Going Electric... Richard's EV thread.

BossFox

Yes, as the battery is quite big, they charge very quickly if they are run down and there is lots of space.

30 minutes can add as much as 150 miles.

But with the car's range and the network of Super Chargers that only work on a Tesla you are not really limited at all.

I could drive 200 miles from Essex to Devon, zap it at Exeter on the way back for 30 minutes and that would be the only stop I'd have to make.

Are you going to keep it topped-up at work, as you used to with your Leaf?

Thunk, is it bigger / smaller than your A8, 'cos ISTR that you had parking issue with the Audi?

Nice beastie to have though, good looking, spacious, quick & saving the planet, all in the same Car!

I know it doesn't make much financial sense to buy, but are you not tempted to have a play in the 0-60 in 2.8 seconds version?

I had a go in the 3.2 second version.

It's absurd.

Neck busting launch, felt quicker launch than a GT-R.

But at 50mph stomping on it there wasn't a massive difference. Noticeable, but not huge to the car I ordered.

A lot of the cost I expect is making the car able to handle the huge launch stress. On top of the bigger motors.

For the £15k price difference it's not worth it IMO, I'd rather have 10% more range and live with a 0-62mph time of 4.2 seconds.

It's a big family car after all...

• Like 1

Thunk, is it bigger / smaller than your A8, 'cos ISTR that you had parking issue with the Audi?

It's a foot shorter and very fractionally wider.

Should be able to live with it...

Plan to chop it in at 3 years old for the smaller Tesla model III.

Due out in 2 or 3 years, should be Merc C class sized.

So about that flux capacitor or a big spinning disc directly behind the large velvet-covered driving throne. You optioned either of them?

(Surely someone else remembers the lovely Rod Taylor?)

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 3

So about that flux capacitor or a big spinning disc directly behind the large velvet-covered driving throne. You optioned either of them?

(Surely someone else remembers the lovely Rod Taylor?)

Is there a "Big Bang" reference in there?

Is there a "Big Bang" reference in there?

Nooooo. Sorry for the high-jack Richard

It's Back to the Future and the Time Machine.

:(

Well sort of, in that the full size prop from the 1960 George Pal version of TTM appears in one episode of TBBT.

Well sort of, in that the full size prop from the 1960 George Pal version of TTM appears in one episode of TBBT.

:D We could derail this thread very easily

Tesla have done an amazing thing when you think about it. From left-field they appear with the first true halo electric car, not a bodge or a small easy to build commuter, but a real world desirable car. The motoring pages on the interweb are crammed to bursting with stories about manufacturers trying to build fully EV cars that people actually want, or trying to justify why they have gone down a different route (ie they were caught napping). Several years with no opposition worth talking about and that is in one of the biggest and most researched markets in the world. Clever peeps at Tesla :)

That was quick,.. I did ask for a price on a tesla couldn't get one, a shame, would have been fun though. Not had my order confirmed as yet, looks like next May/June for my new one.

Have you been to a dealer?

Other than that it's all pretty much done online.

Have you been to a dealer?

Other than that it's all pretty much done online.

I use NHS solutions, they have an online quoting system, the tesla quote was referred to the team and I didn't chase it up as in hindsight the car probably wouldn't suite me, bit big and I'd kill the range with my driving style. Looking forward to seeing your one when you get it.:)

I'll sit tight for the Merc, chuck the charging cable away then give it some.. :)

• Like 1

I bet Tesla will be earning a few £££ out of that with the EV tech patents they hold.

They have never said they want to be the main EV maker, they want to goad other makers into action... then collect the money. :)

• Like 1

It does that too :D It is more to do with the elegant shapes and lines. It isn't as fussy as other cars in the class (petrol and diesels one obviously). Audi with their crease lines and harder surfaces, or BMW with their flame surfacing etc. I was thinking more like the 3200 especially around the front, not that it apes the design, just there is a smoothness to the overall shape. A certain cohesiveness.

I am seriously talking out of my posterior and I am still sober !

Just had a ganders at a Tesla in Cambridge. They were in he shopping centre with a model S. Never realised there were an additional 2 seats in the boot! Such an awesome looking car with some cool tech (that centre console!)

I want one! Going to be a few years though :(