Going Electric... Richard's EV thread.

BossFox

A weekend away in the Soul EV.

First, let me just be clear.

It is better than the LEAF.

Yes, the boot is smaller and you can't check the charge on your phone.

But it's just a better thought out package for normal use.

Friday night we set off.

Planning to travel 70 odd miles and charge at Cobham services on the M25, where there are TWO Rapid Chargers.

We arrive after driving 72 miles with the family in the car and climate control on all the way to find out that one isn't working (looks dead/switched off) and the other has a fault.

Quick check on Google Maps and the next Rapid on our route (Fleet Services on the M4) is 22 miles further on.

Now in the LEAF I'd be getting worried right about now, as I'd have had around 10% of the battery left and no way to get to the next services or back to the last one.

However, with it's 10% bigger battery I am just slightly worried in the KIA.

It's still showing 28% battery.

We set off, keep the climate control on and just drive sensibly, then hit 50mph zone for most of the M3 to the services.

Arrive at Fleet services with 11% battery still left, after going 94 miles without getting hot or cold. :)

Thanks to the long 50mph zone and plenty of downhill we didn't even get into single battery percentage figures.

pWbtlA.jpg

Then about 12 miles or so later we arrive at the hotel and plug in. 106 miles, one quick 10 minute "splash and dash".

Come out Saturday to a fully charged car, so all our running around taking the children to a few places and back to the hotel for a full charge in the evening.

Sntnsz.jpg

Sunday, 14 miles down to the Steam Railway at New Alresford, Hampshire.

1T119x.jpg

Then 82 miles back to Thurrock services on the M25 in Essex, so 96 miles on a charge.

On the way back, with the weather nice we decided to plod along and have the climate control off.

End result was we got 96 miles to Thurrock (Two chargers, one faulty, one working) and still had 22% of the battery left.

24 miles from home, we could have done the whole trip (120 miles!) on a single charge if we'd had to as we set of being sensible in the morning.

Overall there are two things I took away from using the KIA this weekend.

1. The charging network is becoming a bit of a joke.

Checking up on Zap-Map Thurrock in Essex has a charger out, Fleet services has a charger out (only working one is Southbound) and Cobham has both chargers out.

So on the whole of the South section of the M25 there is one working charger out of four, and that's just for Southbound traffic.

South Mimms on the North was also showing a Charger fault.

A sign of things to come maybe as more people by EVs and the Chargers get heavy use?

70%+ of Rapid Chargers down on the M25 is going to lead to a lot of upset EV owners.

We only got away with it as we had the KIA and it has an extra 15 miles of range over the LEAF.

2. The KIA is just a better car than the LEAF.

That bit of extra range makes a big difference when you are trying to get from one place to another if there are charging issues and having a real world 100 mile range really helps.

Plus, while the KIA lacks a few features of the LEAF, it is just a better designed package with other extra nice touches.

It's clear it came along afterwards and many of the "it'd be nice to have" features the LEAF lacks are there on the KIA.

Also, came across the first Renault ZOE I've ever seen in "the wild" the other day.

0oe6XT.jpg

Saw it gaining on me, just before a services the other day.

So put my foot down a bit to make sure I got there first. :D

In normal use I'd happily say the LEAF has a range of 85 miles and the KIA 100 being a bit sensible, but using the heating.

Obviously both with do a certain amount more if you set out at the start with your brain in range extender mode.

• Like 2

Friday night we set off.

Planning to travel 70 odd miles and charge at Cobham services on the M25, where there are TWO Rapid Chargers.

We arrive after driving 72 miles with the family in the car and climate control on all the way to find out that one isn't working (looks dead/switched off) and the other has a fault.

Quick check on Google Maps and the next Rapid on our route (Fleet Services on the M4) is 22 miles further on.

Now in the LEAF I'd be getting worried right about now, as I'd have had around 10% of the battery left and no way to get to the next services or back to the last one.

We set off, keep the climate control on and just drive sensibly, then hit 50mph zone for most of the M3 to the services.

Arrive at Fleet services with 11% battery still left, after going 94 miles without getting hot or cold. :)

Thanks to the long 50mph zone and plenty of downhill we didn't even get into single battery percentage figures.

pWbtlA.jpg

Then about 12 miles or so later we arrive at the hotel and plug in. 106 miles, one quick 10 minute "splash and dash".

Come out Saturday to a fully charged car, so all our running around taking the children to a few places and back to the hotel for a full charge in the evening.

Sntnsz.jpg

1T119x.jpg

Then 82 miles back to Thurrock services on the M25 in Essex, so 96 miles on a charge.

On the way back, with the weather nice we decided to plod along and have the climate control off.

End result was we got 96 miles to Thurrock (Two chargers, one faulty, one working) and still had 22% of the battery left.

24 miles from home, we could have done the whole trip (120 miles!) on a single charge if we'd had to as we set of being sensible in the morning.

Checking up on Zap-Map Thurrock in Essex has a charger out, Fleet services has a charger out (only working one is Southbound) and Cobham has both chargers out.

So on the whole of the South section of the M25 there is one working charger out of four, and that's just for Southbound traffic.

A sign of things to come maybe as more people by EVs and the Chargers get heavy use?

70%+ of Rapid Chargers down on the M25 is going to lead to a lot of upset EV owners.

We only got away with it as we had the KIA and it has an extra 15 miles of range over the LEAF.

That bit of extra range makes a big difference when you are trying to get from one place to another if there are charging issues and having a real world 100 mile range really helps.

Plus, while the KIA lacks a few features of the LEAF, it is just a better designed package with other extra nice touches.

It's clear it came along afterwards and many of the "it'd be nice to have" features the LEAF lacks are there on the KIA.

Also, came across the first Renault ZOE I've ever seen in "the wild" the other day.

0oe6XT.jpg

In normal use I'd happily say the LEAF has a range of 85 miles and the KIA 100 being a bit sensible, but using the heating.

Obviously both with do a certain amount more if you set out at the start with your brain in range extender mode.

If you can't charges at Thurrock Services, the nearby IKEA has two charging points.

DC

• Like 1

Friday night we set off.

pWbtlA.jpg

Sntnsz.jpg

1T119x.jpg

0oe6XT.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed the Mid-Hants, nice to see that the Schools (925) was in service.

Back in the days when the line was a diversionary route (to Winchester) for the main line, it was known as "over the Alps" by

loco crews, 'cos of the two climbs to the summit at Medstead.

DC

• Like 2

If you can't charges at Thurrock Services, the nearby IKEA has two charging points.

DC

Yes, I've used IKEA before when I had my LEAF. :)

I have to agree that the charging infrastructure is a bit unreliable.

Since I got my Leaf I have only used it for commuting and local journeys. It's just not been worth the risk for me taking it further afield. Shropshire is a bit of the beaten track for rapid chargers.

I very nearly took the Leaf to London for a weekend away a few weeks back but it would have taken 5 hours each way. Just one service station off-line could have ruined the weekend for me and my passengers.

In the end I took my Fabia vRS - 90mph most of the way,  2.5 hours door to door and the fuel light didn't even come on. Zero range anxiety! 

I love my Leaf but there's no way I'd have it as my only car!

The Soul look great Richard, maybe I'll get one when my lease expires on the Leaf!

• Like 1

I must say the kia looks nicer to me but the leafs very popular round here seen about 4 as taxis and keep seeing a fair few E NV200 in british gas colours

Rare to see a Soul EV as they have only been delivering small numbers and for a short time.

Nissan have been selling EVs for 4 years now and doing some amazing deals to ensure they stay as number 1 in EV sales.

We did 320 miles at the weekend at saw 4 or 5 LEAFs and they were all away from urban areas.

Loads around where I work in London.

That makes it sound like the Soul EV is probably marginally possible for getting between my place and my Mum's (120 road miles, but includes a couple of lowish passes that are presently work climbing and engine leaning on car a touch downhill (not quite closed throttle so no regen). There's presently no recharge facility that I know of, and if there were it would be about 90 miles from one end and 30 from the other.

• 3 months later...

I understand they can charge pretty quick too.

Yes, as the battery is quite big, they charge very quickly if they are run down and there is lots of space.

30 minutes can add as much as 150 miles.

But with the car's range and the network of Super Chargers that only work on a Tesla you are not really limited at all.

I could drive 200 miles from Essex to Devon, zap it at Exeter on the way back for 30 minutes and that would be the only stop I'd have to make.

• Like 1

Cool.

Just looked at a map and there are loads of Tesla super chargers. 120kw they chuck out! Wowzers!

How much do they cost to use?

Edited by Phil-E

The D doesnt just have the insane mode. It has the front wheels driven too. That is why it is so fast (besides the almost 700bhp it has). 

It also has some front motor(s). And it does 250km/h instead of 200km/h for the normal p85. (not that this will be important, driving in the UK).

But watch out using the super chargers! They will exhaust the batteries pretty fast. And shouldnt be used too often.

Won't use them that often with a 300 mile range and Telsa warranty the battery for 8 years/unlimited miles.

Not sure about the SuperChargers, but I know on the LEAF using the Rapid chargers has next to no adverse effects.  Despite what people claimed several years ago.

The D doesnt just have the insane mode. It has the front wheels driven too. That is why it is so fast (besides the almost 700bhp it has). 

It also has some front motor(s). And it does 250km/h instead of 200km/h for the normal p85. (not that this will be important, driving in the UK).

Assume you mean P version, as D is all the twin motor versions.

All Tesla Model S cars can now be bought in single (rear drive) or twin motor (four wheel drive).

My 90D is the twin motor version.  I guess that's why it hits 62mph in 4.2 seconds despite not being the Performance version.

Certainly quick enough for a daily.  And year round usability of 4x4.

• Like 1

And the best thing about it all is that it's silent. As good as the likes of an Audi A8 3.0 TDI is in terms of refinement etc you can't beat the instant torque and silence of a motor.

Ev's have certainly got better even in the last couple of years, same Skoda arnt doing a copy of the e-up

Yeah I did think it a shame. I guess it's a marketing thing. Just like Seat or Skoda don't have a Hybrid (Golf GT-E).

I had a brief drive of an e-up and it was cool. Pretty nippy acceleration and due to the way it was delivered much nicer to drive than a manual gearbox and 1.0 engine. It's just the range that kills this type of car which is where the Model S gets it right.

Phil