vRS Engine-Life Expectancy

Me too!! And for the record, how long is a good 'simmering down' period? As when I do remember I still feel like a pillock sitting in my car on the drive staring at the house for ages :D

i find the easiest way is to just cruise the last mile or two then let it idle while i'm getting ready to get out - getting phone etc and taking sat nav off dash , any amount of time like that is better than none .

if i forget and shut it off , i'll just restart and idle it for a short while - still better than leaving it hot (IMHO)

• 3 years later...
I always did this with the Fabia when I had it, and out of habit, I've done it with the Golf, but I never thought it was neccesary unless the car has a turbo?

So is there no point in doing this idling in a petrol?

I've a X Reg 2.6 V6 Omega Auto with almost 150k on the clock, and the Octaiva has got 119k on a 54 plate. Octavia runs sweet as a nut, did 18k in 3 months according to service history. The clutch and the Dual Mass flywheel did 108k before being replaced.

Shame the company using it, never looked after it too well inside.

Edited by Browny_37

I would say driving hard from cold is only a small part of engine life. perhaps a 5 minute ragging might knock 100 miles off the ultimate engine life, if that. The engine's warm quite quick, so its probably only 2 minutes when bad damage could be done

I disagree - a good mate and colleague lived about 2/3 mile from the office, but had a company Toyota Avensis 1.8 vvti. He would regularly pop home for lunch, leave the office, walk out to the car (parked on the kerb facing home), turn the key and redline it away down the hill from a cold start. He had a new engine due to a big-end failure inside 10k. I think this is probably a record of some sort. :eek:

Edit: The ancient post curse gets me finally :doh:

Taxis always seem to do bigger mileages because their engines stay close to operating temperature for long periods (thats why airlines keep the jet engines running even when the plane is not due to be used for a while - it prelongs their life).

I doubt that with the airlines......:confused:

I certainly would not think that the airlines keep the main engines running after they have come to rest at the gate, they will switch to the APU Engine in the tail for power or plug into the ground.

The ground crew won't go near it until the engines are at rest.

.....I wouldn't want to be loading food and baggage on there with a Rolls Royce ticking over and I don't think they can have engines running at the gate while refueling.....If they got a leak.....BOOM :eek:

Yeppers, engines shut down and APU used when on the apron. At least they are here. Ragging an engine from cold is not a good idea. Given that the most wear on an engine tends to happen before it's warmed up anyway (look up differential expansion:) ), hammering it before it's warm is asking for trouble. Also, mate with a disco reckons that you should still allow a turbo'd car to idle before shut off (yeah I know disco's are agricultural) - it's better safe than sorry IMO.

A well looked after engine may even outlast the bodyshell...

I agree, a well looked after PD130 engine should easily do 300k+. Don't expect to do all those miles on the original turbo and clutch though, and of course the car will fall to bits too :P

The owners manual for my Toyota Verso 2.2 D4D explains that the engine should be idled for 1 minute after leaving a motorway/fast usage etc to assist turbo life. Not sure about the Fabia, have never got round the reading the manual in 4 years...

Me too!! And for the record, how long is a good 'simmering down' period? As when I do remember I still feel like a pillock sitting in my car on the drive staring at the house for ages :D

My mate had a camper van with a 2.5 tdi. THe prior owner had installed some sort of gadget that kept the engine running for about 15 seconds after the ignition had been switched off to allow the turbo to cool down........

My vrs will be showing 100,000 miles by the end of september and its still going strong, only problem weve had with it since we got it was the Flywheel was shot and was replaced under warranty along with the clutch about 3000 miles ago, and just a few common faults like turbo pipe popping off and rear wash pipe other than that its great!!

Ohh and it an 04 plate and it gets serviced regulary