Fast car for

Gizmo

Silvia s15, 350z, s2000, skyline, rx8, rx7, altezza rs200, mistibushi 3000gt, integra type r, accord type r, pulsar gtir, mps 3 or 6, lexus/toyota soarer (old sc430)

These are the kinda things im looking at getting next....all loud and jap though an judging from your potenail list not the kinda thing you want

Vauxhall VX220 Turbo - only just at 7k, very few toys, AC and leather, but WOOOOHOOOOO They are QUICK!

Should be able to pick up at a good price at this time of year...

.... or could always consider a change to two wheels if it's for a toy; No car can touch a half-decent bike for acceleration and thrill.... our VFR is quoted 0-60 in 2.77 seconds, and that's a sports-tourer!

Al.

ps. How about a Nissan Skyline...? Or a Mitsubishi Evo...?

Edited by ukcruiser

He has had a few bikes before but really wants 4 wheels so it can be fun and practical when needed.

Jap cars have been ruled out as although they are quick he wants a bit of (german etc) build quality + the toys, hence the thoughts of a 3ltr + motor that is quick and doesn’t have to be pushed to the limit to get decent performance.

Vauxhall’s would not get a look in due to… well being a Vauxhall

Same for Volvo’s, he is "too young for a bloody Volvo” (his words)

2 seater sports cars don’t really fit with his need for a child booster seat in the rear so as much as he likes the Z4’s etc he probably wouldn’t look at one.

The XK got a huugh YES from his Mrs as she loves them anyway… he is not so sure…yet, he is giving that one a bit of thought.

Keep the ideas coming, there have been a couple of interesting curve balls so far.

Vectra VXR for the value for money and pace...or Zafira VXR for the same AND space!

I've had 3 vauxhalls sri vectras , 54,56 and now an 08 plate and I've had no bother at all.

54 and 56 plates both did in excess of 100,000 miles as well.

So with the saving on purchase you can afford any little blips!

If you buy an M5 or whatever, you wouldn't have the cash you've saved on purchase to address any issues.

Simply because he want as much interior quality as he does power, Jap cars may well give you latter in abundance but the interior plastics etc are a long way behind a German car.

He has had a few bikes before but really wants 4 wheels so it can be fun and practical when needed.

Jap cars have been ruled out as although they are quick he wants a bit of (german etc) build quality + the toys, hence the thoughts of a 3ltr + motor that is quick and doesn’t have to be pushed to the limit to get decent performance.

Vauxhall’s would not get a look in due to… well being a Vauxhall

Same for Volvo’s, he is "too young for a bloody Volvo” (his words)

2 seater sports cars don’t really fit with his need for a child booster seat in the rear so as much as he likes the Z4’s etc he probably wouldn’t look at one.

The XK got a huugh YES from his Mrs as she loves them anyway… he is not so sure…yet, he is giving that one a bit of thought.

Keep the ideas coming, there have been a couple of interesting curve balls so far.

How old is he? I'm 26 (25 when I got it) and the old man jokes stop when I explain the credentials. Perfect for my family and ticks the other boxes you'd expect.

If he really is too young I'd say RS6 Avant.

Oh and the build quality on R's are exceptional, I've got a brand new qashqai and its nothing compared to the V70.

Edited by JohnRS

He is 32, been through the whole Volvo image with him before and he is not buying into it… yet.

Funny enough he would have no issues with a Superb estate (not what I would call a fast car mind) and if he is going to spend £16K+ then he would get one of them (ideally a 3.6, but he would be happy with the 170CR :think: )…. I know, makes no sense, but there you go.

Stats aren't the whole story, as we all know. It's the way they drive that's as important.

Which puts them poles apart.

MPG has been effectively ruled out of the purchasing logic, due to small annual mileage. Servicing and component replacement budget would be required for any choice.

Summert from the mercedes stable would surely tick all boxes and more. Theres plenty with AMG kit for less than 7g. Even the ultra rare blackline edition popped up on ebay last week. Supercar scarer!

Trouble is that at that price point, he is going to be suffering from the problem that for that money you can have fast, or high quality trim, or reliability, but two or three out of three is asking for a miracle.

Chris

• Like 1

When I was looking into buying a Mondeo ST220 I found a top gear review of it, pitted against the vectra vxr. The vxr was poor due to its understeer. I understand that your not going to hoon it about like top gear, but I'd deffo choose an M5 over it.

I had a vectra 1.9cdti sri on an 06 plate for a year. It was so unreliable that it went and was replaced by a Volvo S60. The S60 had fantastic seats, a fantastic 2.0t engine and was pretty well kitted out. Im 26 now and would consider the S60R if I was looking to spend that sorta cash. Its not just another Volvo. It has active suspension, a glorious engine, fantastic seats and loads of kit and the quality is superb.

If not then probably the M5 or Audis...but mileage, costs etc will be much much higher...

MK1 Fabia 2.0. Quick as anything already mentioned and should be cheap enough to retrofit leather with the change.

:dull:

I have yet to see any production Škoda that meets his requirements…. maybe a 3.6 Superb would come close? but I doubt it will be seriously fast??

Not sure he would entertain a Ford (he was adamant “not a Mundano”) but I will pass on a few links for the Focus ST.

:dull:

I have yet to see any production Škoda that meets his requirements…. maybe a 3.6 Superb would come close? but I doubt it will be seriously fast??

Hannibal was making reference to former member Mil and his 2.0 fabia which routinely demolished any and all super car challengers "like a king."

Maybe you've not been around long enough to remember.

back on topic...

Jaguar S Type 2.7D V6s around 2005, with 85K on the clock can be had for circa 5k.....remember, this is a car that Sabine took round the 'Ring in under 10mins...

Ah yes it rings a bell now (don’t venture into the Fabia section much)

Funny you should mention the S type as he actually likes them (more than the XK even :think: :no: ) although diesel is not really suited to his driving style though (currently on his 3rd one though) as he likes to rev the engine a bit more than is required from a diesel.