1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

Just to add my car to the ever growing list .. 59 plate octavia VRS (with a timing CHAIN) would not start - no warning, yup the chain had slipped and bang when the valves -- new engine on the way, SUK reasonably helpfull 60% contribution as outside warantee > 3years & > 60k miles (actually about 76K) Skoda factory no assistance at all ---total bill at the moment 2700 (approx)  ... grr

Edited by DICKEAST

The engine code is on the sticker in the boot and inside the front cover of the service record booklet, and also on the vehicle registration document. The 1.8TSI engine (CDAA) is affected too along with variants of 2.0/1.8TSI engines across the VAG range. HTH.

Hi neil_f,

thanks for the efforts so far, hope your next post succeeds.  Is it possible on this forum to attach a pdf so that it has the correct colours, font and illustrations so no-one can claim it is a forgery!

DICKEAST,  

sorry to hear you are another victim.  Do try and push for the dealer to give you a specific report as to the primary cause of failure, in particular confirm the chain tensioner part number and ask if the tensioner failed the 'push back' test described in neil_f's copy of TPI 2024485/5 above.  It appears that you may have a claim under the sale of goods act, see earlier postings on this topic.  I have been told the warranty expiration does not affect your rights under this act.

Auric

I think this is covered earlier in this topic.  Mine was in the front page of my service book.

Still no further news on mine.

On VWvortex there is mention of failures affecting the Tiguan and Touran, and also the Golf with the 1.4TSI engine in addition to the 2.0TSI. :(

Day 3, have heard nothing about my car today...will ring dealer tomorrow, no news good news and the wife likes the new 1.4tsi Octy loan car

Speaking to Toyota warranty about the incident they say Skoda would not have a leg to stand on whilst car in warranty, and I for one can vouch for Toyota even after warranty expires (yes I work for Toyota) Just hope the VAG group act the same way :sweat:

Phil :wonder:

I have to admit all of this is scaring the bejesus out of me. Would be just my luck to be in the middle of nowhere with no mobile reception when this happens to me. And it all just feels a little inevitable from what I'm reading here. I'll be sure to add myself to the list in the (hopefully) distant future.

@ Monkeyalan, just down the road from you...... I only had my car for 3 weeks, picked it up from Harrogate and drove like a dream with no warning the wife went to start Tuesday morning and wham bam engine now trashed. Not really sure what to say bud but depending on the outcome my view of timing chained engines has changed, I would much rather change a cambelt more frequently

Forgot to say it would seem this happens more on the "morning after" so to speak....(vehicle stood)

Phil

Edited by piv34uk

@ Monkeyalan, just down the road from you...... I only had my car for 3 weeks, picked it up from Harrogate and drove like a dream with no warning the wife went to start Tuesday morning and wham bam engine now trashed. Not really sure what to say bud but depending on the outcome my view of timing chained engines has changed, I would much rather change a cambelt more frequently

Forgot to say it would seem this happens more on the "morning after" so to speak....(vehicle stood)

Phil

So you are! I'm often on my way through Bicester I'll look out for you. I assume with the red rather than the white one for the foreseeable! 

Having brought this potential issue up with Skoda UK (my warranty is up next June) they emailed me the following:

Further to our conversation I can confirm that you are able to obtain an extended warranty for when your manufacturers warranty

expires.

The details as mentioned are as follows:

Car Car plan - Telephone number 08445 738000

Neil_F,

well done this will be helpful for all of us with current issues and also those that will follow us.  There is one little bit missing that would help to complete the picture.  I assume you must have entered some vehicle details into the software to find the above.  Would you be able to pdf a screenshot with that input screen displayed.  This is to rebuff what I was finally told which was: - 'it may exist but not for your type of vehicle'.

Thanks in anticipation.

Anyone know of a legal person that would confirm that the warranty is irrelevant.  We should be applying the sale of goods act to these defects as they appear to be an admitted manufacturing/ design fault which has been known about by VAG for some years.  Had I been informed of the possibility of the tensioner failure I would have happily paid for the uprated part to be fitted (more than 2 years ago!), assuming that it does actually correct the defect.

DGW

Well done for starting this thread.  Is it possible for you to add any more to your first list as there seems to be a number coming forward now?  Thanks

Hi Monkeyalan,

Do not get too anxious it may still be that this occurrence is fairly rare given the number of CCZA engines out there.  

It is just that for us unfortunate ones we would have been grateful for the opportunity to have been warned of the possibility of failure and when it does happen to us we would appreciate there being no arguments about replacing the engine without cost to our innocent selves.

Perhaps others may have a different opinion.

Thanks Neil_f,

Perfect, may I suggest that all of us forward this to our respective dealers tomorrow and see what response we get?

If anyone has access to other VAG forums it would be kind to post this for their users to use.

Hi all,

I share the pain of those who have already posted!

My 59 plate VRS with the TSI engine died on my driveway 3 weeks ago, same problem as everyone else (although I didn't know it at the time). My local Skoda dealer, Robert Eardley & Son in Newcastle Under Lyme currently have the car and have phoned me to say that a chain tensioner has failed and I now need a new engine.

The car is almost 4 years old and has done 39,000 it was purchased from Skoda last year and has a full Skoda service history. I was told the bill would be £5800 for a new engine, but as I was "loyal to the brand" they would offer a 45% Good Will gesture... £3190 I told them that wasn't acceptable, they then offered a further 10% off leaving me with a bill of just over £2000.

I am now dealing with the main customer service department and they are in the process of investigating the matter.

My opinion is that, as I have discovered, they knew about this issue before I bought the car a year ago but didn't warn me. I should have a good case under the Sales of Goods Act to fight this. I'm not parting with £2000 to pay for a faulty part that has wrecked my engine!

I will let you all know how I get on...

• Like 1

Hi Baiton202,

Again, so sorry to hear of your disaster but it sounds like you are going the right way,  hopefully we may get to a point of 0% for any of us.

At least your dealer has been honest about the cause and has not blamed it on a 'broken valve spring' or some other spurious reason.

Evert bit of info helps.

Hi all,

I share the pain of those who have already posted!

My 59 plate VRS with the TSI engine died on my driveway 3 weeks ago, same problem as everyone else (although I didn't know it at the time). My local Skoda dealer, Robert Eardley & Son in Newcastle Under Lyme currently have the car and have phoned me to say that a chain tensioner has failed and I now need a new engine.

The car is almost 4 years old and has done 39,000 it was purchased from Skoda last year and has a full Skoda service history. I was told the bill would be £5800 for a new engine, but as I was "loyal to the brand" they would offer a 45% Good Will gesture... £3190 I told them that wasn't acceptable, they then offered a further 10% off leaving me with a bill of just over £2000.

I am now dealing with the main customer service department and they are in the process of investigating the matter.

My opinion is that, as I have discovered, they knew about this issue before I bought the car a year ago but didn't warn me. I should have a good case under the Sales of Goods Act to fight this. I'm not parting with £2000 to pay for a faulty part that has wrecked my engine!

I will let you all know how I get on...

#123 and #132 may help.  

@nigelD -- thanks for the info.. I'll see if I can get the dealer to put pen to paper on that and consider SOGA route. I wasn't aware that 6 years was the limit, are there any other restrictions (mileage)?

Someone asked about Palmers/ Citygate - as far as I can tell Palmers have been bought by Citygate, which in turn is owned by Skoda. (That's what I was told by an ex-Skoda dealership. A lot of the big dealers are run as "franchises" by Skoda/VAG. also info from same source.

If I'm wrong--sorry!

DICKEAST,

I am not an expert on any of this but I understand that on a vehicle you are expected to have 6 years of reasonable use, I do not know about mileage.

If I have to go this route I will seek advice from Citizens advice or solicitor.

Interestingly this month's Evo magazine has a buying guide for the MK6 Golf gti and states "engine is basically sound, but a failure of the timing chain tensioner can have costly consequences". Sounds like it is a know problem then??

Day 4 heard nothing from dealer so rang them, we are to busy to do any checks at the moment but don't worry you have a loan car to use.....

Not really what I wanted to hear, I just need a "it will all be covered by warranty"

Also heard of a 1.4tsi being pulled into vw across the road from me with similar problems..

Phil

neil_f , Well spotted! All 'grist to the mill', still no solid news on my vahicle yet.

Phil, Probably worthwhile sending them neil_f's PDF on the TPI, at least it will make them aware you know what you are on about.

Been told heads coming off mine tomorrow (Sat) photos will then be sent to Skoda hq, been assured it wont cost me......... if only I could believe that I would sleep better

Phil