What tyres?

smithy961

Hey guys

Need two need rubbers for the front of the octy vrs and wondered what everyone thought for about 100 quid a corner. Looking at the falkens or the sessanta. I drive quite hard so want decent wear but also decent grip-asking too much? Currently got contis but I find their tonk in the wet and wear far too quickly. Any ideas people? Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

im currently running hankook s1 evo 2s, ive had them on the back for a while and ive just recently replaced my worn out snow tyres on the front as well.

I am very impressed with these tyres i had a blast home from work the other night in the pouring rain and they were solid , i drive very hard and couldnt get these to lose grip , i nudged a ton several times and never felt not in control once, even my mate said ******* hell these grip dont they!

camskill have them at £95 so in your price range they have also done well in several tyre tests

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s134p106980/Hankook_Tyres_Car_Hankook_K117_Ventus_S1_Evo_2_Hankook_K_117_-_225_40_R18_92Y_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_B_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

Couldn't get the vredesteins quick enough so went for the falken 453 all round. Worked out at 85 quid a corner fitted. Guy ordered them in and spoke very highly of them. Very slippy to start with, as any tyre is, so will be spinning them up for the next few days to get them scrubbed. Will report back with how there going.

Couldn't get the vredesteins quick enough so went for the falken 453 all round. Worked out at 85 quid a corner fitted. Guy ordered them in and spoke very highly of them. Very slippy to start with, as any tyre is, so will be spinning them up for the next few days to get them scrubbed. Will report back with how there going.

Please do I'm a big fan of the falken 452, would like to know about the 453s

Sent from my Galaxy S3, not a Crapple!

Well a week in and I'm feeling pretty happy with the 453's. not bad in the wet but now the roads are drying up they seem pretty good. A little light on the front at higher speeds but hang on well in the corners at speed. The back end feels really planted with hardly any sidewall flex. Not had a chance to test on standing water but the grooves seem good so can't see it being a huge issue. For the money you can't go wrong IMO. Hopefully they'll get even better once properly bedded in.

Had 452's on my old Seat Leon and they were a good tyre, i did however notice the MPG go down a little however i guess thats because they were a bit more grippy than the Dunlop SP sports that were on it previously...

Vreds are the job but too soft if your looking for value and you drive hard they didnt last me long, a while back had a set of maxxis got great wear and grip for the price but the pilots are unreal if you have the cash.

Edited by irishvrs

I've got 452 on vectra diesel, ok in the dry but don't rate them in the wet. Spin up really easy!

Always used to have toyo proxes T1R's on my vectra and my impreza before. Great tyre but for some reason they discontinued it

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just fitted Goodyear Eagles F1 (2) all round - you should be able to source them online for around the £105 mark (I used BlackCircles), worth the little extra. Noticed an immediate improvement from the Barum Bravuris that were on the car (which I found were decent) and hoping they will only get better once bedded in further.

I've got 452 on vectra diesel, ok in the dry but don't rate them in the wet. Spin up really easy!

Always used to have toyo proxes T1R's on my vectra and my impreza before. Great tyre but for some reason they discontinued it

I have Toyo Proxxy 4 all round on my Vrs, Good grip in all conditions

Best tyre I've ever used is the " Uniroyal Rain Sport " Awesome on the Dry, even better in the wet.

Continental Sport Contact 5's on mine..grippy and much quieter than my previous tyres (Toyo Proxes T1-R)

Are these your first set of conti 5's? If not, how would you rate their wear? I just had them mounted - got the last ones camskill had in stock - but not sure if I should have buyer's remorse in spending £75 a corner rather than the £55 for Uni rainsports. I know their grip and fuel efficiency is supposed to be excellent, but clueless on how long they will last in general, with the obvious caveat of it depending how the car is driven.

I also have conti contact 5's (205/40/17) and they are excellent. Wear rate is looking good even after a track day at Oulton park. Definatly better wear rate than my previous conti contact 3's which were also excellent tyres.

A couple days of using the conti 5s and whether it's imagined or real, they do seem better. 195/55/15 85v on rear, 195/55/15 91v on front. Perhaps it's due to the higher load rating but the fronts seem to be holding up much better in the corners and carrying the 1.9 block without having to boost the tire pressure vs my previous set

Edited by grafitti