11111 1111.1 The Show Us Your Odo Thread! (now 12345 678.9) + Brisky Tree odo fun

FUBAR

The final one from Slimer before it was sold 70 miles later. Never fear, the Silver Slug will soon hit 31K though. 

51K.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Third time lucky - phew!:

IMG_4409.jpeg

If they were leagues I could've started looking for the Nautilus 😁

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Nearly!

Aw s***e.

20220323_092946.thumb.jpg.9852b38692f008e960b9a16763d061fb.jpg

That's happened me so many times lol 

• Like 2

The pleasure of seeing an LCD display change in microseconds really does not justify the anticipation, it is a hang up from earlier times and a younger person would need to have the reason for it explained to them or they would simply think that you are weird.

As many if not most on this forum are now younger than me I will explain that on an old style speedometer all the wheels would turn over together like a slot machine but very very slowly unless you were driving at warp speed, it put a much bigger strain on the cable and drive mechanism and often the wheels to the left would remain misaligned and look like someone had clocked the vehicle so you would anxiously keep looking down to see them gradually line up,  having to wait for 10 miles to pass, then 100 miles finally 1000 miles to finally be relieved that the odometer no longer looks like Arfur Daily has been at it and that the speedo drive, cable and speedo head worm gear have survived the latest attack on their vulnerabilities.

These days other than it being a milestone the whole thing is a non event yet we are all, myself included, drawn to it by magnetism.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, J.R. said:

The pleasure of seeing an LCD display change in microseconds really does not justify the anticipation, it is a hang up from earlier times and a younger person would need to have the reason for it explained to them or they would simply think that you are weird.

As many if not most on this forum are now younger than me I will explain that on an old style speedometer all the wheels would turn over together like a slot machine but very very slowly unless you were driving at warp speed, it put a much bigger strain on the cable and drive mechanism and often the wheels to the left would remain misaligned and look like someone had clocked the vehicle so you would anxiously keep looking down to see them gradually line up,  having to wait for 10 miles to pass, then 100 miles finally 1000 miles to finally be relieved that the odometer no longer looks like Arfur Daily has been at it and that the speedo drive, cable and speedo head worm gear have survived the latest attack on their vulnerabilities.

These days other than it being a milestone the whole thing is a non event yet we are all, myself included, drawn to it by magnetism.

I had a Nissan 300ZX which was a Japanese import and speedo and odo in KM's, there was a resistor pack you could get which would make the speedometer read in miles rather than KM's and Odo count in time with that (meant when it pointed at 30kph it was really 30mph. One of the worst strip downs of all time to get that cluster out to fit and while I was there I went to change the odo so the current mileage would be accurate as miles. Someone had been in there before me, absolutely gutted, cogs had been off locking pin had been out etc and a few evidential finger prints. 

Here is a random throw back to the older days (which I am sure I've shared on here before) of a wee run around Astra I bought to tow my bike for one journey then sold. I got one nice timing on the wee 1.6 8V 

pic.jpg

Edited by FUBAR
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, FUBAR said:

Here is a random throw back to the older days (which I am sure I've shared on here before) of a wee run around Astra I bought to tow my bike for one journey then sold. I got one nice timing on the wee 1.6 8V 

pic.jpg

Is that from a Mk3 Astra? My Mum had one after my Dad sold her Japanese-import Celica ST205... she wasn't pleased to come back to a bottle green Astra. :D

6 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Is that from a Mk3 Astra? My Mum had one after my Dad sold her Japanese-import Celica ST205... she wasn't pleased to come back to a bottle green Astra. :D

No idea what Mk is was tbh. Only Vauxhall I've ever owned. My leg was shattered and I couldn't walk needed something with a tow bar to go from NI to NL and this had 6 months tax, 10 months MOT and got it delivered to my door by a trader for £290. Drove it to and from the Netherlands and left it with a mechanic to sell on and refunded the remaining tax. Got £500 for it LOL. Was actually a good wee car, did what I needed happily. 

pic2.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FUBAR said:

No idea what Mk is was tbh. Only Vauxhall I've ever owned. My leg was shattered and I couldn't walk needed something with a tow bar to go from NI to NL and this had 6 months tax, 10 months MOT and got it delivered to my door by a trader for £290. Drove it to and from the Netherlands and left it with a mechanic to sell on and refunded the remaining tax. Got £500 for it LOL. Was actually a good wee car, did what I needed happily. 

pic2.jpg

Aye that's exactly like the one my Mum had except hers was green. I quite liked it, but she hated it since she knew what she had before. :D

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Aye that's exactly like the one my Mum had except hers was green. I quite liked it, but she hated it since she knew what she had before. :D

I had a 4 month old Octy vRS at time and was eager to get back to it lol. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

61k... the trip is what I've done in shy of a week. Ticked past 600 miles on the way home. Safe to say this week has been tiring! :D

20220416_131001.thumb.jpg.8b9c792655e1e7186b19569ad9ffdf62.jpg

Still, 61k miles isn't bad for a car that'll be 16 years old this year.

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

One of those ones that only happens once. Put away again for the night on that mileage, not bad for a 2013 lol 

IMG_20220515_164857-01.thumb.jpeg.06dfb8806a3ccc989eb112995b058885.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

BOGOF time. Bike was 6 days ago (note gap from 999 pic above lol) Ford was on way home tonight :party:

32K.jpeg

1K.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I missed 63k on mine since I was driving on the A78 at the time. :sadsmile:

I missed 31K above too 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

my turn, finally...

driving home after tonights trail run...

20220629_213546.thumb.jpg.6d60dca53ab4c1e20591e492b8ece454.jpg

20220629_213631.thumb.jpg.b4357febfddcccfc392869ad88706d0b.jpg

Donkey 2 turned 200k (km)

btw, its a number plate bulb ;)

Edited by mac11irl
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
Just now, @Lee said:

If you've not moved it since that pic, you can reset the trip and get three sixes on that as well.

Unfortunately I have. I've been using the trip to work out roughly my MPGs between tanks, so can't really reset it at these milestone intervals sadly.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Unfortunately I have. I've been using the trip to work out roughly my MPGs between tanks, so can't really reset it at these milestone intervals sadly.

At 66,600 reset and still get 66.6 for the win. It's at times like these you are authorised to break the tank average rules. Scolding Do It GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/04/2017 at 12:25, FUBAR said:

33790995630_c676821e52_b.jpg

11 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Only 666 miles to go until I summon the big man doonstairs.

20220820_193416.thumb.jpg.3f6cb00857b611b0c58ef8fbb4955600.jpg

make it so! 

• Love it! 1

12 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Aren't you using Fuelly?

2087652584_Screenshot2022-08-21at12_08_37.thumb.jpeg.f0f6c2ddd40dcbc0d31cb02d3c8cfdb2.jpeg

(Pic shamelessly plagiarised from Fubar, some three years ago)

Gaz 

• Haha 1