Moped Cars for 16 year olds in the UK.

Ootohere

See them all the time in Europe, they are very slow and very noisy. Just think of all that extra weight the tiny engine has to lug around. You only need a moped license to drive them in europe as well, which would be the same as here.

so, they're limited to 28mph, and can be driven by a 16 year old on a moped ticket? It's still a car, and the kids will NOT have had any experience of driving. This should make for fun when they get to a roundabout, or a box junction or some other hazard which they will be ill equipped to deal with. Terrible idea.

I think it's a good idea, they already drive quads and mopeds and this will be a safer alternative than either for both the 16 year old driver and other road users plus it'll equip them better to pass their propper drivers licence.

I can really see alot of 16 year olds with 6200 quid to spend on one of those

Suppose they will be safer than a bike altho having spent a year and half on a bike in my younger days i dont consider 28mph fast enough especially in 60 limits with hgvs passing you at 56mph

where i live all roads are 60mph, and very few dual carriageways, so they will be able to go for miles - clogging up the fecking roads worse than tractors do, every bluddy corner you go around there will be a spotty greasy haired tit, barely awake, probably high, holding me up!!!!!!

At least its easy to get around a scooter doing 28. I hope insurance companies make it inhibitively expensive, cos i know what i was like at 16, i was a walking erect penis with no sense and no concern for consequences.

Itll all end in tears, just hope no one gets killed or mamed in the mean time. You can bet if it does 28 thats all itll do 28 on the straights 28 round corners, 28 at roundabouts. They aint gonna lift off are they?

Edited by Lofty79

I think it's a good idea, they already drive quads and mopeds and this will be a safer alternative than either for both the 16 year old driver and other road users plus it'll equip them better to pass their propper drivers licence.

Knowing how the vast majority of youths drive quads/mopeds regardless of the dangers, I dread to think what it'll be like when they are belted into a comfy seat with a metal shell protecting them.

Got overtaken by a moped with L plates while doing 40 this evening, not exactly a rare occurance round here either. wonder how many would stay limited to 28mph.

Just get a tractor. You can drive that at 16, it'll probably be faster and you can tow your mates round in a bogey.

Snow won't be a problem in winter either.

• Like 3

Just get a tractor. You can drive that at 16, it'll probably be faster and you can tow your mates round in a bogey.

Snow won't be a problem in winter either.

Spoken like a true loon - haven't heard "bogey" used in this context for years.

When I was 16 I wouldn't have been seen dead in one of those.

Come to think about it I still wouldn't be seen dead in one of those.

Seriously tho this is a recipe for disaster. A 16 year old driving one of those like it is the fastest thing in the world, like they do with their mopeds, is a scary thought.

Terrible idea. These have been in traffic for the last twenty years over here and I've got two words for ya'. Death trap.

If the crash doesn't kill ya, and it will, because the roof has the consistency of wet crackers and will bend into a V shape that cracks your skull open, then the guy behind you that tolerated your epicly slow speed for the last hour will beat you to death.

• Like 1