Fuel Consumption

Sandy.Rogers

If yew coming to Norfolk, wear a yellow and green scarf and get yerself a couple of extra prosthetic toes bor, yew might even pass for a loocal!

Hey got my new yeti on Tuesday, the garage filled it with diesel for me before I picked it up , yesterday Wednesday my fuel guage was down by quarter of a tank this I thought was normal, then today Thursday my fuel guage has now gone back up to full, I have done 130 miles in total anyone else experienced this ? Maybe it just needs to settle down or maybe a faulty guage ? .

Quiet, lads!

That sounds odd, Wendychrissam, but not necessarily serious. I'd be inclined to wait for it to happen again.

On a sort of related note, I would like to display my spritmonitor data in my sig like what rockhoppy does. But I can't seem to find any option on their site that works.

Anyone got any ideas.

Btw, it's currently showing 40.28mpg from new.

It generally gets used for short commutes to work, and longer occasional trips to places. When the weather gets warmer it will be left on drive in favour of the scooter (no... Not one of those aluminium ones with donuts for wheels!)

The octy 1.9tdi estate used to return 55mpg with a similar driving pattern, but then we like the Yeti more...

Hi MerlinMan, thanks for that.

I had to use Firefox developers tools to work out that its an image that you need to paste not a standard http link.

Fixed now as you can see.

The snippets on the Spritmonitor page actually create too much code!

Cheers

I've got the full brim to brim history of nearly three years Yeti ownership, and the overall figure is exactly 43.5, which, given the undulating topography driven, is not too bad I reckon.

What I found interesting is that every cold snap we had reduced that figure, sometimes to below 40mpg. Long motorway hauls up to Scotland regularly saw 49. And when I eventually capitulated and put on the winter Conti tyres the consumption figure dropped to 41.5 overall.

As someone else pointed out, all these figures - and everyone else's - are largely meaningless because of the multiplicity of variables!! Still - it is interesting to jaw about!!

• Like 2

Finally filled up yesterday

385 miles on the tank, 20 miles range left.

The time it took to drive: (average 17mph over 385 miles)

8550313535_c9cf354f13_z.jpg

My fuel consumption: :thumbdown:

8550313083_facff6a9d3_z.jpg

Tut tut. Sir should have opted for the 1.8TSi with 'enhancements'..... ;)

yetimpgaustria_zpsf2ba3577.jpg

Tut tut. Sir should have opted for the 1.8TSi with 'enhancements'..... ;)

yetimpgaustria_zpsf2ba3577.jpg

Yes I know, but this was all around congested South London..... I suspect the 1.8tsi would be a tad worse. :lol:

Sent using Tapatalk from my Phone

• Like 1

This is really just talking about smoke rings. As others have said, in one way or another, there are no constants in the figures so there are no true comparisons and if economy were everything then we wouldn't be driving Yetis and in the Briskoda way, would we? :angel:

Anyway - another couple of useless stats :peek: : I fill when convenient, as the needle gets close to the red bit, up to pump auto-stop. The last fill-to-fill went 343 miles, resulting from probably the worst period of bitty motoring we've done for several years - almost all weather affected, short local essential journeys on a cold engine (look at Fuelly, below). Don't tell me I should have gone petrol - next week I'm towing, and every one of the horses and all the wheels will be working for the first time this year (the first time for young Annie, come to that!).

We've just done a 1900 mile round trip down to the Pyrenees and back and got 43.5mpg in France and only 38.6 here in the UK.

This in a 140 TD 4x4, two up with a big load of luggage. What I can't get my head around is why the big difference between here and France. Most of it was on motorways, simllar speeds, bit higher in France with the 80 limit.

These figures should be accurate as the tank was brimmed properly each fill up and the mileage taken from the GPS as with the winter tyres on the Maxidot is reading high.

Very odd, I'm wondering if the far smoother French roads have a bearing on this, less rolling resistance? The only other factor was the temperature, about 0C here and around 10C in France.

I think the fact is that French roads are less crowded than ours, especially the Autoroutes, so speed is more consistent, and are invariably certainly better surfaced. However the main difference comes in your last sentence..........it is bloody cold here, therefore the car uses more diesel to warm up!

• Like 1

We've just done a 1900 mile round trip down to the Pyrenees and back and got 43.5mpg in France and only 38.6 here in the UK.

This in a 140 TD 4x4, two up with a big load of luggage. What I can't get my head around is why the big difference between here and France. Most of it was on motorways, simllar speeds, bit higher in France with the 80 limit.

These figures should be accurate as the tank was brimmed properly each fill up and the mileage taken from the GPS as with the winter tyres on the Maxidot is reading high.

Very odd, I'm wondering if the far smoother French roads have a bearing on this, less rolling resistance? The only other factor was the temperature, about 0C here and around 10C in France.

It's downhill to France so uphill when you return. :giggle:

Fred

• Like 2

Ive usually put this down to different fuel tbh! Its certainly more potent in Germany/Luxemberg for example and thats where i usually fill up to make it back through France and to Calais.

The only way to compare is for the same driver to use the same route in the same conditions.........

Otherwise we are comparing like with unlike as mentioned above. :lol:

Sent using Tapatalk from my Phone

Interesting article regarding manufacturers' claimed figures below. Now I knew they pulled a few tricks, but didn't know they're allowed to quote 4% below recorded results, even after pulling such tricks:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-21759258

Edited by Skoda Al Coda

I have almost always noticed I go further on a tank in France. Also noticed that I used to get less foaming on fill up. I often wondered about different additive packages, or slightly different gravities. Of the fuel, not the newtonian one.

I now try to arrive in France with a low tank and fill just off the ferry. Most times I will get to Frankfurt (414 miles) with the need for a fill looming. The return, using German fuel - Shell or Aral, thats what is available - seems to leave less in the tank upon arrival in Boulogne/St Omer. These are just subjective impressions, I use the fuel it takes and can't be ar.... to work it out with any more precision. For the time being, saving 1/2 an hour is more important, and less boring when you have those sorts of distance to do on Autobahn, so speeds creep up and getting there is higher priority than a litre of Diesel.

Interesting article regarding manufacturers' claimed figures below. Now I knew they pulled a few tricks, but didn't know they're allowed to quote 4% below recorded results, even after pulling such tricks:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-21759258

Outrageous really when you think about it, we all knew they fiddled about, but why are they allowed to get away with so much manipulation of the results?

When I was an apprentice, and people believed quoted HP figures, especially in NA, certain manufacturers went to great lengths to boost horsepower. Ancillary drives, fans and dynamos, were removed, along with anything restrictive like exhausts and air filters. What you would think of as an essential like a water or oil pump were externally driven. You could get quite a difference between the installed HP and the catalogue "Gross HP" figure.