Driving instructors setting a poor example.

Gizmo

Slightly off topic - I had an instructor undertaking me (followed by cutting me up) at excess of 90mph down the a40 not too long ago, I moved out (being nice as I am) to let her join the dual carriageway :think:. Another occasion on the same stretch a different instructor going ~80mph in a 50mph zone..

I sort of agree with you Gizmo.

Yes clear ALL your windows, lights and number plate............but I'm not sure why it's important to clear the bonnet, unless the snow falls and obscures your lights again, and the same with the roof snow too...........so yeah, I now agree with you fully :(

Drive until the interior starts "feeling warm", brake sharply, and half the roof snow is now on your windscreen. Enough said?

Sharkrider said....

L plates must be removed when nit driven by a learner 'except' on driving school cars...

Agree with what chrisgb said, there ate massively varying standards...

Not strictly so.

All L plates displayed should be removed when the car is not being driven by a learner except when the instructor is going from pupil to pupil or to and from test.

• Like 1

The other week I near enough had to step out into the road when signalling to a local driving instructor that she was driving down the towns high street with no head lights on. At night.

Great example :smirk:

from the current gov.uk website..

Vehicles. Any vehicle driven by a learner MUST display red L plates. In Wales, either red D plates, red L plates, or both, can be used. Plates MUST conform to legal specifications and MUST be clearly visible to others from in front of the vehicle and from behind. Plates should be removed or covered when not being driven by a learner (except on driving school vehicles).

Law MV(DL)R reg 16 & sched 4

https://www.gov.uk/rules-drivers-motorcyclists-89-to-102/motor-vehicle-documentation-and-learner-driver-requirements

Good day for Driving Instruction here,

plenty out and about,

cars are clear of snow but some instructor might show the pupils to turn their lights on.

george

This one did have lights on.

There are other White Driving School cars out and about even while snowing heavily without or with Sidelights only.

I've seen so many driving instructors in and arround Leeds setting poor examples. Everything from changing lanes without indicating to driving whilst on the phone.

My opinion is that there should be far stricter guidelines for anyone wanting to teach - harsher fines etc. as already mentioned they should be setting not a good, but a PERFECT example

The guidelines are there it's just that DSA don't go far enough to make sure they're kept to.

ADI check tests is just one example.

There is one instructor round here that committed at least 6 serious faults on a 10 minute drive back to the test centre.

He shouldn't be driving at all, let alone teaching, but he always passes his check tests!

The guidelines are there it's just that DSA don't go far enough to make sure they're kept to.

ADI check tests is just one example.

There is one instructor round here that committed at least 6 serious faults on a 10 minute drive back to the test centre.

He shouldn't be driving at all, let alone teaching, but he always passes his check tests!

how do you know this? were you supervising the examiner in the back? (assuming he was on a check test, just assuming context) if he was just driving himself, from what basis and qualifications, are you saying he comitted 6 serious faults on a ten minute drive? if it was a pupil, then , well, they make mistakes, they are learners.

I'm not denying it, I just want to know how qualified you are...

I have had many instances of members of the "public" actually calling me on my phone and saying things like "call yourself a ******* drivivng instructor drivivng in a ******* bus lane.." ect ect ... then I calmly point out the signs saying what times the bus lane operates and that we are outside those time ect, and if they want to learn somethng the should pay me for a lesson..

I'm not saying you are wrong, (you were wrong about the L plates I posted the correct and current law 2 posts above) I just want to know from what basis you making you comments from , bot in your professional qualifications and experiance... You may well be an ex eamaniner who knows what a "serious fault" is, and if so I accept your statements.. I just want to know you are not "joe public" who has previously complained to me , when they are totally wrong and simply ignorant :)

no offense intended.

I am indeed an examiner and was conducting the test in question.

It was terminated in the interest of public safety!

The ADI offered to drive me back, as it was late in the test and a long walk.

There were at least 3 occasions on his drive back when I was within a gnats of taking action!

Never again :o

• Like 2

I am indeed an examiner and was conducting the test in question.

It was terminated in the interest of public safety!

The ADI offered to drive me back, as it was late in the test and a long walk.

There were at least 3 occasions on his drive back when I was within a gnats of taking action!

Never again :o

oh my! thats poor then :( (edit: maybe you should do some "reporting" next time you have an opportunity!)

the problem with check tests (as I think you may agree) is that they could be "practiced" before hand with the pupil in question...

how do you feel about examiner role play? (thats what I did on my last check test, as I had no available pupil) .. then you are more in charge of their actual ability to spot and correct faults....

• Like 1

Amount of folk with snow on their cars this week has annoyed me.

Clear it off or police give them fines and points.

It's a danger to them and other road users n

Instructor should know better.

This one did have lights on.

There are other White Driving School cars out and about even while snowing heavily without or with Sidelights only.

In the picture, whilst it is lightly snowing, there is good all-round visibility. Why would you have your lights on?

Best thing to do when your car is covered in snow is drive really fast then hit the brakes - all the snow flies off in one go :giggle:

Just joking - I have having ANY snow on my car when I drive it.

RainbowFire,

pretty obviously the picture was taken where there was not almost whiteout conditions in heavy snow.

& while i was not driving & seeing the ones without lights on.

As you (i) drove within the area of the town or just out of there were heavy snow showers.

About 200-300 meters away as seen in the picture there was almost zero visibility.

Why you would put your lights on in poor visability is because that is part of what you are learning, Highway Code and all that.

You are the Hot on using Lights person usually!

george

• Like 1

In the picture, whilst it is lightly snowing, there is good all-round visibility. Why would you have your lights on?

Polar bears and arctic foxes are white.

Ice and snow are white.

They are camouflaged and very difficult to see.

White car.

Snow and ice.

Same result as above.

They should turn their lights on for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

Yes it could…. still no excuse for being lazy and not clearing the snow off it though is there?

agreed.

I am sorry but I couldn't resist you evil evil man you! :peek:

a nice test of my winter tyres no traction or ESP or ABS used

• Like 2

My main beef about lerners ( and it's possibly down to fear of testers) is pushing on at all times. i was taught ,that when in doubt ,stop to be safe, and assess if it's safe to proceed. To often do I see driving school cars attempting to go through ( IMHO) gaps that to me ,as a driver of 46 years look dubious.No attempt by the instructor to hold back the learner. Most times I hold back ( even though I've got ROW) and let them go . I value my NCB. Next beef, and it mighthave changed in past few years , is the idea that on coming to an island, you must stop . I see it regularly and it makes my p boil. Nothing in sight, I've looked well in advance, but plonker in front stops to look . WHY not engage brain, learn COAST ,and learn to drive.

OH -YES - LIGHTS in bad weather - I aint got radar, but a good pair ofeyes, but I have my dips on - I want to be seen, not act as a stealth bomber.

But then, till we get a "cam to pick up cars with no lights in poor visibility " , we will get it .We used to have a device to pick this up -it was called a Traffic cop.Sadly ,without any orbituary these have passed on .

RainbowFire,

pretty obviously the picture was taken where there was not almost whiteout conditions in heavy snow.

& while i was not driving & seeing the ones without lights on.

As you (i) drove within the area of the town or just out of there were heavy snow showers.

About 200-300 meters away as seen in the picture there was almost zero visibility.

Why you would put your lights on in poor visability is because that is part of what you are learning, Highway Code and all that.

You are the Hot on using Lights person usually!

george

I was just wondering about your sudden advocation for the use of lights in an identical manner those DRLs you so love to hate, especially considering you seem unhappy that other "white school cars" were driving around with no lights on at all.

Maybe the point of these advances in technology ("progress" if you will) needs to be demonstrated in a first-hand manner. ;)

Polar bears and arctic foxes are white.

Ice and snow are white.

They are camouflaged and very difficult to see.

White car.

Snow and ice.

Same result as above.

They should turn their lights on for obvious reasons.

Trust me, there was a point to the post I made. ;) ;)

• Like 1

LOL RainbowFire, i suspect the 'point' was an attempt at a dig at me.

I have allways been an advocate of using the correct lighting for the needs of others to see and be seen,

just never liked the Fogs on & Cornering fogs and i am OK, i can see,

never bother about other road users.

Moan about bike lights being bright and then upgrade your own and no thought of other road users.

I have been to Kent and it is no darker or subject to fog than anyplace else,

Side & Dipped beam seem to work OK down there when needed, and Fogs if visibility requires.

Standard set UK DRL's give no lighting to the rear in Adverse Visibility to aid other road users in seeing you.

Now what can we argue about now?

george

No need to Stereotype, but some like fun down there more than others it seems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs4-lxrTK-8

Unfortunately today a large section of the motoring public Dont Give a S about anybody including themselves parking on footpaths so pedestrians especialy with prams and blind people have to walk onto the road,is similar to the snow on vehicles they never think of the consequences of what they do, or do they do it on purpose, No surely not.