Someone put me out of my misery!

scottpcs

• Administrators

I have the 170 manual 4x4 in a superb platform.

The auto or manual debate is well rounded above, you want an auto. So did I.

I may of missed it, but do you want/need 4x4?

I was commuting to Manchester over the peak district daily when I swapped to mine, I wanted the 4x4 option, not getting into work wasn't really high on my agenda.

I paid the price for it over a dsg superb and paid daily in fuel economy, 70 on the motorway under cruise I get around 45... anywhere else, it's less, but I'm not known for taking it easy; except on straights and m-ways... Also the superb is big, so takes more to get her going, and stopping, shame I like b roads so much.

You also pay a small performance hit on flat out, which only applies when overtaking in short spaces or on a track, but you can get out of a corner faster blah blah. Maybe twice in 10years I've found the 4x4 in the dry to be handy, both times I was probably well into the red zone for being in control for a public highway.

Mine stock, felt similar to a FWD 140 in the dry, remapped, a 170 FWD in the dry. Thankfully it's not a dry country, so I get the grip more often than not. Just wish (I know you can now) get the 1704x4, that would be a nice safe overtaking car.

I went from a 90hp citroen xantia est to a 150hp Primera GT :kiss: , a 4x4 1.8t 210 Octy into a 220hp 1.8T vRS to a 1.9 109hp Roomster, it was a step down. But you know I had a lot of fun in the roomster making it smooth and therefore equally as swift. Certainly around Wales where NSL's are enforced. Where I noticed it the most was overtaking, gone were the opportunities I once had, had to think more about it. I jumped up to the superb, for my back and commute. 80miles day was knackering in the fun but not comfortable for me roomster. The superb, I drove to cornwall (6hours) and didn't feel like I'd done it, till I filled it up.

Hope the above helps in some way.

0 - 60 times may not be relevant for driving on the road, BUT they do prove a good comparison between two vehicles.

I test drove the a140CR (manual) Yeti and no it was not slow, but it did not have the required drive I was after (coming from a PD130 Superb), next up was the 170CR DSG Superb, the engine felt better (not perfect) BUT the DSG in that car was shocking, jerking when going into drive (both in1st and reverse) and not impressing me one bit.

In the Fabia vRS we drove the DSG box was faultless and we seriously considered one, the DSG in the Golf again left us underwhelmed, it has the potential of being a great box, it is not yet there IMO, if I did lots of town driving then I would probably buy one, fortunately I do very little driving in heavy traffic so I am more than happy with the manual box.

If I ever owned a DSG then it would always be under warranty, they cost far too much to repair when the mechatronic packs in (about 10% of VAG DSG’s are effected) this becomes just an inconvenience when it’s under warranty, if you had to pay the £1.5K repair cost yourself though then that is a different story.

I know you have your dislike of remapped cars for your own reasons, but I regularly drive a Shark Performance remapped 170CR and std 170CR, despite the remapped car being much heavier than the std car, it pulls sooooo much nicer throughout the whole of the rev range, it’s not about 0 - 60, it’s all about the whole driving experience.

The 170bhp Yeti is not available with a DSG.

The 140bhp Yeti is available with a DSG.

That is your choice !!!

As I understand it, its the same blo*dy engine. Remap the 140 DSG to make it feel like a Ferrari (LOL)...if you feel the need for speed !!!!!!! ......but make sure you wear a brown paper bag over your head when driving it to be sure that nobody knows you that are driving a sub standard Yeti. God almighty if the neighbours found out.

Please, please make a decision....and stop implying that any Yeti below a 170bhp is below quality, less of a car, not worthy you are scum if you drive anything less...because if you think this you have really missed the point of the Yeti.

• Like 2

As I understand it, its the same blo*dy engine.

No, it isn't!

From the readings from the Book of Yeti in the Bible according to The Plumber, the 140 engine is the same as the 110 bhp version, and the 170 is a different beast entirely.

Quite what that difference is I'm sure that he'll be along to clarify very shortly, and will explain to everyone's satisfaction.

Yes, make a b****y decision! While Macamra may be displaying too much impatience with your endless vacillation, I do sympathise with him. It would seem that the 'kudos' of driving a car with the most powerful available engine is important to you. Can't really see why, but if so - just buy it!

• Like 2

I have stayed of this thread up till now, but felt I must comment.

I totally agree with Macamra and hmibennett. There is no decision to make. You have the L&K on order, the engine/gearbox you wanted (not wan't) does not exist, so please, please, please just enjoy the L&K on order and stop keep asking the rest of us for our opinion. When I order a car it is my decision and mine only (maybe the wife can have some input). I hate to think what your poor wife must go through when you are choosing new furniture etc.

Anyway, I will wait for the inevitable reply.

The 170bhp Yeti is not available with a DSG.

The 140bhp Yeti is available with a DSG.

That is your choice !!!

As I understand it, its the same blo*dy engine. Remap the 140 DSG to make it feel like a Ferrari (LOL)...if you feel the need for speed !!!!!!! ......but make sure you wear a brown paper bag over your head when driving it to be sure that nobody knows you that are driving a sub standard Yeti. God almighty if the neighbours found out.

Please, please make a decision....and stop implying that any Yeti below a 170bhp is below quality, less of a car, not worthy you are scum if you drive anything less...because if you think this you have really missed the point of the Yeti.

Yes, make a b****y decision! While Macamra may be displaying too much impatience with your endless vacillation, I do sympathise with him. It would seem that the 'kudos' of driving a car with the most powerful available engine is important to you. Can't really see why, but if so - just buy it!

I have stayed of this thread up till now, but felt I must comment.

I totally agree with Macamra and hmibennett. There is no decision to make. You have the L&K on order, the engine/gearbox you wanted (not wan't) does not exist, so please, please, please just enjoy the L&K on order and stop keep asking the rest of us for our opinion. When I order a car it is my decision and mine only (maybe the wife can have some input). I hate to think what your poor wife must go through when you are choosing new furniture etc.

Anyway, I will wait for the inevitable reply.

OK OK!! Message received loud and clear!!

Firstly, however, for the information of certain individuals, I have not repeatedly asked for opinions on this since I started the thread but I have contributed throughout as part of a healthy discussion. Secondly, please don't make this personal, I'm not into tit for tat.

This was meant to be a thread about a genuine dilemma about a simple choice - faster engine or automatic gearbox, end of. I ordered the only engine available with a DSG gearbox but that doesn't mean I was 100% happy with that choice. Ever since, I've agonised over whether I should've gone for the faster engine and forsaken the gearbox but we're going over the same ground here again and again.

For the purposes of both this thread and everyone's sanity, decision is made. We (I'll!) stick with the 140 DSG that's on order.

It's got nothing at all to do with 'kudos' as you put it hmibennett, it's to do with my personal preferences and what I want. I couldn't care less if it said 'mine's bigger than yours' on the back of the car, it's what's under the bonnet and what matters to me that counts. If it was down to the 'kudos' of driving the most powerful car, I'd have gone straight for the 170 without consideration.

Thanks for all the contributions, I can't thank you all individually but there have been some very good points of view raised that's helped me make my final decision once and for all.

• Like 3

I'm too new to this forum to have sussed out the 'caring nature' of the other forum members yet but, if they're anything like most of my 'friends', you do realise that you're now going to be hearing:

"SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE 170 :moon: "

For the rest of your born days? :giggle:

• Like 1

I'm too new to this forum to have sussed out the 'caring nature' of the other forum members yet but, if they're anything like most of my 'friends', you do realise that you're now going to be hearing:

"SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE 170 :moon: "

You're probably right mate, most likely preceded by:

"LOOK AT THE PLEB IN HIS 140, WHAT A LOSER!"

Honestly, I don't have the time for such petty things, as I alluded to in my last post. As for the 'caring nature'... yeah...!

BIG POWER, LITTLE RICHARD!!

Editted for accuracy......................

and I've sent myself to the Corner!!

Scott,

It's called BANTER!!

• Like 2

and I've sent myself to the Corner!!

Scott,

It's called BANTER!!

I know the difference between banter and having a go - a very fine line at times. One or two people need to think before they speak, that's all I'm saying on the matter.

To be fair I've spent more than enough of my time weighing up the two choices and in the end just decided that it's not worth losing any sleep over.

Your edit did make me smile though!

Graham, pedant from the Epynt here....

It's spelt "edited" - with a single tee (as in 'tee-hee'!)

Edited by Freshacre

My normal drive is a Jag V6 diesel automatic, augmented slightly to around 310 bhp and nearly 700 Nm torque, so when it came to buying a Yeti for Mrs Gnomeface I didn't expect to enjoy it much. She had a preference for automatic, despite her other car being a Mazda MX-5 S 6-speed manual, and 4 wheel drive would be good if it could revert to 2WD for most driving.

We bought a DSG 140 4x4 Elegance and I actually found myself enjoying driving it! The DSG is so smooth and quick at shifting gears that the traffic lights GP is no great concern (particularly in the wet) - you just plant your foot on the floor and let the DSG do its work. Cruising on motorways at 80 is relaxed, with enough power to accelerate past CLODs (Centre Lane Owner Drivers) without holding up the reps in their Audis and BMWs. OK, I miss the sub 6-second sprint to 60 that I'm used to but there are few occasions to indulge it, and the regular journey between Devon and the Midlands takes only 10-15 minutes longer in the Yeti. I normally go for the maximum power option available for my price, but neither of us would wish to go back to a manual, even for 30 bhp extra.

you are right, sometimes I have to get out of my under powered 140 4x4 and push it up hills myself. Really frustrating !!!

n'importe quoi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes quite exhausting pushing mine up those Alpine mountain roads with 3 other POB, plus roof softbox and a boot full of stuff :giggle:

TP

Shame I haven't got a picture of my (so called) underpowered 140 4x4 towing a 1300kg caravan around the hills of Mid Wales whilst keeping to the speed limits and not holding anyone up.

:giggle: :giggle:

Mightn't it seem a bit picky to be worried about power and speed - and then consumption (plus/minus 5mpg?), in the same equation :think: ? JMO

Just to clarify - I didn't say it was slow; I said IMHO the 140 was underpowered and this was borne out by the consumption figures cf the 170. All over the same routes at the same time of year and no I'm not a boy racer (borne out maybe by the fact I used to get 60+mpg on the same routes etc out of my Passat that was quoted as doing 48mpg). As I said in my last post - it takes all sorts; it is just the 140 did not suit my requirements. Thank you and goodhinght :devil:

• Like 1