Both Heated Seats stopped working

Hi all, tried a search but nothing of note came up.

Both the heated seats have failed it seems, so before I start tearing the seats apart (done this before on cloth seats and it was a mission, so gawd knows what job it is on leather) is there anything obvious to check and to look at?

Fuse 37 seems ok and thus far no errors flagged in vcds (might be a heated seat section). I would assume if it was a seat element break only one seat would fail?

Guessing it could be the control HVAC module but does anyone have a wiring diagram to test on? Being electric seats there are plenty of wires reaching them.

Cheers!

Cheers, but cant see both failing at the same time to be honest, especially since passenger isnt used as much.

Think there are 6 wires going to the seats, not inc the air bags so will see what voltages I get from them. Guessing if i find a voltage coming in from when the rotary switch is on I can test ohms on that circuit and test for a break/short out.

Tested a few wires and found that both seats have a supply of 12v to them, though on the other wires there is nothing, even though the barrel dial is set to 1 or more. the HVAC unit is £533 + VAT :o

Opened up the dash to look at the back of the HVAC and nothing obvious, no fuse on there to check. There were around 30 wires and without a wiring diagram it's going to be hard to test!

Pic if of the components, so others could find this useful.

post-40219-0-51790700-1360019781_thumb.png

I can see why this HVAC component is worth 500 pictures of the Queen:

20-pin plug connection A

Sunlight penetration photosensor 2 -G134- or Sunlight penetration photosensor -G107- , signal

High-pressure sender -G65-

Sunlight penetration photosensor 2 -G134- or Sunlight penetration photosensor -G107- , signal

CAN databus High (comfort)

CAN databus Low (comfort)

+ 5V for sunlight penetration photosensor 2 -G134- or sunlight penetration photosensor -G107-

Left seat heating (optional)

Right seat heating (optional)

Terminal 75A

Vent temperature sender, left -G150-

Vent temperature sender, right -G151-

Terminal 30A

Ground sensors

Regulating valve for compressor, air conditioning system -N280-

Terminal 31

Terminal 15A

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16-pin plug connection B

+ 5V for control motors

Potentiometer - left control motor for temperature flap -G220-

Potentiometer - right control motor for temperature flap -G221-

Potentiometer in defroster flap control motor -G135-

Potentiometer - central flap control motor -G112-

Potentiometer in recirculated air flap control motor -G143-

Potentiometer - air flow flap control motor -G113-

Vent temperature sender, left footwell -G261-

Vent temperature sender, right footwell -G262-

Temperature sensor - fresh-air intake duct -G89-

Evaporator vent temperature sender -G263-

Potentiometer signal ground

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16-pin plug connection C

Left temperature flap control motor -V158-

Left temperature flap control motor -V158-

Defroster flap control motor -V107-

Defroster flap control motor -V107-

Control motor for centre flap -V70- , person flow

Control motor for centre flap -V70- , footwell

Re-circulating air flap control motor -V113- , re-circulating air actuation

Re-circulating air flap control motor -V113- , fresh air actuation

Control motor for stored pressure flap -V71-

Control motor for stored pressure flap -V71-

Right temperature flap control motor -V159-

Right temperature flap control motor -V159-

Fresh air blower -V2-

Fresh air blower - V2- , signal

post-40219-0-04798800-1360025818_thumb.png

With much thanks to Mikeholroyd they are now working! You are a legend!

The fault was with the Heated Seat Controller 1Z0959772C

No fault shown in VCDS for this which was odd!

This little box is located under the passenger seat, on the same side as the handle to move the seat back and forth. This controller looks after both front heated seats.

post-40219-0-17610900-1360160075_thumb.jpg

post-40219-0-11667100-1360160081_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This any good? Fuse 37 was the one I had to check on mine.

If the fuse ok, I'd next look at the heated seat controller under the passenger seat. Controls both seats.

post-40219-0-19535500-1360840045_thumb.jpg

post-40219-0-31840000-1360840050_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

We have just recently had the drivers side stop working but the passenger side is fine in our mid 2008 rhd rs. I would imagine it isn't a fuse as from what I can tell the two involved would take out both.

We have been sharing driving in this car a bit lately so the seat has gone up and down 8 pumps about 10 times in 2 mths. Fluid just be coincidence. I looked under the seat and couldn't see anything obviously pulled out or pinched. With the crazy prices dealers charge here I'm not sure if I'd be tossing money away getting them to check what it is. I'm thinking a local independent might be a better choice but still don't want to chuck money away for no reason. It's a maze of wires under there so not sure what ones to check. Being no elements appear to be working I'm wondering if its the main block connector under the seatL

• 2 years later...

This little box is located under the passenger seat, on the same side as the handle to move the seat back and forth. This controller looks after both front heated seats.

Glad all is sorted -- Briskoda strikes again!

For those who are wondering how i was involved, I gave Chris the controller box/relay that was removed from my leather seats when I did the interior upgrade on mine!

Best wishes

Mike

Hi guys,

My 'new' Skoda Octavia Facelift Laurin and Klement Estate has really weak seat heat from BOTH FRONT SEATS.

It warms up a tiny bit on 3-dots; enough to make me think that they worked before I bought the vehicle.

However, I didn't leave them on longer than about 2-minutes and it's now pretty obvious that they're not preforming fully.

2-dots is negligible.

1-dot is non-existent... a bit like a tiny kitten has lay on the seat for about 5-seconds, got bored, then ran off.

Basically, I was hoping for more heat for my aged back in the winterness.

Help. Me. Please.

:)

Edited by waynef
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hi,

can you tell me how did you test the controller?

I have a problem with driver seat, it does not work at all.

thanks in advance.
Edited by emirnela

Hi there, sorry was unable to test the controller, and nothing was showing up as far as an error in VCDS either so it was pot luck another member on here sent me the controller he had and it fixed both seats.

When I stripped down my controller I couldn't see anything that resembled a fault, nothing charred or black etc.

If you have just one seat not working it might be better to first test for blown fuses and then check you are getting voltage the seat by checking the wires underneath.

• 1 month later...

New here , have just posted in the intro section :-)

My elegance appears to have heated leather seats (controls for them when you press the Climatronic buttons) but both do not get hot.

Fuses are fitted and are fine so am looking at the controller 

Can someone tell me exactly where it is ? I can't seem to find it !

Many thanks

• Like 1

just had a look and i think i have found it  - held in by one torx screw by the looks of it. I think as I had just replaced the BT module under drivers seat i was automatically looking in the same place on other side

thats my excuse anyway !

i will get it out at weekend and inspect it

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. Sorry for hyjacking this topic. Where may this module be located on 2010 superb with electric seats with memory and heating.

Relay seems to be stuck on and has current draw.

Even with car turned off. Doors locked, passenger front seat heats up and draw is about 5 amps.

Disconnecting fuses did the trick but i could not locate the controller.. Nut under both seats neither.. :/