About the only other car I'd consider next to a Yeti

Not looking to change till March 14 but starting to think about.

Santa Fe is one I will look at, others that take my interest but for more £££££s are the Passat Alltrack and Audi Allroad (may as well wait on the new Scout!) and the Evoque. However I am put off by high retail price on all three and poor mpg on the Evoque.

Will probably end up with another Yeti or go back to an Octavia vRS.

Yes, there is truth in that and I agree with most of what you say. But there is just something about this Hyundai that does it for me. It has a strong, purposeful nose whereas all the others are over designed and not this butch. I'll never get one I know. But I will test drive one for sure.

Go and lie down in a darkened room Johann, you'll get over it!!

Not looking to change till March 14 but starting to think about.

Santa Fe is one I will look at, others that take my interest but for more £££££s are the Passat Alltrack and Audi Allroad (may as well wait on the new Scout!) and the Evoque. However I am put off by high retail price on all three and poor mpg on the Evoque.

Will probably end up with another Yeti or go back to an Octavia vRS.

We've ordered an A6 Allroad due to the 2500kg towing capacity, but it is a lot more £££ than a Yeti (which is what we'd have ordered if we didn't need the extra towing ability). Still love the Yeti though, every time I drive it I'm reminded of how fundamentally "right" it is.

I test drove a Premium and wasn't too impressed with the steering amongst other things. It has 3 settings and they range from mushy to extra mushy via soggy.

For some strange reason I then travelled down to London to see a Premium SE (the only one in the country at that time) to see if the added extras could convince me to like it more. Unfortunately, whilst they were good value for money, the overall quality of the car let it down so I ruled it out.

The only car I found as good to drive as a VAG was the Evoque but the real mpg was nowhere near the claimed mpg. I eventually settled for another VAG and I'm just awaiting it being built.

Well I'm gonna wait and see if Audi actually launch the SQ3, if they do I'm gonna be at the dealer the day they open the order book, if they don't ill be choosing between theYeti2 and Octy3 VRS once they've both been launched

Go and lie down in a darkened room Johann, you'll get over it!!

We've ordered an A6 Allroad due to the 2500kg towing capacity, but it is a lot more £££ than a Yeti (which is what we'd have ordered if we didn't need the extra towing ability). Still love the Yeti though, every time I drive it I'm reminded of how fundamentally "right" it is.

The tiguan can tow 2500kg and is a lot cheaper than the Allroad. Not nearly as nice though.

The tiguan can tow 2500kg and is a lot cheaper than the Allroad. Not nearly as nice though.

Only the 140 DSG is rated at 2500kg, the others mainly 2200kg.

However there is something odd about quoted towing weights. For example;

VW Tiguan 140 DSG rated at 2500kg on 12% incline. Unladen weight 1665kg.

Audi Q5 3.0 TDI S-tronic rated at 2400kg (changed from 2000kg in early brochures) on 12% incline. Unladen weight 1860kg.

It doesn't make sense as far as I can see :wonder:

Did think an SQ5 would be nice (2400kg), but decided the horses wouldn't appreciate being towed that fast :giggle:

Only the 140 DSG is rated at 2500kg, the others mainly 2200kg.

However there is something odd about quoted towing weights. For example;

VW Tiguan 140 DSG rated at 2500kg on 12% incline. Unladen weight 1665kg.

Audi Q5 3.0 TDI S-tronic rated at 2400kg (changed from 2000kg in early brochures) on 12% incline. Unladen weight 1860kg.

It doesn't make sense as far as I can see :wonder:

Did think an SQ5 would be nice (2400kg), but decided the horses wouldn't appreciate being towed that fast :giggle:

I have always wondered what factors limit the vehicles towing weight. Surely chassis strength would need to come into it i would have thought as well as the vehicles kerbweight but what else?

My missus tows horses all the time and fom experience a heavier tow vehicle is preferred as otherwise it feels like the tail is wagging the dog so to speak.

The tiguan seems quite a small car to be capable of 2500kg so i was surprised when i discovered it and why only on the dsg version? Weird.

For me at least makers towing limits that are higher than the kerb weight of the car are of no use, for caravanners towing more than the weight of the car is a no no. For 'other towers' it may well be different.

Perhaps I'm missing something here. AFAIK, the relevant figure is the one stamped on the vehicle's rating plate. That's the one the Law will look at if they want to. This is the one, therefore, that should be quoted in the published specification. Any additional comment about 'inclines' would seem to be simply confusing - would it refer to uphill towing ability or to downhill controllability - or something else entirely?

Correct. The wheel weights (stamped on the plate at the bottom of the Yeti's B post) are exactly what a VOSA Inspector or Police inspection will look at. Anything published in a Handbook are "for advice only".

Manufacturers towing limits are based on the several factors, one of which is the ability for the vehicle to restart from a stand on a 1:8 hill, and the ability to hold that weight on said hill on the handbrake.

Back OT

I would consider the new to be yet designed baby Land Rover.

I would too. As the design of that stands I prefer it over this Hyundai.

I like that baby Land rover, will be interesting to see how it evolves. I do love car that look practical. Yeti now, X-trail before(both described by many owners as Tonka toys)

But really i like to have a car that looks different, and the baby land rover fits that bill, the way that unfortunately a face lift yeti wouldn't.

It makes me sick to look at it now, but when I first saw the Toyota FJ cruiser(what a rubbish name) I liked the way it was strikingly different!