1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

I was linked to this thread from a thread on a GTI forum im a moderator of. Theres quite a few threads currently running on the GTI forum of 2009 and early 2010 cars engines timing chain tensioner failing.

We started a seperate thread which we are keeping up to date with the list of forum members cars tensioner has gone faulty causing the timing chain to slip. This thread is simply an information thread and seperate threads are running about the cases and discussion of the issue and causes. (Please use those threads if you want to contribute and ask any questions so we can keep the sticky list thread clean)

I thought this may be useful to this forum members and owners of the Skoda octavia vRS whos cars have suffered the same issue.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=262793.0 (list of owners so far)

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=75.0 (Forum)

VWuk and VWgermany know of this issue even though they say otherwise!

But 9 out of 10 times VW Germany quickly supply an engine free of charge after seeing the fault code and after initial diagnoses as they know this is an issue which imho they want to try and keep quite about.

The tensioner been revised a few times and a note in ETKA to never use any of the old versions even if in stock is a bit of a giveaway too.

Anyone thats ever seen the tensioner on the 2009-2010 cars will understand why they fail as the ratchet is imho a very poor weak design.

It may also be worth looking at www.golfmk6.com as there are plenty of threads on the American forum whos cars have also suffered this fault. There is also a howto DIY on that forum on how to change the tensioner.

Sorry if i repeated anything from the last 11 pages of this thread i have not read it all yet but am going too now.

Edited by SnoopyG
  • Like 2

More and more evidence that VAG are well aware of this issue, if only they would come out with a statement saying that engine failures due to a poorly designed tensioner will be covered, we would all rest easily. I guess that would mean publicly admitting to there being an issue though.

If I decide to keep mine long term, I may pay for the latest design to be fitted by my dealer, giving me a degree of piece of mind and in theory two years warranty of a failure once out of the 3 year warranty.

Same as Porsche. There is an engine fault on the earlier Boxster engines up to about 2007 when the y changed the engine!  An intermediate drive shaft was prone to failure. Porsche denied all knowledge so no help there! Most people inc. me bought a warranty. Tesco were the cheapest at around £250 and covered complete engine. That lasted for about 2 years then they stopped it as too many Boxster an Range Rovers were cl;aiming. New Boxster engine then circa. 2008/9 were around £ 10.000 fitted.

But as usual the Yanks had a workround for it and some people took that road.

I sold my Mk1 vrs estate 18 months ago  55k and no majors. Got a 2012/13 VRS estate know and well pleased with it, so far!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I am looking at an Octy RS on Saturday and have been doing a little digging.  Can anyone confirm if this engine is one of the affected as the dealer I spoke to reckons it is not.

2011 VRS

Built:  07-12-2010

Eng code: CCZA

G/Box code: KZC

They say this engine has the tensioner on the side and not the top by the cams if that makes any sense.  Looking at ETOS with the VIN number I can see what they are talking about so I think i may be ok.

I can't be sure about this but, ... my tensioner was also at the side. On my engine there was a piece of plastic mounted on part of the head (it pushed down on the cam chain) near the cams that broke off when the valves hit the pistons. I think the ONLY way to be sure is to pull the engine apart and check that it's the latest version.

That should have a newer design tensioner - but not the latest version. It might be worth getting the latest fitted as part of the deal and contribute something towards the work so you have two years warranty.

That should have a newer design tensioner - but not the latest version. It might be worth getting the latest fitted as part of the deal and contribute something towards the work so you have two years warranty.

Would be great BUT i am buying privately. Might get it done at the dealer any way as I plan on getting an extended warranty. car is only 15 days out of warranty now.

Hi everyone. I am looking at an Octy RS on Saturday and have been doing a little digging. Can anyone confirm if this engine is one of the affected as the dealer I spoke to reckons it is not.

Unfortunately for you the CCZA is one of the two problematic TSI engines which are the subject of this thread. The car you are considering may have the first revision of the tensioner but there have been a further 2 revisions since. The bill for changing the tensioner could be way over £600. I don't think that any of our members has had the job done yet and posted what it cost.

Amazing since the part only costs thirty odd quid!!! Oh well, i am also looking at a 61 plate too as the seller of the 60 plate has not returned my call and I am ready to part with my money.  His loss I guess but I also reckon the 61 plate should be a safer bet?

OK so the 61 plate is the same engine code :-(

Edited by jc_boc

Any F/L TSi will be the same engine and will suffer from the same potential issue. I believe that the latest revision tensioner was released mid 2012. Don't let that put you off though as it is a cracking car overall.

Just factor in a warranty or having the very latest tensioner fitted.

Any F/L TSi will be the same engine and will suffer from the same potential issue. I believe that the latest revision tensioner was released mid 2012. Don't let that put you off though as it is a cracking car overall.

Just factor in a warranty or having the very latest tensioner fitted.

Agree.  If i get the 61 plate, it still has warranty till December this year, will try and get an extended warranty added on top of that.  the missus is really happy about since she is from the CZ lol. Getting excited!!!

• Like 1

Digging around it looks like the Mark III vRS uses the same tensioner, all be it that the part number is 06K 109 467 P where-as the latest listed for the Mark II vRS is 06K 109 467 K.

That would strongly suggested that they are now up to a P revision as the last letter usually signifies the revision of a part (sometimes only a change of supplier can be marked by a letter revision).

Are the Mk III 1.8 and 2.0TSI engines the same basic design as the Mk II versions but tweaked for more power?

Yes it looks like it, 220 is only 10 bhp more than the Golf GTi got with their factory tuned version of the Mark II TSi unit. After-market tuners take it out to more than that so it wouldn't be surprising if it was just a higher state of tune, maybe a different turbo.

Yes, I think that the 1.8 and the 2.0 TSI are basically the same engine; from a 2010 brochure, the cylinder bore is the same for both engines at 82.5 mm. the bigger capacity is gained by the longer stroke of the 2 litre - 92.8 mm as opposed to 84.1 mm for the 1.8.

I had an early 2010 1.8TSI Elegance, fantastic motor, it was a real bummer to discover some time ago that the engine had this potential tome bomb.   Skoda deny all knowledge and have done their reputation no good at all.  After some considerable thought, I traded the Octy in a few weeks ago and got a really good price. I needed to downsize anyway - times are hard.

What really finished me off was Skoda denying there was a problem with the tensioners on TSI engines. They must think some of us are stupid. Otherwise, my 1.8TSI was one of the best cars I've ever had.

I'll join the club.

59 plate vRS 67k FDSH

Went yesterday at idle on a busy 4 lane roundabout which was fun! Had it looked at by my local garage who have recommended I contact Skoda. Waiting for call back from my main dealer.

Edited by Grad

I'll join the club.

59 plate vRS 67k FDSH

Went yesterday at idle on a busy 4 lane roundabout which was fun! Had it looked at my local garage who have recommended I contact Skoda. Waiting for call back from my main dealer.

I hope you get a good outcome - keep us posted.

• Like 1

News from the dealer. Its not the tensioner. The cams have been starved of oil (wish I could remember the name of the part mentioned, maybe a loader? So I need 2 new cams and various other top end bits . Total cost around 1600 including a goodwill payment of 20% from Skoda.

Ouch, but nowhere as expensive as timing chain tensioner failure. Make sure the latest version of that tensioner is fitted during the repair, and a new timing chain, even if you have to pay for both.

• Like 1

still so tempted with a Petrol 2010-2011 VRS - but still a bit off-put by this thread

I'd know even with warranty (I'm only looking at buying from a main dealer) - it would be on the back of my mind no matter the very slim chance of the failure occuring

would I be right in thinking that if I bought one - paid circa 600 and got the Tensionner part change - that'd be perma fixed so to speak ? even if maybe a waste of the 600 as chance the failure would never have happened anyway - but maybe worth it for the peace of mind (the VRS's are great value anyway)

get a VRS CR and slightly less performance

or get a Seat Cupra (which still uses the older Belt driven engine I believe)

cheers :)