Another Yeti sized competitor from Peugeot

• 1 month later...

More details have noe been released on the 2008:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/geneva-motor-show-2013/peugeot-2008-details-released-ahead-geneva-debut

98g CO2/km is amazing.

Still looks infinitely better to me than the Mokka or Puke.

More details have noe been released on the 2008:

http://www.autocar.c...ad-geneva-debut

98g CO2/km is amazing.

Still looks infinitely better to me than the Mokka or Puke.

Or that abomination of a Renault. The Peugeot looks a bit too 'Daniella Westbrook' post cocaine addiction, yet still better than the others

67 HP lump though, surely the words pull, skin and custard come to mind :giggle:

The Renault is not bad looking. Not keen on the Peugeot

As for this thread, what a mess. I hate that it goes way off topic for typos and general people just wanted to start arguments. Very annoying read..

I hope moderators delete almost all the second page.

Pathetic. Who cares!

As for this thread, what a mess. I hate that it goes way off topic for typos and general people just wanted to start arguments. Very annoying read..

I hope moderators delete almost all the second page.

Pathetic. Who cares!

That is the way of this section, we wander around a bit, argue a bit, make senseless points, but most important of all HAVE A BIT OF FUN AND BANTER, and that is all that P2 is.

Back on thread..............don't like the silly blue lights around the dials!

........don't like the silly blue lights around the dials!

+1. Pretty-pretty before function. In the dark you need to see the instrument readings, and only the readings. Any other lighting is glare = distraction. :thumbdown:

Peugeot and Renault seem to have done enough for me to warrant a closer look at the end of the year. Interesting that Peugeot have the driver peer over the wheel to see the dials. If this works then great because one problem I had with the Yeti was the obstruction of dials by the steering wheel rim.

If Skoda overprice the the Yeti facelift or don't do something to slightly better the fuel economy and emissions then I will certainly take a serious look at both. Of course, I hope that Skoda get it right.....

Edit: Second thoughts, I have just looked at the dimensions. It is 1556mm tall including roof rails. This will mean that the driving position is barely higher than a regular hatch. I like sitting high up and so maybe just the Renault to look at. Anyone know how tall that is? Can't find any measurements.

Edited by shrub

After 3 Skodas, I bought a Peugeot 3008. It had a number of issues from new, has broken down twice and I'm currently embroiled in a wrangle with customer services after the jog wheel for the sat nav system partially collapsed which they refuse to fix under warranty.

It will be replaced by what I should have bought in the first place... a yeti.

• Like 1

After 3 Skodas, I bought a Peugeot 3008.

Reliability statistics aside, my main issue with the 3008 is its looks.

This 2008 is certainly "cuter" but I'd want to read more on how it performs. Supermini-based engines don't sound like a good idea to me, and of the others in this class the Mokka just looks too small. Interesting that the Juke has been selling quite well though!

Reliability statistics aside, my main issue with the 3008 is its looks.

This 2008 is certainly "cuter" but I'd want to read more on how it performs. Supermini-based engines don't sound like a good idea to me, and of the others in this class the Mokka just looks too small. Interesting that the Juke has been selling quite well though!

Perhaps that is because it looks a bit strange like our Yetis.

I saw a Mokka the other week and it looked a fair size. It is longer and wider than a Yeti too, according to the dimensions I have seen. Perhaps it doesn't make good use of that space inside, I need to take a closer look. Having said that it is too expensive and the petrol engine options are not impressive compared to the Yeti.

Hi Johann (900000) - "No mention of a 4x4 version though."

Here is a 4x4 version I have just bought for the wife... 200bhp, 70mpg (claimed - more like 45!) and only £20 road tax.post-73315-0-53115700-1361458330_thumb.jpg

I like that pseudo 4x4 technology (but behold should you really need 4x4 with a flat hybrid battery!). I love the Audi wrap around cockpit too... but alas, the exterior design... Each to their own Tristar, but that thing is WEIRD looking! :giggle:

And in case you didn't know the facelift of that is already being made in China (which looks marginally better):

peugeot-3008-china-1.jpg

From: http://www.carnewschina.com/2012/11/20/official-pics-china-made-peugeot-3008-will-debut-on-guangzhou-auto-show/

• Like 1

Hi Johann,

I agree with you about "pseudo 4x4 technology" We do need a 4x4 and winter tyres up in the hills - hence my Yeti!

The Peugeot is very strange to drive: You switch on the ignition and nothing happens - just a READY light... No hand brake, just an electric switch. Select Auto and press the accelerator; electric brake releases and the car pulls away on the electric motor (rear wheel drive). Accelerate more and the engine starts (front wheel drive). Start going down hill; engine stops, rear wheels turn and charge the battery. When you accelerate at bottom of hill engine re-starts. On a 10 mile journey into Llanidloes, the engine stops and starts maybe 10 times or more. In town you can select ZEV - Zero Emission Vehicle and whisper silently along.

I can't think how it will cope on an icy road - changing from front wheel drive to rear and sometimes no wheel drive!

There are two other modes: 4WD which the diesel and electric motor run continuously (your 4x4 drive) - engine charges battery. The last mode is sports mode - which sharpens up the gear change an adds the elctric motor. It is then pretty quick (163bhp front; 37bhp rear = 200bhp!)and handles well...

Points to ponder: There is no clutch and no Park position! It's a 6 speed manual with automatic control. How does it keep stopping and starting the engine at speed (?). As far as I can see it reverses the polarity of the alternator and turns it into a motor; the same as the rear electric motor, turns into a generator - easy really!

Will all this 'gismo' last? Finally if you forget all of the above and just drive it, it is very pleasant to drive. The tinted glass roof makes it light an airy; the leather seats are comfortable (and better quality than my Yeti). It has a large Sat Nav with TMC - (same as Columbus) plus its own telephone (just pop in your, and in our case 'car' sim card). It also has bluetooth for your own mobile. If you crash (!!) it uses its own telephone to call the emergency services, giving your location via the Sat Nav. I hope I won't need that bit of technology!

I still love my Yeti - feels like a real car! However my wife likes her new car and did say thank you.

Peter

If you crash (!!) it uses its own telephone to call the emergency services, giving your location via the Sat Nav. I hope I won't need that bit of technology!

One little problem with that Peter.

We have been told that the system isn't turned on in the UK, and is only fully operational in parts of Europe.

For example, Welsh Ambulance Service, DyfedPowys Police and Mid & West Wales Fire & Rescue use post codes and OS map references, whilst the Air Ambulance use only OS map references, whilst West Midlands Ambulance only use post code.

There is currently NO one compatible system that covers the UK. Another example of non-joined-up thinking!!

And even if it did work in the UK it would only work where there is a GSM signal.

One little problem with that Peter.

We have been told that the system isn't turned on in the UK, and is only fully operational in parts of Europe.

For example, Welsh Ambulance Service, DyfedPowys Police and Mid & West Wales Fire & Rescue use post codes and OS map references, whilst the Air Ambulance use only OS map references, whilst West Midlands Ambulance only use post code.

There is currently NO one compatible system that covers the UK. Another example of non-joined-up thinking!!

And even if it did work in the UK it would only work where there is a GSM signal.

Hi Graham, I'll take your word for that, as you are involved in rescue work; but I'm reading from the 3008 Hybrid4 brouchure; it says "Peugeot Connect SOS is available in 12 European countries, including GB" So although the automatic part may not be switched on, they try and establish contact by the telephone (better not crash near home then with no mobile signal!), if not they say they will call the appropiate emergency service...

I do have my OS map reference on a sticker next to the telephone at home - (The Wales Air Ambulance has been called out to us...). It seems strange that they must fly and navigate by Lat & Long, but guess they have a map on their laps for visual guidance to the point of rescue...

Peter

No maps as such, Peter, but the whole of Wales OS maps on a computer pad linked to their GPS receiver. The one I sat in even had their red helo as the icon! The maps also include their approved landing spots and things like wind turbines highlighted. They are much more accurate than the equivalent car "pratnavs" so I presume use the miltary software. Mapping is apparently updated weekly!!

999/112 system still relies on verbal contact, although a text system is available for the deaf

...And even if it did work in the UK it would only work where there is a GSM signal.

Is this meant to be a tone-signal or somesuch representing a GPS defined lat-long that Euro emergency services are meant to recognise? When I read "telephone call" I assume a voice recording played and repeated to some emergency number (and hopefully garner some response). If it was a "data call" to some web / internet service then I would assume it would be car vendor specific (eg PSA UK routing requests!) ... although its possible that this is meant to be automated via some standard (?) for sat nav (eg do maps have some per-location internet registry for internet-based automated emergency service requests?)...

I expect cars-as-internet-devices to become increasingly prevalent for stuff like this. Don't be surprised if some future Yeti connects via WiFi / mobile network to discuss your driving habits with your car dealers computer, or with your work car park to get it to open the carpark gate, etc etc!

Hi Johann,

I agree with you about "pseudo 4x4 technology" We do need a 4x4 and winter tyres up in the hills - hence my Yeti!

The Peugeot is very strange to drive: You switch on the ignition and nothing happens - just a READY light... No hand brake, just an electric switch. Select Auto and press the accelerator; electric brake releases and the car pulls away on the electric motor (rear wheel drive). Accelerate more and the engine starts (front wheel drive). Start going down hill; engine stops, rear wheels turn and charge the battery. When you accelerate at bottom of hill engine re-starts. On a 10 mile journey into Llanidloes, the engine stops and starts maybe 10 times or more. In town you can select ZEV - Zero Emission Vehicle and whisper silently along.

I can't think how it will cope on an icy road - changing from front wheel drive to rear and sometimes no wheel drive!

There are two other modes: 4WD which the diesel and electric motor run continuously (your 4x4 drive) - engine charges battery. The last mode is sports mode - which sharpens up the gear change an adds the elctric motor. It is then pretty quick (163bhp front; 37bhp rear = 200bhp!)and handles well...

Points to ponder: There is no clutch and no Park position! It's a 6 speed manual with automatic control. How does it keep stopping and starting the engine at speed (?). As far as I can see it reverses the polarity of the alternator and turns it into a motor; the same as the rear electric motor, turns into a generator - easy really!

Will all this 'gismo' last? Finally if you forget all of the above and just drive it, it is very pleasant to drive. The tinted glass roof makes it light an airy; the leather seats are comfortable (and better quality than my Yeti). It has a large Sat Nav with TMC - (same as Columbus) plus its own telephone (just pop in your, and in our case 'car' sim card). It also has bluetooth for your own mobile. If you crash (!!) it uses its own telephone to call the emergency services, giving your location via the Sat Nav. I hope I won't need that bit of technology!

I still love my Yeti - feels like a real car! However my wife likes her new car and did say thank you.

Peter

I love the technology. BUT if I was to buy it won't buy it in the 3008. Way too weird. THIS is the one I'd get as it uses the same drivetrain. It's like a bigger more beautiful Octavia Scout. I think it looks fantastic. But £36,000 for a Pug? Dream on.

Peugeot-508-RXH-2.jpg