Poor tyre wear

kgm

Also 'Y' rating is only good for 130mph which your car can exceed (I wonder does this invalidate your insurance?).

W rating is good for 168mph and Y is good for 186mph which I think our 170CR can't exceed. FWIW when I called my insurance about V rated tyres (149mph) for my other car (which it can exceed on paper) they said that for them, the car must only be road legal in the UK (70mph) so they were happy. Of course YMMV so do check!

W rating is good for 168mph and Y is good for 186mph which I think our 170CR can't exceed. FWIW when I called my insurance about V rated tyres (149mph) for my other car (which it can exceed on paper) they said that for them, the car must only be road legal in the UK (70mph) so they were happy. Of course YMMV so do check!

Oops, you're right. I was thinking of 'H'. Why don't they just write 130mph/210 km/h or whatever it is on the side wall? (there, not my fault ;) . Pesky manufacturers, standards bodies, etc! :rofl: )

Thanks for the replies, especially those that addressed my query. I'm not worried about the 'Y' versus 'W' issue. That's an error in the right direction. The issue I have is that the load index of '91' is insufficient - it needs to be '94'. 91 tyres don't seem to be classed as XL (reinforced) whereas 94 tyres are.

I have contacted Skoda UK who have passed it on to their technical dept. Also I have contacted the dealership who have invited me to have all the tyres checked next Monday. By then, I hope to have a definitive answer from Skoda to give me ammunition or to set my mind at rest.

• Like 1

True, and my mistake :-) Will remove the posts to clear it up!

No problem Too Tall! Nice to hear from you. Have admired a lot of your posts on the forum. Keep up the good work. :-)

• Like 1

Thanks...I might even try out that Ultra tyre. Which appearantely is a winter tyre. Did you know?  :swear:  :whew:  :D 

Nah, think you're wrong there. Those are lawn mower tyres and you definitely only use those in the summer ;-)

• Like 2

I was heading for 65k miles on my first set of Conti Premium Contact 2e on my Greenline, but sadly damaged the front two last week.  As I promised in a previous thread I have now gone back to Goodyear efficient Grip Performance which I have been happy with before.       Findings so far. The Goodyear are very quiet just like the Conti's, they brake very well in the wet. Using my motorsport rubber compound gauge I measured that they are only a tiny bit softer than the Conti's so should still get me good mileage. Too early to give mpg difference as they need a couple of weeks to settle in but they claim to have very low rolling resistance, so we will see.

Edited by Pesmog

Its more road noise for me.  Spending a few hours on a motorway can be irritating with the constant drone from the tyres.

I've just done my first motorway trip with the new 225/40/18 92 Y XL  Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres fitted to the rear.  The original Continental Sport Contact 2s are still on the front.  The car is much quieter now and the ride has improved.  It should be even better when I put Goodyear Eagle F1s on the front. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, especially those that addressed my query. I'm not worried about the 'Y' versus 'W' issue. That's an error in the right direction. The issue I have is that the load index of '91' is insufficient - it needs to be '94'. 91 tyres don't seem to be classed as XL (reinforced) whereas 94 tyres are.

I have contacted Skoda UK who have passed it on to their technical dept. Also I have contacted the dealership who have invited me to have all the tyres checked next Monday. By then, I hope to have a definitive answer from Skoda to give me ammunition or to set my mind at rest.

Had confirmation from Skoda UK technical dept that fitted tyre was inadequate and incorrect. Should be minimum 94W and that tyres on same axle should be same brand and tread pattern.

'Only tyres of the same size and type may be fitted to the vehicle with front-wheel drive. However,

the same brand and tread pattern must always be fitted to wheels on the same axle.'

Apparently dealer has confirmed mistake to Skoda. Hopefully will resolve problem to my satisfaction tomorrow when I visit dealer. Minded to put on 4 x 225/45/17R/94W Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance tyres.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance are winter tyres (which I'm not knocking for year round use) but they will be softer and smoother due to the rubber being optimised for low temperatures. Trade off is winter tyres get a bit marshmallowy in the corners above 15C in my experience (Continental 830, Goodyear Vector 4Season). Never unsafe but just a strange, unpredictable feeling. Have to agree with MarkyB77 though, there is a serene smoothness when running on winter tyres. If it's any help the factory fit Pirelli Cinturato P7s fronts were replaced at 18500 miles on my 170 TDI manual.

Sorry I made a mistake, its the Goodyear efficient grips, not ultra grips, doh...  I do not have winter tyres

I have put Goodyear Ultra Efficient Grip Performance 92W XL on my Skoda from the 92Y XL continentals that were on it, they are awesome, I would say without trying to sound an expert which I am not, you lose the top 3% of cornering (change of direction ability/ rigidity which I only put to use to just see how far it can be pushed, or basically in an emergency situation) but gain 50% on a much smoother (im not exaggerating) ride, 100% of the time, and quieter ride and much better wear, I have 10k on the front they look good for another 10-15k at least (continentals were looking about 2mm after 10k, but even if its only another 10k, I would have them for the comfort factor. My partner thinks it's transformed it from a Hardish Crashier ride, to an executive ride and this is just as a passenger in the front, she was amazed the difference a change of tyres made. Both sets inflated to 50% of the way between recommended Max, and Recommended Min. 2.7 Bar...  This is about right as 90% of my miles are with a load towing at times, and full load and roof box, as my daily mileage is only about 3 miles on my own. Tyre wear looked very even when I took them off, so I was happy with pressures.

I have drove top executive cars and I do feel like its has made an amazing difference, I think these cars are compromised in handling compared to BMW 5's obviously and even Audi A6's, but I think this car with the softer compound continentals and firmer ride make the car be driven harder than is necessary, even with 18" wheels the ride of this car now feels like it rides on 16" rims, which is nice as you go for these wheels for looks ... not performance, we are not on Need For Speed underground game here.

These tyres can be had for circa 100 per corner fitted... these are amazing... Goodyears all the way for me.

In terms of what I have reduced its the speed rating not the load rating, I have not reduced the rim size so the load rating does not need to be increased, like the 16" Superbs with 94 load ratings... rather than 92 ratings of the 18". Shoot me down if you don't like what you read but if you want a quiet smooth comfortable and efficient alternative to continentals, try them. They are great value and perfect in poor conditions,  the Continentals just didn't work in the snow, they were a JOKE in the snow to be honest, and I could easily spin them in the rain, before traction control decided enough was enough. Goodyears feel better by comparison in the rain, all my personal opinion obviously.

Edited