Turbo advice - to hybrid or not?

Well I guess I was a little harsh with the post, the Ibiza is great fun as is the Fabia to a lesser degree.

They are a different kettle of fish I guess. I enjoy being out on the bike, its of course easier and safer to actually go faster in the car.

Lazy speed can be had from a hybrid, but to go as fast as it "can" go it still needs to see nearer 5k

I might sell the bike in a few months as hardly get time to use it, I wont be selling either the Ibiza or Fabia hybrids, so maybe.. maybe your right!

I always thought the K3 was alot lighter lol.

Exactly what I'm thinking, I've done about 500 miles on the bike this year! Its cost me over a £1 a mile to tax, insure, MOT etc! I don't really want to loose the NCB on the bike though so might get a 125 and insure that but keep it in the barn.

Lazy speed I like then power when you need it. Some more research will have to be done :)

Does a hybrid car still run out of puff after 90ish like a remapped one?

I never noticed that until a couple of weeks ago when someone in the slow lane put their foot down as I was along side them (it was going into 1 lane) I put my foot down at around 80 and thought something was wrong lol!

Yes and no. It does but it would still walk all over a none hybrid, its all relative. So would feel like its still pulling

to a none hybrid owner, but to the owner of the hybrid wouldnt feel like it was pulling.

I only have 160mph on the clock on the Ibiza, which I have seen it go over and hit the limiter in 6th which as its a later gearbox must be a real world speed of around 156mph.

Guest BigJase88

Times have moved on from the pd150 hybrid

It was ground breaking a few years ago. The likes of darkside developments are pushing boundaries! Have a look at their web page!

In all fairness, I was (still am) 100% open to the thought of a GTB turbo, but the people I have spoken to regarding them have said they are lacking power at lower rpm. I`m keeping my eye on how things go, but not seen anything yet to make me think a GTB turbo would be better (particularly for road use) than my current setup at anything other than big numbers. Just my opinion, I like having decent power across the rev range.

Its the price that is the key factor. Gtb would be great if you had the cash to do it but for most fabia owners the hybrid 130/50 is still an expensive upgrade. No doubt the game is moving on but its what you can budget yourself and happy to live with.

There were and still are plenty of options to go for more power? Its not new?! Its the cost to go to that power that is the issue for some, with the drivability covering the rest!

Shows there were tdi's with more power than a hybrid with Darkside Developments owners were a couple of years into their teenage years at 15 years old! :p 

• Like 2

I joined tdiclub when I got my furby in 2004. Their was plenty of people around the world no scared of using engineering skills to bolt different turbo(s) to the VAG TDI lumps. Hell a lot were fabricating exhaust manifolds in their sheds.

Darkside have seen an opportunity to fabricate kits to make them more "bolt on".

• Like 1

But I love driving the car! Mines a K3 so essentially the same as yours ;) The bike just needs to be rev'd hard to get it to go fast where as the Fabia delivers easy power. My mind constantly ticks over while I'm on the bike 'WHAT IF' its only done that in the last 12 months or so, never had that before and I used to have a whale of a time!

I do agree with T Spark in that the excitement is not quite the same, its not really difficult to get bikes fast, they just have different power delivery and band.

Its closer to comparing the difference between a turbo diesel and something like a mazda rx (but a much faster one)!

The obvious difference with bikes is the range is wide and the power comes throughout this long range whilst the kick of the fabia is the swift power delivery through the torque, which can give a short but similar intensity as being on a bike

There is something nice about the lazy diesel torque though particularly in the fabia, can't comment on the hybid/modded aspect but can't knock anyone for their choice whether it be bike or car.

I'd personally say "not" and get a stock PD150 which is also one of my next jobs, since I have equal or more excitement in bikes which already get pocket rocket supercar performance at decent price so would struggle to rationalise the costs of the serious modifying. Great respect to those who don't mind splashing the money and time into it though

I do agree with T Spark in that the excitement is not quite the same, its not really difficult to get bikes fast, they just have different power delivery and band.

Its closer to comparing the difference between a turbo diesel and something like a mazda rx (but a much faster one)!

The obvious difference with bikes is the range is wide and the power comes throughout this long range whilst the kick of the fabia is the swift power delivery through the torque, which can give a short but similar intensity as being on a bike

There is something nice about the lazy diesel torque though particularly in the fabia, can't comment on the hybid/modded aspect but can't knock anyone for their choice whether it be bike or car.

I think its just been too long since I last rode it, got to be at least 6 months

Yeah well, seem to be a lot of people doing that nowadays, so you aren't alone. Its your decision. I have to say I would struggle to give up biking for good though. A bit like asking to give up sex or drinking :rofl:

I'm the opposite, my journey to work is beginning to seriously suck (10 miles, 10mph avg, sometimes at best), so provided its relatively nice it would be the bike EVERY time.

What would you do, happily do 10 miles an hour and guarantee being late to work every day or having to really get up much earlier

To be honest in fairness getting the vRS however is the closest I have ever got to that ear to ear grin experience in a cage, and can seriously understand where you may be coming from in retiring the keys. I guess it helps that its vastly better (in the sense of actually driving) to so many cars on the road. Now I wish they would realise and get the F out the way lol

Whoops this is a bit of a diversion from the hybrid of the OP!

To hybrid or not comes down to money, I've got money to do this level of modding but then it would be the insurance cost that would annoy me, I've got too much common sense genes running through me.

I'm sure those that run 200+ will argue strongly its worth it, and for the enjoyment they get they have got to be right - its what they want