Advice for police interview...

There wasn't anything particularly difficult about the interview when I did mine. The interview was relatively predictable stuff with "give examples of..." questions and the usual "why do you want to be a police officer".

One that I do remember having to stop and think about was "what group or type of people would you find it most challenging to interact with". There's no right or wrong answer (unless you say something daft like "Pakis") but you do need to be able to justify your choice, and they'll probably then ask you "what about <different group of people>" so you can then explain why your experience in <whatever> would help you.

We also had to do an assesment day with various individual activities (test of oberservational skills for example) or group ones where you are asked to reach a consensus on something. Don't be afraid to disagree with people, but do have reasons that you can explain, and where you do disagree do so in a professional and respectful fashion.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Zoidberg- thank you! I'm doing a fair bit of prep tonight and also having 'man day' on Sunday with a mate who's in the force, just to get an idea.

The rest of you, thanks for the smiles. :D

It does somewhat throw a spanner in the works though- I was looking at moving to Suffolk with one of my best mates, another solid job offer (as far as I know), cheap place to live, etc. Just trying to weigh up the pros and cons...

Both jobs:

- pay well (around a 25-30% increase on what I'm on now)

- involve relocating and living with a best friend (feel like breaking free a bit as I feel massively stuck in a rut)

- are sustainable (police, duh. Insurance for the other one, as a claims handler/Audatex engineer)

- are less hours than my current job, for extra money

- are ultimately appealing to me, and interesting

If I get offered both, I have no idea what to do.

The police is a very unusual job. You'll see and do stuff that most people won't. Insurance is just a job. I only did a few years as a plod as it wasn't really for me but I'm very glad I did. If you turn it down you'll always wonder "what if..."

• Like 1

Yes, that's what appeals. I currently do an odd job- I'm a land surveyor- and I love being outdoors and having different days/scenery every day. Office work tends to bore me, as I'm quite an... energetic person. As I'm sure anyone who's met me will attest to!

I'll carry on the application process for both, but the insurance one I can probably realistically come back to at any time as it's besty's mother who runs the company. We'll see I guess! My head's a sieve at the moment, got so much to think about. Any other opinions/input/help greatly appreciated. :)

Lots of preparation on interview technique and a look at your forces leadership expectations as these normally feature.

And of course the usual "why you want to be in the job. What you expect to be doing on a day to day basis" and a bit of knowledge about your force.

• Like 1

Vlad -try asking same question on Pistonheads ( http://www.pistonheads.com/) on the SP& L forum . You;ll have to register ,but from what I've seen there's a few serving blokes on there and they do tend to help .

• Like 1

Best advice i can give you about tour interview is to be you. They'll see through you if you try to be anything else!

Best other piece of advice (besides don't do it as the job's f*@%£d is make sure you are aware of the proposals the government have that will royally shaft cops who thought they were getting a good pension.

Good luck.

I worked for the local force for a while but a long time ago. Be thorough with your answers and pleasant. You'll meet all sorts if you get the job and it'll be far more of an eye opener than the insurance one.

• Like 1

Is it an interview or the centrex (NPIA) assessment centre? Or have you already done the assessment and this is the final interview board?

All questions in any police recruitment relate to the seven core competencies, answer all questions in the star format:

S situation

T task that needed doing

A action you took

R result

Is it an interview or the centrex (NPIA) assessment centre? Or have you already done the assessment and this is the final interview board?

All questions in any police recruitment relate to the seven core competencies, answer all questions in the star format:

S situation

T task that needed doing

A action you took

R result

S situation

T task that needed doing

A action you took

R result

• Like 1

Chris- cheers- other best mate is in the force and we're having a sit-down on Sunday :)

VWD- I'm quite an established member there, should've thought of that! :giggle:

From what I've seen -those blokes WANT to help . If some bloke wants to ask- I'm an old NHW bloke - who sees the benefit of decent on force.

• Like 1

... as a job, not for being a criminal. :D

Anyone taken part/happy to offer tips? Got a couple of weeks to prepare, which I won't waste!

Don't walk in "flashing" your hand above your head saying... "nick, nick, nick"... ;)

Best to speak with your mate about his interview or anyone else you can find that's done it recently. My mate found he was rejected because he wasn't answering the questions in the way they would like. His answers were too blunt and they wanted more narrative. Other forces have different criteria.

• 2 weeks later...

First interview went pretty well (I think!), just got to wait to hear back about the fitness test now. :)

Fingers crossed!!

Good luck mate. It is a good job. Don.t let the merchants of doom, gloom and ignorance put you off.

• Like 2

My younger brother is a snowdrop, RAF Police, (Has a vRS Fabia BTW) and he says you get a lot of satisfaction cleaning someone elses blood from handcuffs.... And a buzz the first time you pull your gun on someone, but being a civvy policeman I doubt you would get one of those, maybe a taser... probably more fun one of those, at least you wont kill anyone.

I think you will have fun if you get in.