Sign in to follow this  
lammar

Octavia 06 - Rear wiper stopped working

Hi,

I was driving my car yesterday and my rear wiper stopped working. It stopped suddenly in the middle of the rear window. I had to turn off the ignition and move it manually to its initial position. It doesn't rotate but the washer fluid still goes through.

Can anyone have had similar problem? Is it the motor or something else?

Thanks,

Marcin

Classic symptoms of wiper motor failure. Very common problem on the octavia. The washer fluid still sprays as the washer pipe connects to a hollow tube which goes through the wiper spindle.

Mike

When mine stopped working it was a relay, but it controlled the front washers as well from memory. The relay was on the CECM behind the dash next to the fuse box.

I ended up resolving this one by opening the motor up and packing it with more grease. Been working ever since.

• Like 1

I've had this on and off for about 3 years. Stops for a while and then works fine again for months.

It only ever occurs when it's cold and really wet, so inevitably it's stopped now!

On my old Subaru Forester it was down to muck getting into the housing around the wiper spindle and in essence forming a thick paste. In the end I took the wiper motor out and cut the housing off (as it was surplus to operational requirements) - that was a Subaru Dealer's tip.

Working on the same principle, and having just read in the manual that there's a rubber grommet on the rear screen through which the wiper spindle passes, I reckon that my problem is a combination of dirt, wet weather and cold. The grommet gets full of muck, and maybe becomes less flexible with the wet/cold? Friction increases and hence the wiper stops working until those conditions pass. A good clean followed by loads of Copaslip I reckon, although I'm in no rush to take the wiper motor out in this weather!

A WINTER plague?

The rain, snow, salt, washer fluid etc all gets into the spindle and it seizes. It can blow the fuse.

I have fixed this by stripping and cleaning.

For starters try removing the arm and spraying WD40 or similar down the shaft. Put the arm back on and try to jiggle it to get the oil down the shaft.

Check the fuse and give it a try.

Failing that before you get a new one, take it off and try to clean & lube it on the bench.

Well my 5K miles Blackline appears to have become a victim of this rear wipe plague, been operating by it's self since we had lot of rain last few days and now has died.

My Greenline Estate has also become a victim of this, I only took delivery on 06/12/12, apparently there are a lot of failures happening atm, new motors are on backorder and no-one know when this will be rectified.

I've had this on and off for about 3 years. Stops for a while and then works fine again for months.

It only ever occurs when it's cold and really wet, so inevitably it's stopped now!

On my old Subaru Forester it was down to muck getting into the housing around the wiper spindle and in essence forming a thick paste. In the end I took the wiper motor out and cut the housing off (as it was surplus to operational requirements) - that was a Subaru Dealer's tip.

Working on the same principle, and having just read in the manual that there's a rubber grommet on the rear screen through which the wiper spindle passes, I reckon that my problem is a combination of dirt, wet weather and cold. The grommet gets full of muck, and maybe becomes less flexible with the wet/cold? Friction increases and hence the wiper stops working until those conditions pass. A good clean followed by loads of Copaslip I reckon, although I'm in no rush to take the wiper motor out in this weather!

That's exactly what I want to do!!

Mine stopped in the 12 o'clock position but now works ok but sometimes looks to be going more slowly than usual.

See my thread nearby called Rear Wiper Motor Cover. How do get at the little b*gger !!?

(So far I've put a little WD40 around the spindle)

Edited by ednmra