Which fibre broadband company do you use?

AJ7788

BT have stated that from the first of February 2013 they no longer have a Fair use policy in place on their unlimited products, and also traffic shaping on P2P has now been removed. Therefore on BT now called "Truly unlimited" service with BT infinity and infinity 2, you now get all the bandwidth available all the time, regardless of what you are doing.

Good on them. They have been forced to do this however rather than choose to. Given the choice they would still have a total monopoly over cabling infrastructure and we would all still be on dial-up. Competition is good for us though but can everyone please stop posting up speedtest.net results as im jealous as hell. 55mb/s is ridiculous. I get 16mb/s and everyone i work with is jealous of me as this is a great speed up here. I get upload of 1mb/s which i also thought was awesome.

If anyone know Aberdeen and know Bridge of Don they will know what im speaking about. My mates there get 1-2mb/s download and 0.2mb/s upload. My mate in Oldmeldrum has to leave his xbox on overnight to download the map packs for call of duty LOL.

a7788, you won't be sorry you went to Virgin I'm sure. I've been with them for many years after trying BT & Sky. I know it's a continually evolving thing but Virgin has never let me down unlike Sky and BT. Price is pretty good too. I have the whole package with Virgin...tv, bb, and phone and I get a good discount. I have the 60mbit package and get that speed or more all the time pretty much. I'm waiting for an upgrade to my upload speed which is pending anytime now. The main thing I've found about Virgin is the reliability of their network. It's so so much better than copper in the ground with almost no downtime ever. Customer service is brilliant if you ever have to phone them. At least that has been my experience and it's completely different to the experiences I've had with Sky and BT. Good luck with your purchase.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to give an update, had Virgin installed in the end. Went for the 30mb connection - installation was fine with no issues at all.

With wired connection to the super hub I get 32mb, wireless connection I get between 24 and 28 which is perfectly fine.

Did have an issue with the link continually dropping but disabled the WPS and it has been fine since then.

Only other issue I have is that either Virgin blocks microsoft VPN's or the super hub doesn't work properly (a lot of other people having the same issue). To get it to work you need to change the super hub to modem mode, which disables wireless and all ports except 1 which is meant to go to a router.

Just thought I'd share my experience so it could help someone else in the future. :)

[snip]

Only other issue I have is that either Virgin blocks microsoft VPN's or the super hub doesn't work properly (a lot of other people having the same issue). To get it to work you need to change the super hub to modem mode, which disables wireless and all ports except 1 which is meant to go to a router.

[snip]

I have the SuperHub set up in modem mode, with a gigabit Netgear doing the honours instead. Microsoft VPN works fine on that. Just waiting for the speed boost and increase in upload speed (finally) sometime in the summer.

• Like 1

2611716140.png

plusnet, no problems, downloads on p2p very quick.

I had sky, no longer required before I went fibre, makes it much easier and quicker now :)

unlimited so no download limits either

Speedtest_zps2cb0b674.png

Have been thinking about Fibre, but we're about 4 miles away from the exchange. We've had our grass verge dug up so many times to dry out a wet joint that we now have our own box dug into the verge.

I don't actually understand what all the figures mean, but if I'm doing anything busy like uploading video to youtube it's painful.

Gaz

So your upload speed is half of one meg per second, my sky fibre connection for example is 10 meg per second. Your download speed is nearly 5 meg, mine is 39. In practice what this means is everything is really quick and easy. Especially uploads where the jump is greater.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I don't actually understand what all the figures mean, but if I'm doing anything busy like uploading video to youtube it's painful.

In addition to Dom's sound explanation, the numbers are basically the transfer rate (measured in megabits per second), ie how much data can be pulled (download) or pushed (upload) through the connection. If you divide this number by 8, you'll get the theoretical max megabyte per second which you can relate to how long it would take to download/upload a file - bigger numbers are better. The ping is the time a small roundtrip "hello" packet to the server takes from the time it is sent to the time you receive a "hello" response. Measure in milliseconds and the lower the better for a "more responsive" connection.

Chris

• Like 1

Gaz

My speeds used to be slower than yours. I struggled to watch iplayer it was so slow. Now we hit download on sky on demand and seconds later we're watching the movie.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very jealous, I really wish I could get FTTC-

I used to have Virgin and BT ADSL, BT really slow and virgin really unreliable. I moved house and now have even slower BT ADSL and a TooWay bi-directional satelite link.

The sat link is slow to get started (~800ms latency) so no use for VOIP or gaming but gives a steady 20mb down/6mb up.