Any driving instructors using a Citigo?

MilgeS

Hi,

just wondering if anyone is using one as a tuition vehicle, if so, what vehicle have you changed from, fuel type, size etc, any pro's/cons over your previous vehicle? What do your pupils think of it, have any of them been with you during the change of vehicle?

I use a 75ps Monte Carlo at present to teach in, great car for tuition, all round visibility is good, driving position, height adjustable seats for both driver and passenger, economic . . . .

I'd love to hear how you find the Citigo as I'm still deliberating whether to go for a new Monte or the Citigo.

Kind regards

Dave

As ive only been driving for just over a year and considering i learnt to drive in a Mk2 1.2 HTP Fabia, I'd say the CitiGo would be a pretty good car for learners.

It has very large doors so the side visibility is good (I always found the 'B' Pillar would get in my way with my Mk1 Fabia, in the Citigo its quite far back), however i personally do find it a bit more difficult to check my rear off-side blind spot. But i think that's due to my height/driving position.

I always get these confused but it has Rake adjustment (up and down/angle) but not reach (forward or backwards) adjustment for the steering wheel but the seat does have height adjustment etc just as any other seat so you can compensate for the lack of reach adjustment.

Under the bonnet everything is simply laid out so i couldn't see that being an issue (On my test i was asked where each fluid went :D)

I also feel for its size (atleast compared to a 2002 Seat Arosa) it has very large Wing mirrors.

Parking it is very easy too! the near vertical rear/boot makes it easy to judge distances to the back of the car etc.

Although the CitiGo has the option of new safety features I think that the 'City Safe Pack', Parking sensors and Stop/Start are not advisable for a learner. As the parking sensors aren't needed, and the stop start scared the **** out of me the first time it activated, i dread to think what it would do to a learner. lol

One thing im not sure of is on my test i was also asked how i would adjust my head rest appropriately etc, which you cant do on the citigo as it has the head rest merged with the rest of the back of the seat.

I guess from an instructors point of view its also fairly cheap to maintain depending on the engine/spec it will be either £0 or £20 a year road tax. As its generally agreed theres not much difference between the 60 & 75 PS engines i think the 60PS would be better for a learner too.

Thats my 2 pence :D

• Like 2

As u know Dave, I'm a part timer, and use my vRS for auto tuition, but I would defiantly choose a citygo if i were going for a manual car, so easy to drive, and so cheap to run ... And u can make it look cool with a few options, like wheels, sunset glass ect... I like unique cars for tuition though, and I bet there are none in use now

• Like 1

@Taylor93 Thank you very much for your indepth reply, I really appreciate your thoughts, and also from a fairly recent new driver there are some very good points to consider. I'm waiting for the Elegance demonstrator to be available at my local dealer so that I can simulate a few lessons and compare my own thoughts on my current car with the Citigo. I would imagine the parking sensors and Start/Stop can be disabled if needed so I'll use them to assist myself with parking !! Once again, thank you for your time.

@Shark As above, I'm waiting on the Elegance, I also like the 'unique' car, my Monte is the only one in use here at present, couple of others use SE's but they don't stand out like a Monte, it's a toughy to decide, hence not rushing and trying to get as much feedback as possible. Thanks again Dave

I run a Citigo for Driving instruction, one of the first to be used for this in the UK I believe!

Lovely little car and perfect for this. Don't worry about the stop/start aspect as this can be turned off as needed.

Avoid City safe, parking sensors and tinted windows as these are all things that can hinder the learning experience!

• Like 1

I run a Citigo for Driving instruction, one of the first to be used for this in the UK I believe!

Lovely little car and perfect for this. Don't worry about the stop/start aspect as this can be turned off as needed.

Avoid City safe, parking sensors and tinted windows as these are all things that can hinder the learning experience!

Hi Estorilblue, thanks for your reply, are dual controld free on the Citigo as they are on Fabias? Also, do you know if the CitySafe can be disabled at all? I'm pretty sure the parking sensors would be, my old Pug 207 had a button to enable/disable.

Thanks again :-)

• Like 1

stop start can be disabled by the button (has to be turned off each time you start the car) or setting airflow to demist winscreen (ceratinly on GL II)

not aware of any way to disable parking sensors

I can confirm that City Safe can be turned off also. There is a momentary button just forward of the gear lever. Confirmation of status appears on the console display.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Thread resurrection alert! How are you finding the real world fuel consumption teaching in the Citigo? Durability? Is it holding up OK? I am seriously considering one as my next instruction car, fuel consumption is a key factor as I cover around 40-50,000 miles a year.

Chris

• Like 1

no matter how we drive ours Chris, it wont go below 52 mpg... I've had 72 mpg when trying to be economical myself :) not tried it for lessons, only the vRS has appropriate insurance... so dont know about manouvers ect ...

That's encouraging. Is that real mpg or from the trip comp?

My daughter is using our Mii for practice - her driving school car is a diesel Citroen DS3.  She loves driving the Mii and can now see why we were keen to buy one so that she would have a car to use post test (neither the Yeti or Roomster were options for her insurance wise).  The DS3 is obviously bigger and perhaps more comfy for an instructor who spends a lot of time in the car.  But daughter cannot work out why the Citroen is so much more expensive than the Seat.  She loves the planted feel of all of the controls on the Mii and the fact that there are short overhangs.  The visibility is also much better.

The Mii SE doesn't have parking sensors, Citysafe or stop/start as standard, although otherwise trim is good with remote locking, electric windows, alloys, leather steering wheel and decent speakers for the radio. 

In terms of economy, I usually average mid 60's mpg in the Seat, 50ish in the Yeti and when we are out practising for the test, the Mii seems to return low 50's.  That does include a lot of shuffling about with parking manoeuvres etc.

Thanks for the input so far guys. Have a few things to get past before the final decision. Interior is a bit hair shirt by comparison to the relatively opulent Rio. No footrest WTF! Need to hear the six speaker system because the 2 speaker version would not be acceptable. The sums are adding up well though. Further comment welcome.

Chris

I'm guessing it is a big step up in sound quality over standard?

yes, ours has the stereo upgrade, and its awesome, together with streaming music from your phone via PID (which makes maxidot seem like a spectrum ZX81) I also has a standard "s" as a loan car, and its stereo was woeful by comparison ;)

• Like 1