Worth replacing chain tensioner in a 59 vRS 2.0 tsi as precaution?

If you really want it done you can get away with just changing the timing chain tensioner, at 40 quid or so for the part and 3 or 4 hours. Other items are recommended but not that essential unless they get damaged doing the job e.g. getting the cover off. There are some one time use bolts involved but I doubt many people ever renew one use bolts. Engine mount bolts have been known to break though so it's a choice.

See where you coming from but the full job comes with a 2 year warranty so if it fails then its a new engine

I doubt the single tensioner method would get the same Skoda warranty...

I await another dealers price and rationale of what needs placing

Is this identical for the 1.8? May sound stupid but I read on here it's the same unit, just... different... somehow! :)

I have searched the Internet for a definitive answer to this but without success. I did read that pistons and crankshaft are different, and the engine ECU must be too. A look at ETKA would provide add more details.

See where you coming from but the full job comes with a 2 year warranty so if it fails then its a new engine

I doubt the single tensioner method would get the same Skoda warranty...

I await another dealers price and rationale of what needs placing

I will be interested to see what you report next. :)

I doubt if the price varies between dealers

You just can never know what they replace of what definitely needs replacing

I have been left more confused than before!

Do all the chains need replacing? all the tensioners???

£750 seems steep for this work, a normal engine just has one belt.

I wonder if I will know exactly what needs changing

I just said that I wanted to change the tensioner and then they hit me with that bill

It almost feels like they dont want to do it so they give a daft quote.

But if the tensioner fails.... its a new engine!

But if the tensioner fails....

You've answered your own quandary. If this is worrying you and you want to get this work done, you only need to have the one tensioner replaced. Unless your car has done a lot of miles, the chains should be fine.

• Like 1

The OP said tensioner as in single and I thought there was just the one

it appears there may be two of the damn things and a whole host of other bits and bobs

I await the other dealers reply and then take it from there

The OP said tensioner as in single and I thought there was just the one

it appears there may be two of the damn things and a whole host of other bits and bobs

I await the other dealers reply and then take it from there

There are two but it's the cam chain one that fails, and the reason it appears to fail isn't there for the other one. If it wasn't for these reports of failures none of the other items like the chain would ever get replaced unless they became noisy.

I saw that too. I wonder where this figure of 61 came from. Those failures don't really concern me. The noises made on here have been about Octavia vRS failures, and that's all I'm really worried about. I've looked for Golf GTi failures as they're very similar. The Tiguan may have the same basic engine but it's a very different vehicle.

One thing that is interesting though, is that many failures seem to be on cars with auto gearboxes. The theory seems to be that leaving it in park, without using the handbrake, allows the car to rock back. The reverse direction of the engine puts strain on the tensioner, breaking it. I don't know whether that's what's happening but it sounds kind of plausible. I wasn't able to determine what 'boxes all the Octavia and Golfs had.

So parking a manual on a hill, and leaving in the gear opposite to the down hill direction might not be a good idea then...!

So parking a manual on a hill, and leaving in the gear opposite to the down hill direction might not be a good idea then...!

Sounds that way. When you look at the layout of the engine, the theory sounds fairly plausible to me when you imagine the leverage on the guide on the tensioner side, because the guide is quite long.

tsitimingchain.png

• Like 1

26/02 Called my local dealer, Simpsons of Colne, in Lancashire, spoke to Ross who priced up the job...

Apparently he says there are 2 tensioners???? and 2 chains??? a whole host of other bits too

a full day of a job and comes to £750!!!

Changing the tensioner on its own seems to the small part

anyway not sure what to do...ringing other Skoda dealers for second opinion

Thanks for the info - I had the letter from Preston Simpsons offering the job at a 'special price', now I know what that price is :sweat:

Do we assume that there will be independents able to do the same job for less? Although that said I've got an extended warranty from WD and so I suspect I'm tied to main dealers for any kind of servicing as part of my 'small print'...

OK, how does it fail? mechanically break, or lose some hydraulic pressure?

If the engine tuns in the reverse direction, it puts force on the tensioner and breaks the ratchet, releasing the tension. Obviously this happens whilst the engine isn't running, so the next time it's started the chain jumps before the oil pressure builds in the tensioner.

I think there have been about five failures reported on the forum IIRC? Skoda have fut the bill 100% where the cars were still under warranty as far as I can see and on mine they paid the majority of the cost under goodwill as I was out of the warranty period but had a full main dealer history.

Having said that if I had an early car out of warranty it would seem a good idea to upgrade to the later design.

There is no way vag would do a recall on all of these engines if the failure rate is so low.

Rob, hope you can offer a bit of advice.... This has just happened to my car and the dealer reckons £7.2k to replace the engine. I bought the car for just over £8k.....bugger! He has gone away to "see if they can" cover some of the cost with good will.

My car is a 2009 octavia vrs, six months out of warranty and has a full dealer service history..... Last serviced just shy of six months ago.

I suppose what I am, asking is just how much of the cost did they cover for you in good will? From what you said above i think we are in similar positions and i am shortly going to have to take some action.

Any advise, thoughts, help greatly appreciated.

Ali

Sorry to hear of your Engine failure - I would also open a case with Skoda customer services to alert them to the failure and I would be firm about expecting not to foot the bill for a design flaw if it is indeed the tensioner that has failed.

Paul

Agreed, there is nothing to lose and much to gain. When you open the case make sure they understand that you know about the design flaw.

BTW, £7.2K for the replacement seems very expensive, other posts I've seen seem to indicate around £5k.

Thanks Paul, I certainly will be making my frustration clear.

What i am really looking for is some sort of precedent where skoda have played ball and taken a large chunk of the hit....

Anyone had that? Or better?

Thanks, Ali

Ah, ok. Thanks for that Bubbles. That's the sort of think that can save a fella a lot of money?

Anyone know how much a new engine (2l auto) would cost to buy and get fitted NOT at the dealership? Is this a bad idea?

Thanks

If the engine tuns in the reverse direction, it puts force on the tensioner and breaks the ratchet, releasing the tension. Obviously this happens whilst the engine isn't running, so the next time it's started the chain jumps before the oil pressure builds in the tensioner.

Does this problem apply to all VAG tsi engines?

Thanks Paul, I certainly will be making my frustration clear.

What i am really looking for is some sort of precedent where skoda have played ball and taken a large chunk of the hit....

Anyone had that? Or better?

Thanks, Ali

Yes, this happened to me.... Skoda footed the entire bill... And mine didnt even have full service history from a main dealer (serviced myself)

Dont accept anything less than complete payment!