Dealer Discounts on Yeti L&K

scottpcs

Can't remember the last time I went to tescos to haggle for a loaf of bread!!

That's the difference between an everyday purchase and a big one such as a car. For some of us, a good discount means the difference between affording a car or not. The same can't be said for essentials such as bread and butter where the difference is more likely to be in pence not pounds!

Having said that, I do know someone who took a light bulb costing 60p back to the shop because she'd found it cheaper by 10p!

More clarity is the point I'm trying to make, some dealers are very unscrupulous (minority) but there still shouldn't be £3000 pound difference for the car from the same factory no matter how much the dealers mark up is!

More clarity is the point I'm trying to make, some dealers are very unscrupulous (minority) but there still shouldn't be £3000 pound difference for the car from the same factory no matter how much the dealers mark up is!

You're absolutely right and this part that baffles me most. How can websites such as DtD offer seemingly ridiculous discounts when the majority of dealers won't even entertain those numbers? As for those that do, how can they afford to offer such vast discounts when most others can't or won't?

This is especially true on popular cars such as the Yeti where discounts are not expected to be so high, if at all. Certainly I've never known Skoda to offer discounts of any description in the Yeti, the only ones you'll find are low APR rates on finance or free servicing, again on finance. There's never been a 0% APR or VAT offer on the Yeti to my knowledge.

I honestly have no idea what the dealer's markup is on the Yeti or even whether it's the same for every dealer. You'd have thought the bigger franchises have more buying power and therefore could offer better discounts but instead it's the smaller independent dealers that are more flexible in this respect.

I'm a great believer in that if something seems too good to be true then it usually is. I just can't believe that much smaller dealers can afford to undercut the bigger franchises and by such a big margin?

You're absolutely right and this part that baffles me most. How can websites such as DtD offer seemingly ridiculous discounts when the majority of dealers won't even entertain those numbers?

I imagine they're making very little % on the car but relying on bonuses from Skoda UK for selling huge volumes.

Will DtD dealers take a part exchange?

I imagine they're making very little % on the car but relying on bonuses from Skoda UK for selling huge volumes.

I hear that generally they won't but others have said that you can do a p/x with some of them. I do in fact have a p/x so that may complicate things a little. As I've said, Preston Motors have given me, IMHO, a good price for my p/x and knocked around £2.1k off the price of the new one. DtD price is £3k discount but I don't know if that takes into consideration any p/x or extras on the new car?

Believe their site states no P/X but I'm sure some have managed to come to an arrangement with the supplying dealer. one of the things that has put me off using the site myself. Skodastore (put in contact with Rainworth) do offer P/X but when I've tried them their deals have not proved competitive.

TP

I used to sell VW group cars and (we are talking a few years ago now) there was a total mark up on most models of about 14%, however, half of this was available only at the end of the sales quarter as a reward for hitting targets. If a dealer is using DTD for business then they are certain to hit their targets and so can afford to pile them high and sell them cheap. A dealer working on lower sales projections will look to retain some money in each car that they sell. I was never allowed to reduce a car by more than 7% (excluding additional manufacturer supported special offers) and even that was after a battle with the sales manager. In the same dealership our fleet department would deal with broker sales and therefore offer at least 10% on many deals due to the volume of business that they were getting through the broker. If a dealer doesn't give you the deal you are looking for it will, to some extent, be because of their individual business model and the desire to still be open in twelve months time. If ultimate discount is your goal then go through a broker and then get your servicing done at your local dealer.

As far as recommending a dealer, I bought my Yeti from Allams of Epsom and received excellent service and a very good deal (in 2010). Saying that, James the sales chap has left now.

• Like 2

I hear that generally they won't but others have said that you can do a p/x with some of them. I do in fact have a p/x so that may complicate things a little. As I've said, Preston Motors have given me, IMHO, a good price for my p/x and knocked around £2.1k off the price of the new one. DtD price is £3k discount but I don't know if that takes into consideration any p/x or extras on the new car?

You must be very very lucky. Over all the 44 years I have been buying and selling cars, I have never ever met a dealer who will give you top book or more on a p/ex (good price?) and offered a discount on retail for the purchase. One or the other yes, but never both. I have worked in the trade, and if the MRRP of new unregistered car is say £20K ,and Glasses guide values a p/ex at £10K, the dealer may eventually offer you £12k (after starting off at £10k). In essence all he is doing is discounting the new car by £2000 and giving that on the p/ex so the customer "thinks" he has a good deal.

If you are fortunate in not having a p/ex, then yes, a discount is nearly always available. I know that there are sometimes "special" discounted cars on some new deals from volume makers like Ford, who do advertise a hefty discount on MRRP and will give you a normal p/ex, but there wont be any further discount if p/exing. A new Yeti is a different matter!

You must be very very lucky. Over all the 44 years I have been buying and selling cars, I have never ever met a dealer who will give you top book or more on a p/ex (good price?) and offered a discount on retail for the purchase. One or the other yes, but never both. I have worked in the trade, and if the MRRP of new unregistered car is say £20K ,and Glasses guide values a p/ex at £10K, the dealer may eventually offer you £12k (after starting off at £10k). In essence all he is doing is discounting the new car by £2000 and giving that on the p/ex so the customer "thinks" he has a good deal.

If you are fortunate in not having a p/ex, then yes, a discount is nearly always available. I know that there are sometimes "special" discounted cars on some new deals from volume makers like Ford, who do advertise a hefty discount on MRRP and will give you a normal p/ex, but there wont be any further discount if p/exing. A new Yeti is a different matter!

In my experience, I can usually get a 'better than book' value for my car and a discount on the new one although the discount varies from dealer to dealer. In this case, Prestons have offered around £1k more than book value for my p/x and around £2.1k off the new one all told. You can make numbers say what you want but based on the cost to change, this is what I've worked it out to be.

In this case, a discount on a Yeti is more difficult to obtain than say a Ford Mondeo where the discounts are likely to be much bigger, however, there are obviously some dealers out there that are willing to negotiate on both p/x AND new. In this case, I've yet to find another dealer that can at least match what Prestons have offered and the downside is making a relatively long journey to London and back so I'd like to find a dealer that's closer to me.

The DtD price is based on buying new only and doesn't take into consideration any p/x against it. Even so, there doesn't seem to be any other dealer, so far, that is willing to give a £2k+ discount on a new Yeti L&K even before we start discussions about the p/x but I've made a few calls this afternoon so I'm playing the waiting game at the moment. This includes dealers that have been known to work with DtD before although this doesn't necessarily mean they're in this scheme at present.

FWIW I bought from DtD 7 years ago when their dealer was Simpsons, basically DtD take a commission from the dealer and pass you onto the dealer who confirmed my order was placed in the Skoda system within 24 hours. I had no further contact with DtD and Simpsons where impeccable and couldn't have been better. In fact I did know who the dealer was before placing the order and they would not match the DtD price in order to 'cut out the middle man'.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I've always got a good trade in and a discount on the two yeti's i've brought from garland motors in Aldershot.

Br

JeZ

What do you class as a "good" trade in?

Of course you can make figures say what you want them to, but the dealer will always be on the winning side.

If a dealer offers you a £2k (10%) discount on a new £20k car, he may give you bottom book on your car (which he will sell on in the trade for the same money, after first getting it underwritten - unless it is a make he sells), and the customer may think that is a "good" price. On the other hand he can give you no discount (on paper), but give you top book on a p/ex, which in reality could be £2k more than bottom book. Whichever way you look at it, and to quote scottpcs, all that matters is the price to change.

However, there is no way in the world that a dealer will give you a good discount (although he may say that he is), and an inflated (good price) p/ex figure - it makes no commercial sense to do such a thing, and unless you have been or are involved in car sales, Joe Public will never understand the devious methods most dealers use to close a sale.

Of course you can make figures say what you want them to, but the dealer will always be on the winning side.

If a dealer offers you a £2k (10%) discount on a new £20k car, he may give you bottom book on your car (which he will sell on in the trade for the same money, after first getting it underwritten - unless it is a make he sells), and the customer may think that is a "good" price. On the other hand he can give you no discount (on paper), but give you top book on a p/ex, which in reality could be £2k more than bottom book. Whichever way you look at it, and to quote scottpcs, all that matters is the price to change.

However, there is no way in the world that a dealer will give you a good discount (although he may say that he is), and an inflated (good price) p/ex figure - it makes no commercial sense to do such a thing, and unless you have be

en or are involved in car sales, Joe Public will never understand the devious methods most dealers use to close a sale.

I knew this would happen....oh well over a 1k off and book price on my existing one...i thought it was good...i could do the drive a deal cut the penies etc, but like i buy my meat from the butcher i keep it local and support the local guy.

JeZ

However, there is no way in the world that a dealer will give you a good discount (although he may say that he is), and an inflated (good price) p/ex figure - it makes no commercial sense to do such a thing, and unless you have been or are involved in car sales, Joe Public will never understand the devious methods most dealers use to close a sale.

Truthseeker is spot on.

My latest Yeti I got for cash at 12% discount, (the dealer says they only made £350 on the sale.)

They offered me £12,250 on my current Yeti as PX, but I was offerred £12,900 by 'we buy any car' and eventually sold it for £13,050 to a local dealer and that was with a damaged wing.

So if you can afford to do it best go for a cash purchase at best discount and sell you car privately (good luck with that) or ring around dealers for the best price.

The whole thing is a big game and changes constantly depending on the dealer and how much stock they have in and if they have targets to meet and your purchase might just swing it.

Dont be fooled by what appears to be great PX deal see beyond that to what you are really paying.

Easier said that done I know which is why the whole process is a bit of a black art!

• Like 2

I knew this would happen....oh well over a 1k off and book price on my existing one...i thought it was good...i could do the drive a deal cut the penies etc, but like i buy my meat from the butcher i keep it local and support the local guy.

JeZ

I'm all for keeping business local but when my local doesn't show me the interest In me that I expect from a loyal customer then I'll take my business somewhere else. When there's a sufficient enough difference on the deal to take it elsewhere then I'm not (literally) paying the priviledge of keeping my business local!

There are other dealers who will quite happily take that business and make one happy customer in the process.

• Like 1

fuzzybunny also makes some valid points and just for clarification, I'm not basing my deal on the table on what I'm getting for my p/x. To me, it's all about the cost to change as I've already said and it's this figure that makes or breaks a deal.

Have you tried contacting the forum Sponsors?

I personally use Preston Motors and find them very good for deals on cars and trade in prices.

Did get mentioned way back in the thread...I recall the OP has done so and has responded with their findings.

Interesting to see different peoples take on this and the variation in how much you can and can't pay.

Might be restating a point made previously but when I'm looking to buy new and p/x it's the cost to change I focus on when deciding of Im about to sign on the dotted line.

If I get £2k off list price or £2k more on my trade in I'm not all that fussed wher the numbers add up just so long as my cost to change target figure is met.

I don't give a monkeys where a dealer massages their numbers, I look at the cost to change and that alone.

• Like 2

I'm all for keeping business local but when my local doesn't show me the interest In me that I expect from a loyal customer then I'll take my business somewhere else. When there's a sufficient enough difference on the deal to take it elsewhere then I'm not (literally) paying the priviledge of keeping my business local!

There are other dealers who will quite happily take that business and make one happy customer in the process.

Yeah that goes without saying.....the proof in the pudding in all of this is guessing if the dealer is wanting to do a deal...i push hard walk away wait a few days buy cars at unusual times etc...i've never met a dealer that wasn't prepared to do a deal. I've even met two completely differing sales guys in the same dealerships one that will do a deal, one that doesn't. In in all if you don't do the groundwork before entering a dealership then you're a fool. Have the info at the ready and for every one person that you find that does this, there are 9 others that don't

Br

JeZ

.i've never met a dealer that wasn't prepared to do a deal.

Br

JeZ

You haven't met my local fella then. Lovely bloke but a couple hundred quid off and a promise of a phone call after he'd had time to see if anything more could be 'squeezed' out....... followed by no phone call. Hence going to Marlborough Skoda and getting a couple of grand off.

I've come across ones that do no discounts at all. Guildford springs to mind when my cousin wanted a Yeti.

They obviously rely on people who have no interest in internet research and will pay them a big fat profit margin on the car, so even though they sell less it works out.

Sad thing is, because they pay more these people suffer greater depreciation too.

• Like 1