Another Yeti sized competitor from Peugeot

George, try English, because I haven't a clue what that first sentence means!

Regrettably, many of george's/George's sentences (and often entire paragraphs...and occasionally entire posts) are unintelligible to me. But I'm reasonably sure that's just my fault....or, at least, I hope it is!

(Probably best to insert a gratuitous smiley at this point..... :) )

• Like 2

oldstan

, thats OK if you do not always understand, i often never understand all of your posts or others for that fact.

I do not stress or even normally comment on it as a matter of course.

(lots of time in this section seems to be posts getting digs in at or about posters and not posts about the subect. JMO.)

If i see a word that means nothing to me.

ie 'Bowfin',

i just type it into google and often there will be a definition.

eg bowfin meaning scots

If its a word i use, it will often be the Scottish meaning it is used in, not the English, Welsh or 'Urban Dictionary'.one.

Simple this iternetty thing and forums.

george

• Like 1

The 2008 is based on the 208 floorpan, so compared to a Yeti will be a lot smaller. it would be like Skoda releasing one based on the Fabia platform unlike the Yeti which was built on the Octavia MK2 platform. Another rear picture below.

Not so mannyo.

Their lengths are:

Yeti is 4223mm

Juke is 4125mm

Mokka is 4280mm

Pug 2008 is 4160mm.

So even though the Yeti is an amalgamtion between (amongst other things) a Polo and a Golf and rides on a Golf sized wheelbase, it is in fact the size of these cars from the class below and it is not seen as being in the Tiguan class (length 4432mm) by the automotive industry. In price and spec it sits above these 2wd cute utes of course, but in size it does not.

BOWFIN;

The Bowfin, Amia calva, is the last surviving member of the order Amiiformes (which includes 3 additional, now-extinct families dating from the Jurassic, to the Eocene), and of the family Amiidae (which contains numerous species in about four subfamilies, only one of which, Amiinae, is extant). The Bowfin is a freshwater piscivore, preying on fish and larger aquatic invertebrates by ambush or stalking. Native to southeastern Canada and eastern United States, they prefer shallow, weedy waters of lakes or protected back waters of rivers. Bowfin are able to breathe air, using their swim bladder, which is connected to their gastrointestinal tract and allows them to regulate their buoyancy in the water, as a primitive lung. The fish can be seen coming to the surface and gulping air. This limits them to a specific depth range in which the surface is accessible. They tend to utilize shoreline habitats that are not accessible to other predatory fish.

Sorry George, must be a Scottish thing!

and sorry but I've lost my smillies here so I'll have to do it like this: ;-)

A man of much knowledge Graham - albeit strangely useless :rofl:

Note: Can you be on my pub team? :think:

Back on topic - it does actually look OK, but then as mentioned all these SUV types do, barring the Yeti. Plus the Yeti isn't made from tin foil :S

Back on topic - it does actually look OK, but then as mentioned all these SUV types do, barring the Yeti. Plus the Yeti isn't made from tin foil :S

If it was, it'd be faster! :D

• Like 1

Llanigraham, sorry OT.

Thats how Scots words come about and people do not know the origins now.

Bowfin or Howfin,

Some Scottish fishermen or settlers in Canada or Norh America will have probably come across rotting Bowfin's,

or fresh ones and found them not very palatable.

Smelly and not nice.

IMO, a Great word to describe something rank, smelly or not nice or not to ones liking. Bowfin, pronounced 'Bow' like How-fin.

george

There's nothing wrong with the look of the Bowfin.

It's a fish.

And nobody is going to go round sniffing a car.

Ladies bicycle seats is a different matter ;)

• Like 2

Amazing how a point can be missed.

Sometimes it seems on purpose.

The talk & thread is about a car and its looks,

a descriptive word gets used that describes something smelly or unpalatable,

and is not really about if 'someone thinks a fish' is good looking.

Now it becomes about the smell of a car or cycle seat sniffing.

* Here is another obscure thing, that many south of the border will not understand,

Just the punch line from a Joke about Arbroath.

'Morning ladies'

george

Thanks Dom, that makes a bit more sense.

George, your post at #40 doesn't make any sense either!

Back on thread.

I shall wait until my local Pug dealer gets one in, however it still won't be on my "want" list.

• Like 1

Just quickly, (funnily i make an attempt to understand Welsh people and their language or terms, dialect etc)

Doric is the dialect of the North East, Banffshire & Aberdeenshire areas and still taught when i was young.

Chiel & Loon are young men,

and can be used to describe those from different areas or ages sometimes.

(Sometimes Fishers or Farmers.)

george

george

(with 2 g's) ....... :)

I'm sure this is all no more than a spot of banter to be taken in good humour.....which we all are.

I'd never heard the word Bowfin (or it's alternative spelling with a 'g')..........

But, speaking of 'g's, George, your signature starts with a lower case g, but almost everyone replies to you (myself included) with a capital G.

Do tell, once and for all, is it just a typo or an intended deviaton from the accepted spelling of that noble name?

(My own nomenclature is deliberately misspelled due to fact that my real name is Veronica-Sarah ).

Edited by oldstan

My birth name is actually John sometime Dod..

Again a North East thing, Old Dode & its usually Young Dod.

george

Oh.... right...OK then, John.

:wonder:

(Now I really, really am confused....time for a lay down).

Edited by oldstan

interestingly, the diminutive Dod , Dode, or Doad was generally used affectionately for someone called George.

Dode (aka George, aka Freshacre - from Dumfries originally = and so a "Doonhamer")

My birth name is actually John sometime Dod..

Again a North East thing,

Old Dode & its usually Young Dod.

(Dode & Dod are Gaelic for George)

george

http://www.hmfckickb...led-george-dode

news to me. I was always under the impression that Seoras was George - though I think of it as "George is the English for Seoras"

:think:

Where george is from it is common to refer to a young man as a loon or a loonie, whereas round here doing so would probably lead to you receiving a non accidental injury.

:giggle:

With all this confusion no one has picked up on my post referring to the Yeti as 'not very pretty'. :bandit:

I have not edited the post as it reads "it does actually look OK, but then as mentioned all these SUV types do, barring the Yeti"

Admittedly it should read ....... barring the Yeti, which stands out due to its design - or something along those lines.

I LIKE THE YETI - before I get flamed :rofl:

Anyway back Off Topic ;)

• Like 1

Oh.... right...OK then, John.

(Now I really, really am confused....time for a lay down).

Before Graham gets all pedantic again, to be grammatically correct, shouldn't that be a lie down? :giggle:

BOWFIN;

The Bowfin, Amia calva, is the last surviving member of the order Amiiformes (which includes 3 additional, now-extinct families dating from the Jurassic, to the Eocene), and of the family Amiidae (which contains numerous species in about four subfamilies, only one of which, Amiinae, is extant). The Bowfin is a freshwater piscivore, preying on fish and larger aquatic invertebrates by ambush or stalking. Native to southeastern Canada and eastern United States, they prefer shallow, weedy waters of lakes or protected back waters of rivers. Bowfin are able to breathe air, using their swim bladder, which is connected to their gastrointestinal tract and allows them to regulate their buoyancy in the water, as a primitive lung. The fish can be seen coming to the surface and gulping air. This limits them to a specific depth range in which the surface is accessible. They tend to utilize shoreline habitats that are not accessible to other predatory fish.

Sorry George, must be a Scottish thing!

and sorry but I've lost my smillies here so I'll have to do it like this: ;-)

I knew that. :giggle:

Fred