Snow Has Arrived...

Tristar 1011

Quick walk down to The Star then Peter?

I don't think Sue will bother to open. It's a shame really, because we don't often go ourselves and not many of the villagers do either - that tends to kill off a local pub... Years ago it was full, with dart and pool teams. Tony, the landlord being the heart and sole of the pub and the food was good. They still do food, but mainly at the weekend.

I most definitely don't want to start a war but I'm struggling to understand the problem with Pirelli P Zero Rossi's (which are fitted to my Yeti). I had to go out this morning in the snow and driving at sensible speeds for the conditions had no problems. Plenty of ABS brake "chatter", but that was just the system doing its job. just commenting on my experience.

I have driven for years in snowy conditions, but I have never been in a situation before when at no more than 10mph I found my car's rear end trying to overtake the front, and I could do nothing about it when the P Zeros decided to offer no grip at all when an idiot driving far too fast for the conditions came the other way on my side of the road. Although I didn't hit her car, I kerbed both left hand alloys.

I initially put it down to the car's electronics taking over in a situation that I would have been able to sort myself on previous less sophisticated cars. So I tried various similar slow speed manoeuvres on a big empty car park, where I had the time to look at the various warning lights and I found that the electronics were not necessarily cutting in. A friend has a Dunlop shot Yeti and we tried his car and control was maintained in similar circumstances, and in fact continued to be so at substantially higher speeds too. This unscientific test does seem to point to the Pirelli tyres - and others have had similar experiences on here too. (This was winter 2010).

However, I agree that in a straight line, I had not up to that point had any complaints about them, even in snow, but my confidence in the tyres had been shattered. So I bought a set of winters - and of course we then had no snow again until yesterday!

Edited by speedsport

Quote Tristar P Zero Rossi tyres tucked up in the garage loft in cardboard boxes to keep warm till next spring!

We are however snowed in with snow drifts of 4'-6' deep - so even with full winter tyres we won't be going anywhere soooooon!

Best place for them mine are on their rack I found them to be pretty terrible in snow last year. Tread quickly fills up and they slide about!!!

Went out playing in the dark earlier having taken Wonderwoman down to friends for girly curry night.

Up the road from us is the Scammonden dam which forms the M62 and the old road around the dam is a bit of a challenge in this weather with a 1 in 5/6 descent and lots of ups and downs and several idiots like myself out in the snow. Very fine stuff blowing about but only 3 or 4 inches away from the drifts, the downhill hold is great.

Lights are tremendous in snow.

Don`t tell our lass where I have been, fear is a terrible thing!! :hi: She`s walking home but said I would walk down and meet her and her mate half way as its near to the cricket club and I can call in for a pint.must get me boots on,(Not Pirellis!!!)

Cheers

Peter. :beer:

• Like 1

Lots of snow guys and don't the dogs love it. We're still in the mid 20's here.

Bob, LPG bottles in the cold end up with the butane portion of the propane/butane mix just sitting in the bottom as liquid which won't boil off and come out to be burnt. You may need somewhere warm to keep your bottles if you want to get all the gas out of them.

In colder parts of US and Canada they use propane instead of LPG for this reason. Propane still boils off and comes out the bottle in cold temps.

We had quite a bit of snow here in sunny dorset, well not on the coast, but inland.

Had to drive to Poole, and on the way home we took to the country lanes, some of which had virgin snow.

I had a number of attempts to induce wheel spin on the hankook 310's with no luck. Accelerate hard in a straight line.

Most impressive of all was a pull away from a t junction, where the joining road was up an incline.

Gave it a good dollop of right foot and all that happened was a quick take off with no fuss at all...

Very impressed

They send something like 95% of the drive to the front wheels in normal conditions but can send as much as 90% to the rear wheels if needed. There's no selection of what power goes where although the off road button (if present) does activate more sophisticated control of what the wheels are doing. I'll find out what mine does on snow in an hour or so on my way to the Malthouse Briskoda meet :sun:

A hill-top Yeti with a 5" coat on

Snow01_zps8c701b50.jpg

Mine looked exactly the same yesterday. None on it when SWMBO came back from work though.

Big thanx to YetiMan for the winter rubber. She felt safe and secure, even going down the hill into Hemel.

She came back up at lunchtime,no problem at all. :) :)

Would you like some Sandy?

We've got plenty to spare!!

Too true - get it up here! I've got a 13 month old Yeti that's desperate to have a 'play' in the snow (well, it's me really, but I'm sure if the 'Santa Express' wasn't an inanimate object and devoid of being sentient it would agree with me!!).

Couldn't resist going for a play on what little snow lies in the quiet lanes in North Cheshire this morning. Play? The winters just grip & grip & grip.

These tyres were an excellent insurance policy though. Not had any decent snow at all since I got them. Typical.

What's the betting we get snow Mon/Tues/Wed next week when the Yeti goes in for stuff to be fixed & I have a loan car?

SOMEONE IS NICKING OUR SNOW!

I've just driven for 15 minutes (admittedly) through the lightest of snow falls - I can see the flashes of the flakes in the headlights (xenon of course), the flakes aren't landing on the windscreen, they're not lying on the road, the road is dry, where the hell is it all going?

Couldn't resist going for a play on what little snow lies in the quiet lanes in North Cheshire this morning. Play? The winters just grip & grip & grip.

These tyres were an excellent insurance policy though. Not had any decent snow at all since I got them. Typical.

What's the betting we get snow Mon/Tues/Wed next week when the Yeti goes in for stuff to be fixed & I have a loan car?

Looks like I should have gone to my sister's in Anglesey to try out the Yeti's winter tyres . 35cm (14") there this morning. Mind you, ground clearance then becomes the issue!

2013Jansnow1_zps1f0587c6.jpg

And no, that's not a snow drift, everything's that deep in Church Bay, including the beach!

They're trying to dig themselves out, but there's nowhere to put the snow (that's a Focus above by the way)

Edited by speedsport
  • Like 2

Check what's on the courtesy car, I had one with winters on the front and summers on the back, spun through 180 degrees at 15 mph!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Looks like I should have gone to my sister's in Anglesey to try out the Yeti's winter tyres . 35cm (14") there this morning. Mind you, ground clearance then becomes the issue!

2013Jansnow1_zps1f0587c6.jpg

And no, that's not a snow drift, everything's that deep in Church Bay, including the beach!

They're trying to dig themselves out, but there's nowhere to put the snow (that's a Focus above by the way)

Oh my! Now thats proper snow!! :love: :rock:

Oh my! Now thats proper snow!! :love: :rock:

That's not snow.

Just been watching the documentary about the " big freeze" of 1963. It lasted for 2 months.

The snow was so deep in some areas of the country, that the only way out of houses was to climb out of the upstairs windows!

• Like 1