Collapsed Drivers Seat Bolster.......Anyone else had this happen?

Bought my Octi a month ago, and whilst cleaning it the other day noticed that the drivers seat looks slightly out of shape, looks like a collapsed bolster.

Been to see the dealers today and they said that they will look into it and see what parts might be needed and get back to me to book the car in. What I'm concerned about is that leather and stitching on that bolster is showing signs of wear which I'm sure is to do with it being in the wrong place therefore catching on clothes etc but wonder weather they will be prepared to sort this out too.

The car by the way is 11 months old with 10k on the clock.

I think it would be easier for you to ask who hasn't suffered from this well known and well documented issue on the vRS.

It'll be covered under warranty.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Yes, my 2010 car had that problem, twice!

Fixed under warranty both times. It's a poor design, the airbag has plastic flanges that support the foam - these just aren't strong enough and are easily broken. Apparently the last time mine was done the dealer did say that there was a revised part that should last better.

• Like 1

I had this on my 2011 Octavia vRS. I was always careful at getting in and out of the seat, but it just seemed to wear prematurely.

The rest of the interior looked brand new, just the drivers bolster looked worn. I think the seats aren't the best quality and a well known problem.

I was going to see whether they would repair under warranty but ended up trading for a new S4. Now the supersports seats in this are in another league........

Hope you get it sorted. Certainly worth pressing the dealer for a repair :)

• Like 1

I think it would be easier for you to ask who hasn't suffered from this well known and well documented issue on the vRS.

It'll be covered under warranty.

I wasn't worried about the warranty aspect of things in general, its just the workshop manager looked very confused and said he has never heard of this issue but of course did agree there was something wrong. Do you think when it comes to it I should demand for the bolster cover itself to be sorted too?

Yes, my 2010 car had that problem, twice!

Fixed under warranty both times. It's a poor design, the airbag has plastic flanges that support the foam - these just aren't strong enough and are easily broken. Apparently the last time mine was done the dealer did say that there was a revised part that should last better.

Twice!!!!! :swear:

Edited by Semka

• 1 year later...

Guys any one have this resolved out of Warranty?

I'm concerned about the effectiveness of the airbag given that it may not be in the correct position. 

Does anyone know the part number of the revised part and whats involved in fitting it?

Guys any one have this resolved out of Warranty?

I'm concerned about the effectiveness of the airbag given that it may not be in the correct position. 

Does anyone know the part number of the revised part and whats involved in fitting it?

This thread was on the Octavia vRS seats. I have no idea on the part numbers etc. If in a hurry try John Mullholland in Randlestown, they should be helpful in identifying the part and it's subsequent revision. 

This thread was on the Octavia vRS seats. I have no idea on the part numbers etc. If in a hurry try John Mullholland in Randlestown, they should be helpful in identifying the part and it's subsequent revision.

Cheers my man, just changes to a OCtavia VRS with this issue :) would be keen to have it fixed.

The other two Skoda garages over here didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

• 1 month later...

I also have an issue with the drivers seat foam collapsing. When you describe the bolster do you mean the side of the seat that would keep your upper body in the seat or the the lower section of the seat which sits next to your thighs.

The support next to my right thigh is completely flattened and the leather all creased. Is this the same fault that eveyone esle is having ??

I have my car booked in on Monday for service and I have asked them to look at it as well. Just trying to get as much information as possible on the problems  in case they turn around stating .... fair wear and tear !

Any advice would be great ! 

anyone got any pics of these collapsed bolsters? mine is looking pretty creased and somewhat flat, but would like a pic to refer to?

thanks

I've got mine booked in with Skoda in Randles town at the end of this month, the service/warranty guy i spoke to was aware of this and the price will be in the region of £140 to have fixxed with the revised part. 

I would imagine it will not be replacing foam or fabric. 

On mine there is a clear difference between the drivers and passenger upright (back) bolsters So you will be able to see the difference. 

I will provide pictures before and after the fix :) 

My seat bolster collapsed. But i did'nt noticed it. I complained to my local skoda dealer because the leather was damaged. When they replaced it under warranty they found the seat airbag and foam to be faulty. Now the car is going back later this month for a fix. Dont know if they will replace whole seat or just some parts and leather.

I wasn't worried about the warranty aspect of things in general, its just the workshop manager looked very confused and said he has never heard of this issue but of course did agree there was something wrong.

Point the workshop manager to TPI 2024859/1 dated 26-Nov-2010 which deals with 'Deformation of the outer side part of the front seat back rest'.  This  repair is carried out within the vehicle warranty and may, in the worst case, involve replacing the side airbag if the guide rail on its cover is damaged, and also the backrest cover if irreversibly damaged.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I had this replaced last week at the cost of £169 by Skoda in Randlestown. 

I was initially quoted £800+ for the repair as they'd be replacing the air bag, cover and padding. I almost choked as you might expect. 

So after instructing them to only fit the replacement part, here are the pictures before and after. #

Before: 

F3B725AB-2D45-4873-A6C8-EF70A2455B8D.jpgFEAA851E-DA83-4C5E-9778-D1F01FF15814.jpg

After:

90BC3A9A-67B6-4BB9-8393-7974D5480738.jpg

Verdict, much much better the bolster is no longer prodding me in the side and the seat is much more comfortable.

Edited by Gobsheene

• 2 months later...

Can the right hand side bolster on the drivers sest be repaired or is it necessarry to replace the whole seat ?

How do you get this done under warranty on an 18 month old Octavia VRS when the dealer claims you will have to pay for replacement ?

This was a known issue at least 5 years ago there was a very long thread in @ 2010/11 print off and use as a lever.

I had mine repaired under warranty as were many others.

£800?????? Mine was done in an afternoon.

The repair lasted at least 3 years/50k and was ok when I sold car in September.

Try a different dealer

How do you get this done under warranty on an 18 month old Octavia VRS when the dealer claims you will have to pay for replacement ?

This isn't a seat and backrest cover wear and tear problem for which warranty cover would be restricted to 6 months or 6500 miles (whichever is the soonest). It is an internal design fault of the seat for which there is an official fix. Remind the dealer of the TPI which I quoted in my Post #19 above.