Octavia vRS

I don't think anyone was offended and half of it is tongue in cheek anyway. :giggle:

However 0-60 still gives a good idea of performance. Above 8 seconds is pretty average these days, the province of diesels and rep mobiles. 6-7 seconds is fast hot hatch territory. 5-6 seconds and you start getting into some pretty quick cars. Sub 5 you start getting to M3's and sports cars.

Plus in gear times are just for the lazy, dropping a cog and flooring it works just as well and is much more fun. :rofl:

Pretty relevant when you are looking at a "performance" car. Though the vRS is more of a all round warm car than a hot performance one, obligatory imo. ;)

Not so sure about that anymore...

Owners manual...

http://ws.skoda-auto... ... Manual.pdf

TSI (page 267)

0-100: 6,8 - 7,1; max V: 242 - 248 ... depends on body type(limo/estate) and transmission (DSG/manual)

TDI (page 269)

0-100: 8,1 - 8,3; max V: 228 - 232 ... depends on body type(limo/estate) and transmission (DSG/manual)

Golf: GTI(6,5)/GTD(7,5).

I don't know about you guys, but i'm disappointed.

What's the difference in kerb weights between the Golf GTI/GTD and Octavia VRS TSI/TDI ?

EH????

1.2 feels no where near as grunty as a 170bhp diesel. Are u mad???

Golf GTD overtaking me on the highway....eh, wtf u on about?? I assume you are referring to racing on a public highway.

Outwith the boy racer world you live in i dare say the golf GTD is barley any faster than my VRS. In fact ill guarantee it as ive owned both. The perceptable difference in acceleration is so slight as to be totally not noticeable. When one car feels grunty enough one that is gruntier is merely overkill.

If a car can do 0-60 in 7.5 on paper was driven back to back with one only capable of 0-60 in 8.1 then you would barely feel a difference. Whether one car beat the other in one of your street races would be down to which driver got the better start and who was fatter.

I could easily pass an RS4 on the highway but that does not make mine faster. Just means i want to go faster than him.

0-60mph only matter if you like doing track events like quarter mile drag etc but id wager these people are in the minority by a massive margin. Nothing wrong with this hobby but it is totally irrelevant in terms of real world driving. Plus if i liked sprints i would not own a FWD skoda.

Look at the new mazda 6. The skoda beat it to 60mph but the mazda was miles quicker in every in gear acceleration test. This means its engine is more flexible and makes for a far better every day drive and id wager actually feels faster all the time.

1.2 LOL. Get a grip. Id have one in a heartbeat as they are great engines i believe but if you honestly think a 1.2 is a viable comparison to a diesel VRS you are daft.

It's a shame they don't do a Mazda 6 hatchback, it's a bigger car than the Octy 3 though, similar in size to a Mondeo. The new Mazda 3 should be out to soon but will probably still be short of space like the current one is.

What's the difference in kerb weights between the Golf GTI/GTD and Octavia VRS TSI/TDI ?

Golf mk7 GTD has 1377kg (3 036pounds) site:www.carfolio.com

I can't find that spec for vrs mk3.

The only weight for both cars that i've found is maximum authorised weight.

vrs mk3 1.937 kg (4 270 pounds)

gtd mk7 1.860 kg (4 101 pounds)

that might be the reason.

Edited by giggs

I don't think anyone was offended and half of it is tongue in cheek anyway. :giggle:

However 0-60 still gives a good idea of performance. Above 8 seconds is pretty average these days, the province of diesels and rep mobiles. 6-7 seconds is fast hot hatch territory. 5-6 seconds and you start getting into some pretty quick cars. Sub 5 you start getting to M3's and sports cars.

Plus in gear times are just for the lazy, dropping a cog and flooring it works just as well and is much more fun. :rofl:

Pretty relevant when you are looking at a "performance" car. Though the vRS is more of a all round warm car than a hot performance one, obligatory imo. ;)

Sounds about right. Revving the t---s of a car is fun ill admit but i have always been a lazy torque man myself. Even with my bikes. I always preferred my big v twins tripples or eveh my singles. Just personel prefrence i suppose. Guess i want the best of both worlds but its cheaper to enjoy the lazy torque. Given the choice id have a petrol car but circumstsnces have probably forced my opinions somewhat.

The Octavia 3 is no doubt a bit heavier than the Golf 7 as its quite a bit bigger overall. Its a few splits slower and hardly a difference; VAG also tend to under-estimate the real performance stats for their vehicles; its proven a DSG equipped MK2 Octavia vRS CR hatch when using launch control can do a sub 7 sec 0-60; my old Fabia vRS could easily do a sub 7 0-60 and officially its 0-62 was 7.3

The Octavia 3 is no doubt a bit heavier than the Golf 7 as its quite a bit bigger overall. Its a few splits slower and hardly a difference; VAG also tend to under-estimate the real performance stats for their vehicles; its proven a DSG equipped MK2 Octavia vRS CR hatch when using launch control can do a sub 7 sec 0-60; my old Fabia vRS could easily do a sub 7 0-60 and officially its 0-62 was 7.3

My old golf GTD had an official 0-62 of 8.3 against my VRS which is 8.5 so i would guess the new versions will be similarly close. Someone else posted a 0.6 secs differnce but i doubt it would be that much.

Even if it is the standard 150bhp diesel hits 60 in around 8.5 but has considerably less torque than the new vrs 236 vs 280 ( or something ) so i know which car will be substantially faster in real terms.

Sounds about right. Revving the t---s of a car is fun ill admit but i have always been a lazy torque man myself. Even with my bikes. I always preferred my big v twins tripples or eveh my singles. Just personel prefrence i suppose. Guess i want the best of both worlds but its cheaper to enjoy the lazy torque. Given the choice id have a petrol car but circumstsnces have probably forced my opinions somewhat.

Its funny isnt it, both powerful turbo petrol and turbo diesel engines have their definite merits. Having come from a lithe revvy 180ps twincharger to a 170ps diesel slogger its actually difficult for me to say which i prefer.

The Fabia was bloody quick when you rang its neck but despite all its artificial boosting it did not pull all that well in certain gears at certain speeds; almost like there were holes in its power delivery.

He diesel is lazier and runs out if puff a bit sooner but under most real world situations it feels more muscular and certainly at faster speeds it pulls v hard with only the need to chop down 1 gear, often just staying in 6th which makes it a much more relaxing long distance companion; if perhaps ultimately not quite as fun.

Given the diesel is alot more frugal it actually probably wins out for me.....whether it would be enough for me to buy a 184ps TDi vRS over the 220ps TSi remains to be seen.....

Golf mk7 GTD has 1377kg (3 036pounds) site:www.carfolio.com

I can't find that spec for vrs mk3.

The only weight for both cars that i've found is maximum authorised weight.

vrs mk3 1.937 kg (4 270 pounds)

gtd mk7 1.860 kg (4 101 pounds)

that might be the reason.

If you compare the Golf and the Octavia both with the 150hp diesel engine, the unladen weights are:

Golf - 1354kg

Octavia 3 - 1330kg

But the Octy has the torsion beam rear suspension, whereas the Golf has the Multi-link.

The Gross Weights are:

Golf - 1860kg

Octavia 3 - 1880kg

In a Whatcar group test all performance times between the 2 were within a few tenths of each other. The Octavia was quicker in a few, including 0-60mph.

I can't find any kerb/unladen weights for the Octy 3 VRS.

Edited by Ultima

If you compare the Golf and the Octavia both with the 150hp diesel engine, the unladen weights are:

Golf - 1354kg

Octavia 3 - 1330kg

But the Octy has the torsion beam rear suspension, whereas the Golf has the Multi-link.

The Gross Weights are:

Golf - 1860kg

Octavia 3 - 1880kg

In a Whatcar group test all performance times between the 2 were within a few tenths of each other. The Octavia was quicker in a few, including 0-60mph.

I can't find any kerb/unladen weights for the Octy 3 VRS.

Not sure if the Golf and Octy 2.0 Tdi 150's share the same gear ratios but I know Autocar complained that the Golf had stupidly long gearing and it hampered its real world performance. It could do 90 in 3rd, 130 in 4th top speed in 5th and about 130 in 6th which seems a bit steep for a diesel.

My old Mk6 2.0 TDi 140 manual had long gearing, my 170 DSG Octavia definitely has a shorter 4th 5th and 6th gear.

Just wondering whether the new Octy is similarly inflicted?

..and you can guarantee the Audi will be better again.

Conspiracy? Nah...

None of the Audi's seem to use the 184hp diesel engine, they have an older 177hp version. The A3's most powerful diesel engine is the 150hp version according to their site.

None of the Audi's seem to use the 184hp diesel engine, they have an older 177hp version. The A3's most powerful diesel engine is the 150hp version according to their site.

I mean in terms of performance and CO2 - the same engine (like for like) in whichever Audi version it is will be listed with better performance and a lower CO2 figure than its VAG stablemates. Likewise the VW version will be "worse" than the Audi, but better than the Seat/Skoda version..

Audi will use the 184ps diesel, but it was specifically designed for the mqb platform, i.e. mounted with the exhaust facing rear. So you will probably only see it in the A3 for a while. As with all the other mqb platform cars, the 184ps is only just coming through.

I don't know if this has been posted but the new octavia looks stunning unless its a fakepost-11403-0-88694000-1369600580_thumb.jpg

It's fake. There are images of the new vrs on page 2 of this topic :-)

Any emission figures for the vRS?

TDI:

(CO2): 119g/km

(NOx): 0,135g/km

TSI:

(CO2): 142g/km

(NOx): 0,043g/km

Edited by giggs

RS wheel options (standard "DORADO" 17" 225/45 R17):

- "GEMINI" 18" 7,5Jx18" antracitna s pnevmatikami 225/40 R18 - EUR 284,59

- "GEMINI" 18" 7,5Jx18" s pnevmatikami 225/40 R18 - EUR 171,28

- "PICTORIS" 18" 7,5Jx18" s pnevmatikami 225/40 R18 - EUR 171,28

Just guessing...

"GEMINI"?

http://static.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/autoexpressuk/files/styles/gallery/public/skoda-octavia-vrs-profile.jpg

"PICTORIS"?

http://fotos.autozeitung.de/462x347/images/bildergalerie/2013/04/Skoda-Octavia-RS-2013-Erlkoenig-Nuerburgring-03.jpg

http://fotos.autozeitung.de/462x347/images/bildergalerie/2013/04/Skoda-Octavia-RS-2013-Erlkoenig-Nuerburgring-02.jpg

Going to be interesting whether SUK muller the UK spec. A 2.0 TSi manual estate with Amundsen/Columbus, Canton and anthracite 18's would probably be my ideal car, given its more or less Elwganxe spec + Bixenons - nav over there.