Sky to free view

Jane_i10

You dont need a FREESAT box - which will limit you to the FREESAT channel list only, there are 1,000s of FTA (free to air) receivers out there; I have a cheap "SkyBox" model, which records to a USB stick.

A Freesat box gets you the EPG and red button stuff, the FTA ones don't, they just have 'now and next'. With some Freesat boxes you get the FTA capability as well as the Freesat capability (i.e. not limited at all). All depends what you want and how much you want to pay.

• Like 1

I agree to a certain extent; it really depends what the budget is; a Humax will cost how much?? A cheap FTA that records to USB costs from £30-£50; in fact Screwfix were doing a complete FTA system - dish, receiver and all the cables and fixings - for £30 back at the beginning of December.

Right so im getting confused now, i ring up and cancel Sky, my sky box will work as before but all the channels exclusive to Sky will go off but all freesat ones will remain?

Yes BUT.... some of the free channels arent on sky... its a joke.

Your best bet is cancel sky, unplug the box and remove the aerial going into the box, go to currys or online and order a freesat box wether its one to record programmes or just watch them plug box in, plug aerial into box and away you go.

I did this for my mother she was the same she barely watched tv occasionally recorded tv and it had to be HD lol.

So we got her this http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/sandstrom-shdfsat12-freesat-hd-recorder-500gb-15557208-pdt.html

Ah right i see, so the Sky wire that goes to the dish will fit into any freesat/free vew box?

Only a freesat box not a freeview box ( you need a terrestrial aerial installed for that).

You can get SD freesat boxes for about £30 and HD ones for about £70.

It'll depend to some extent on what sort of signal you have where you live as this will determine how powerful the aerial will need to be. Things like how much cable they'll use and how much wiring either external or internal they'll do will be a factor and If you're going to feed more than 1 TV you will probably need some sort of splitting amplifier too. You'll probably be best off ringing a couple of local fitters, tell them where you live and how many TV's you want to feed and where they are in the house and they'll give you an idea of what it'll cost.

Here you go Emma.

Can't go wrong at this price,

This is exactly what I use and am thrilled with it. Have it with 4 years now, Last year I hooked up a second dish to get RTL ( F1 racing for when BBC not showing them )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUMAX-FOXSAT-FREESAT-HD-SATELLITE-RECEIVER-/271154126265?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item3f220b9db9

@ Ema_Jane, I think before you make any decision you should look at what channels are available from the different providers. They don't both offer the same channels. So, if you like Dave, Really, Yesterday and Quest then you need Freeview or Freeview+ if you want to pause, rewind and record. If you want CBS Action, Drama etc and some extra film channels then go for Freesat or Freesat+. A lot of Freesat boxes have the ability to let you watch BBCiPlayer when connected to the t'internet (counts toward your internet usage) and as mentioned record to an external USB stick or an external HDD. The YouView box is another option, you'll need a rooftop/ loft mounted High Gain antenna for that and Freeview/ Freeview+ though. Youview also has twin tuners so you can watch and record simultaneously, pause rewind live telly and if connected to the t'internet you can get iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD and Demand 5, and BT Vision films and pay per view stuff though watching on demand/PPV stuff will count towards your internet usage so unless on an unlimited package, you need to be wary how much on demand stuff you watch. Hope that's clear enough :sweat: If it was me I'd get Freeview+ or Youview If you're with BT, you can sign up to a contract and get the Youview box free and if you're with BT, the on demand stuff doesn't count towards your downloads AFAIK (my BT vision box doesn't and Youview via BT is the next box upgrade essentially).

Freesat from Sky channels

Freeview channels

Freesat channels

Youview channels

• 1 month later...

Also a Freesat box can be programmed to watch the freesat from sky channels giving you the best of both

Can it? How? Can I then get Dave, Quest etc via Freesat?

To summarise;-

Freeview = need a aerial installing. What channels you get depends on where you live as some parts only get Freeview Lite (main channels only.) To record programmes you would need to buy another box (ie. FOX T2 HDR ; Youview -both would give you HD channels and recording, Fox T2 would give you iplayer and Youview gives Iplayer, 4OD, 5ondemand and ITVplayer - but they need a Internet connection )

Freesat From Sky - pay for viewing card and use existing box - can't record.

You can still use the existing sky box and get Freesat Channels without paying the viewing card , thats the best way to start and if you find some lost channels you rearly need , then go for the Sky viewing card route .

Freesat - buy new Freesat Box replaces Sky box connects to existing dish (no adjustments required). If you get one that can record gives similar functions to a Sky HD+ box. (ie. FOXSAT HDR or Freetime boxes - both of these give iPlayer and ITVplayer with an internet connection - although the ITVplayer is a bit flaky on the FOXSAT - 5 and Channel 4 ondemand catchup sevices are promised for the freetime box - but don't hold your breath)

I have a FOX T2 HD (it hasn't got a built in Hard Disc - but you can add a external USB Hard drive and record - but only one channel at once) and will act as a DLNA media player when connected to a network and a Foxsat HDR with customised firmware which allows web access, to act a a Media server (via Twonky). You can easily copy SD recordings off the FOXSAT (by network or USB) to play on PC. HD recordings are more problematic as they are encrypted.

What the difference between freeview and freesat? (channel wise)

Not all Freeview channels are on Freesat and vice versa . Very similar except for numbering sceme . I've got a mix of old and new . Ex sky dish to a Free sat box ,to TV via an old VCR( means I can record Free sat stuff). Humax Set top box (dual channel) . Orv if i record two channels on Free view, I can usually watch another on Free Sat .

On the topic of Free sat kits - some dishes are not all good quality . And if you wish to record ( and buy a freesat recorder) then you'll need a dual LNB. For Freeview you'll need a wideband aerial to get all channels with decent signal . I'm only approx 20 miles from Sutton coldfield and found a vast difference in using a wideband aerial .

For both aerials and dishes you can get signal strength meters at low cost . ( If you can mount the aerial at a lower point than chimney top).

I have a solution to the different channel mix between DVB-T and DVB-S; I have ordered a combo receiver that does both. I just have to sneak a 2nd dish up when the wife isnt looking, and because of the stupid angle to the Astra satellite from the front of my house, I have to stand it out far enough and high enough to go over the roof, so hiding it will not be easy!!

GG-I notice a few houses down the road have their dishes pointing at funny directions. Is there another satelite I don't know off ?

GG-I notice a few houses down the road have their dishes pointing at funny directions. Is there another satelite I don't know off ?

There are HUNDREDS of satellites, but most broadcast foreign language programming, or majority foreign language programming; my first dish is pointed at 7 degrees East so that my wife can watch some Chinese language channels; it also has FTA channels for India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and various African countries.

Even the "Sky"/"FreeSat" satellite isnt actually ONE satellite, but over a dozen in close orbit.