fall into the engine bay.

I can only see it protecting pedestrians if it also deploys an airbag and protects the pedestrians head from hitting the windscreen.

It increases the gap between the bonnet and the engine underneath, so there is more room for it to flex when you run someone over. The bonnet is, relatively, not that solid.

• Like 1

How does this provide protection unless it has an airbag?

NCAP says extra clearance between bonnet and hard areas in engine bay. Eh, the bonnet already is hard, and if you fall onto the bonnet, you arent going to fall into the engine bay.

I can only see it protecting pedestrians if it also deploys an airbag and protects the pedestrians head from hitting the windscreen.

Compared to the solid casting of a cylinder head or manifold a bonnet is like a fluffy pillow, I know which i'd rather hit me head on.

It increases the gap between the bonnet and the engine underneath, so there is more room for it to flex when you run someone over. The bonnet is, relatively, not that solid.

OK fair point. My lack of knowledge at getting run over is showing now. Maybe go on a training course sometime :rofl:

• Cheeky 1

Some mother in laws arn't that bad, I used to play golf with a guy who swore his mother in law was better in bed than her daughter, try not to think about it too much, it'll make you cring.

Regards

T

My mother in law was a sweetie, used to help out with anything at the drop of a hat, unfortunately she's now up in the clouds, cut down by the dreaded big C in her early sixties, my wife's mother in law on the other hand is still going strong well into her mid seventies but likes to be treated like the queen bee, much to SWMBOs annoyance most of the time! :rofl:

My mother in law was a sweetie, used to help out with anything at the drop of a hat, unfortunately she's now up in the clouds, cut down by the dreaded big C in her early sixties, my wife's mother in law on the other hand is still going strong well into her mid seventies but likes to be treated like the queen bee, much to SWMBOs annoyance most of the time! :rofl:

Without meaning to say anything bad about your mother, its always the good ones that go first.

Sorry to hear about your mother in law. Hoping she didnt suffer too much.

• Like 1

Build week 17 which I think was w/c 29th April.

Did yours get built with front assist? Mine did, so assume yours did as well. Will check when i get back down to my parents in 10mins. Thats where its parked for now!!

Here's what it does, the ball is supposed to simulate a head after a person has been struck by the front of the car and thrown on to the bonnet:

Wow. I honestly didnt realise the bonnet was that flimsy. Suppose it saves money making it out of cardboard :rofl:

Did yours get built with front assist? Mine did, so assume yours did as well. Will check when i get back down to my parents in 10mins. Thats where its parked for now!!

No, when I ordered, they were quoting post-June builds for front assist, and I think it was a few weeks later than that before they actually did produce any with front assist, sounds like you were one of the lucky ones who did get it. At least I did get my chrome window mouldings, not many hatches with them in the UK!

• Like 1

Just checked, and mine doesnt have the active bonnet. Thankfully.

Looking at a couple of items inside the bonnet, they both have manufacturing dates of early Oct. So assume my car was built mid to late Oct. Must have been one of the last with front assist. So I assume sometime over the summer they stopped incorporating Active Bonnets.

• Like 1

Just checked, and mine doesnt have the active bonnet. Thankfully.

Looking at a couple of items inside the bonnet, they both have manufacturing dates of early Oct. So assume my car was built mid to late Oct. Must have been one of the last with front assist. So I assume sometime over the summer they stopped incorporating Active Bonnets.

I suspect they realised the cost of the parts for front assist were more than they wanted to pay, hence omitted the active bonnet to save some cash as the NCAP score is not affected! Interestingly, in the Jan 14 brochure, they still show pics of the front assist on the cover and page 15 but the text describing it has been deleted and also removed from options list along with ACC! So they have saved the cost of both systems from the Elegance spec and increased the list prices, winner! Edited by Matt Pez
  • Like 1

Yes that is a lot they have scrapped. Front assist and active bonnet. That should have leant to a reduction in prices. They are probably just relying on people less in the know, not realising things have been deleted from spec, but with prices remaining unchanged, then going up at end of year.

• Like 1

Mine was built in May (wk 19 or 20) and no active bonnet.

So looks like builds from early May onwards don't get it.

Seems I'm one of the lucky ones (or not) to get it! I think my car was one of the last MY13 builds, cos I also noticed that very soon after, about when the FL Superb II's started production, the Octy III steering wheels also started to get the piano black trim, same as the FL Superbs, whereas mine has the matt grey plastic around the audio controls and around the centre badge.

No, when I ordered, they were quoting post-June builds for front assist, and I think it was a few weeks later than that before they actually did produce any with front assist, sounds like you were one of the lucky ones who did get it. At least I did get my chrome window mouldings, not many hatches with them in the UK!

Look on the bright side, if the bonnet all goes wrong and wonky you can distract them with the bling chrome window mouldings ;)

• Like 2

Seems I'm one of the lucky ones (or not) to get it!

Depends if you like having a huge bill for a minor prang. The threshold for activation is much lower than for airbags, as you can see in the video.

I believe only Mercedes have a resettable system, all the others I know of are single shot and replacement is very expensive.

At least I know what to look for so I don't have it on a used one, now.

• Like 1

Depends if you like having a huge bill for a minor prang. The threshold for activation is much lower than for airbags, as you can see in the video.

I believe only Mercedes have a resettable system, all the others I know of are single shot and replacement is very expensive.

At least I know what to look for so I don't have it on a used one, now.

At least if it goes off, insurance company could choose to replace with non-active bonnet and it will be no worse than later build cars!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ahh I missed this thread earlier in the year. Now I want to check if mine has active protection thingy or not lol

I think from the pics you posted of your strut mod, I am 99% certain you are not active!

Seems I'm one of the lucky ones (or not) to get it! I think my car was one of the last MY13 builds, cos I also noticed that very soon after, about when the FL Superb II's started production, the Octy III steering wheels also started to get the piano black trim, same as the FL Superbs, whereas mine has the matt grey plastic around the audio controls and around the centre badge.

Same here. Anyone looked in to the piano black trim for the steering wheel and if it is easy to change? Having seen it on a few newer ones, it does look better than the matt grey. Are any other trims upgraded to piano black as well?

• Like 1